Author Topic: Last Gig You Went To  (Read 606 times)

bababarararacucucudadada

Last Gig You Went To
« on: April 13, 2017, 11:30:56 PM »
This should be suitably random.

Mine was The Fun Lovin' Criminals at the Looe Festival.

The Looe Festival is great by the way. You don't have to live like a warzone refugee It's a festival for people who don't want to submit themselves to the ordeals associated with festivals: no mud (guaranteed no matter how much it rains); flushing toilets; sleep in a proper bed; restaurants (proper ones); pubs. The line-up is no Glastonbury but it's none the worse for that. Recommended.

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
Re: Last Gig You Went To
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 12:04:03 AM »
I asked a similar question a year or two ago. The replies are here I just don't know how to search for them. Our dearly beloved and departed Chewie, what he saw live? Good for him, it was a long list and he left this world too soon. He loved his rock and his astronomy, think of him all the time. Look him up here. Sally neither anyone else has taken down down his account, thank god. Click on members, find "c", then Chewie and click on his posts, bless him. Fucking wish he was here now. :(    We all miss him painfully.

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 12:13:23 AM »

The Looe Festival is great by the way. You don't have to live like a warzone refugee It's a festival for people who don't want to submit themselves to the ordeals associated with festivals: no mud (guaranteed no matter how much it rains); flushing toilets; sleep in a proper bed; restaurants (proper ones); pubs. The line-up is no Glastonbury but it's none the worse for that. Recommended.

You have to tell people here where Looe is. The members here who contribute and those past members are from Los Angeles via Sweden, Dubai, any Aussies etc? Looe is in Cornwall, England :)  Also you have to show special consideration for Al as he comes from Norfolk, poor chap, he can't help that and Sally the Mod, well she lives up there too, but still want's to stake a claim in Cornwall, just because she was born there  ::)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:16:59 AM by Q13.1 »

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 07:27:27 AM »
My last gig was The Cure, back in December. They were probably the best I've ever seen them tbh. I was quite surprised at how good they were. I thought they'd be past it now.

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 03:27:51 PM »

I know someone else who goes there and like you they absolutely rave about it. Good of you to give it a shoutout. :)

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 03:43:49 PM »
My last gig was The Cure, back in December. They were probably the best I've ever seen them tbh. I was quite surprised at how good they were. I thought they'd be past it now.

We saw them at Elephant Fayre (port elliott estate St Germans, cornwall) didn't we Barbar? Were you there that year? I think The Fall played there that year too. Absolutely cracking time. I was there with Spade, remember him?

The Cure was 83
The Fall can't seewhen
Souixie 82
Killing Joke 85

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/elephant_fayre_1981-86.html

http://porteliotfestival.com/welcome-to-our-home/the-elephant-fayre/

Chas and Dave were brilliant! And the punk poet bar none.

10 for all four days!!! :)

It was a lovely annual trip ;)  The police got wise and stopped and searched any suspect people/vehicles coming back across the Tamar Bridge. Talk about open borders! Not then. :(  I got thro successfully :D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:55:59 PM by Q13.1 »

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 12:42:16 PM »
We saw them at Elephant Fayre (port elliott estate St Germans, cornwall) didn't we Barbar? Were you there that year? I think The Fall played there that year too. Absolutely cracking time. I was there with Spade, remember him?

The Cure was 83
The Fall can't seewhen
Souixie 82
Killing Joke 85

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/elephant_fayre_1981-86.html

http://porteliotfestival.com/welcome-to-our-home/the-elephant-fayre/

Chas and Dave were brilliant! And the punk poet bar none.

10 for all four days!!! :)

It was a lovely annual trip ;)  The police got wise and stopped and searched any suspect people/vehicles coming back across the Tamar Bridge. Talk about open borders! Not then. :(  I got thro successfully :D

Did loads of Elephants, as it were.

Deffo saw Killing Joke. Didn't see the others. Can't remember why not. I must have been there although I did miss the last one.

Linton Kwesi Johnson & The Dennis Bovell Dub Band were a particular highlight. His baritone patois unaccompanied as the sun set against the Cornish countryside was something I'll never forget.

Although interestingly it appears that LKJ himself has forgotten it. A couple of years ago I went to see An Evening With LKJ at the University. He spoke of his life, black rights. Marxism and read some poetry. During the evening he said that we were the whitest audience he had ever addressed and, not having ventured so far west before, he was surprised at how relatively monocultural we were.

As for The Cure... didn't see them at Elephant but did see them at Glastonbury (not sure when - late 80s?) where they headlined. It was a blazing hot festival (as were all but one of the Elephants I went to): dehydration, sunburn and dust everywhere. In its own way the sun can be every bit as much an ordeal as the rain and mud. Anyway whenthe The Cure came on there was a 10 minute thunderstorm with torrential rain and loads of lightning. Everybody stripped off and danced in delight. And then it was gone as fast as it came. Bloody awesome and definitely The Moment of all the gigs I ever went to.

Still have photos of Elephant somehwhere. I wonder where?

While on Elephant... do you have the programmes still, Q? There was a quote in one of them about why Elephant was named such. I've been trying to track it down for years. It was from an old magazine, Gentleman's Quarterly perhaps, in 1775 (?) and went something like: "and as for what lies beyond Dorchester and Sarum, who knows? It could well be populated by monsters and elephants...". I'd love to get that exact.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 05:51:28 PM by bababarararacucucudadada »

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 03:04:51 PM »
Did loads of Elephants, as it were.

Deffo saw Killing Joke. Didn't see the others. Can't remember why not. I must have been there although I did miss the last one.

Linton Kwesi Johnson & The Dennis Bovell Dub Band were a particular highlight. His baritone patois unaccompanied as the sun set against the Cornish countryside was something I'll never forget.

Although interestingly it appears that LKJ himself has forgotten it. A couple of years ago I went to see An Evening With LKJ at the University. He spoke of his life, black rights. Marxism and read some poetry. During the evening he said that we were the whitest audience he had ever addressed and, not having ventured so far west before, he was surprised at how relatively monocultural we were.

As for The Cure... didn't see them at Elephant but did see them at Glastonbury (not sure when - late 80s?) where they headlined. It was a blazing hot festival (as were all but one of the Elephants I went to): dehydration, sunburn and dust everywhere. In its own way the sun can be every bit as much an ordeal as the rain and mud. Anyway whenthe The Cure came on there was a 10 minute thunderstorm with torrential rain and loads of lightning. Everybody stripped off and danced in delight. And then it was gone as fast as it came. Bloody awesome and definitely The Moment of all the gigs I ever went to.

Still have photos of Elephant somehwhere. I wonder where?

While on Elephant... do you have the programmes still, Q? There was a quote in one of them about why Elephant was named such. I've been trying to track it down for years. It was from an old magazine, Gentleman's Quarterly perhaps, in 1775 (?) and went something like: "and as for what lies beyond Dorchester and Sarum, who knows? It could well be populated by monsters and elephants...". I'd love to get that exact.

A friend of mine was at that Glasto when the Cure played. He said it was one of the best live music moments he'd ever witnessed in part thatnks to that perfectly timed storm.

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 08:54:29 PM »
While on Elephant... do you have the programmes still, Q?

Hi Barbar, must have bought them to know who was playing where and when but sadly if I did I can't remember seeing them or know where they may be tucked away:(

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 12:37:31 PM »
Saw The Orb last night at the Royal Festival Hall.

Brilliant show, just too short. I'm used to all nighters; back in the day..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SH4KGM_B54

V8

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 01:41:52 AM »
Saw The Orb last night at the Royal Festival Hall.

Brilliant show, just too short. I'm used to all nighters; back in the day..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SH4KGM_B54

I've just been watching some of the footage from that, looked like a great night, love The Orb.

V8

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 01:43:17 AM »
A friend of mine was at that Glasto when the Cure played. He said it was one of the best live music moments he'd ever witnessed in part thatnks to that perfectly timed storm.

I was there for that too, on my way to see someone else as I wasn't that into them and bumped into a mate so stayed for the whole set, they were brilliant, converted me there and then.

V8

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 01:45:40 AM »
If we're counting festivals then my last gig was Public Enemy at Common People Festival in Southampton. No Flavor Flav but they were still great. Last "proper" gig though, was Soundgarden at Brixton Academy

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 07:00:55 AM »
I've just been watching some of the footage from that, looked like a great night, love The Orb.

It was excellent. I just wish it could have gone on longer  :)

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 05:49:05 PM »
Little Fluffy Clouds and Black Hole Sun?