Author Topic: iPod 160GB has finally given up  (Read 1205 times)

tequila_nic

Re: iPod 160GB has finally given up
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 02:47:38 PM »
Smartphone? Or do you specifically want seperate devices for listening to music than to make calls, etc?

Always separate devices :) I had considered a 128Gb iPhone and a pair of Audeze Sine with the little DAC built in but on demo it just didn't swing it compared to the AK and the Grado's.  However the Sine are very good with the AK and I'll get these as a pair of closed backed headphones for traveling :)

Nic

V8

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2017, 03:54:48 PM »
Always separate devices :) I had considered a 128Gb iPhone and a pair of Audeze Sine with the little DAC built in but on demo it just didn't swing it compared to the AK and the Grado's.  However the Sine are very good with the AK and I'll get these as a pair of closed backed headphones for traveling :)

Nic

Fair enough, I was the same, preferred everything seperate, but after going through a few different mp3 players, and phones getting better I made the switch a while back.

tequila_nic

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2017, 09:13:12 AM »
:) OK managed to see my AKJR for what I paid for it and I now have the AK100 (got if with a massive discount)

First impressions are it's VERY good and can't wait for the Grado's to be modified to balanced so I can see how this sounds in this configuration.  One thing to note is they go VERY loud completely removing the need for a separate portable amp

I did however get a balanced cable to connect this to the main Stereo and again very impressive better than the Merdiain MS600 (which also uses balanced outputs)

Also tested this as a DAC for the PC with positive results

Finally this has the AK Connect feature that allows me to stream all the music from the NAS to it while connected to the home network.

For the money I must say this is a very good pit of kit.

Nic

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2017, 12:24:18 PM »
Spotify. Subscription costs a tenner a month to go ad free and gives you access to practically anything you want, you can use it on multiple devices, download to listen offline, create and share your own playlists, follow other playlists, etc. New music appears on there pretty quick these days, often on day of release. I've been using it for a few years now and I've only recently failed to find something on there I was looking for (Love Your Money by Daisy Chainsaw). up to now I've found everything I've looked for, as well as been introduced to loads of new stuff I'd never have even looked for in a record shop. Can't recommend it enough

I was going to say that. Spotify is amazing value for the price of 1 CD per month and if portability is the thing then the slight drop in audio quality is irrelevant. I listen to it loads in the car.

On a similar theme when we bought our house a little over 20 years ago it was a very bad time to invest a sizeable chunk of money in a decent hifi but that didn't stop me from bunging about 1K on a top-o'-the range Pioneer stack system back then. All very whizz bang for the time and I never have figured out what half of the functions are for.

Yesterday my boy comes in: "Da-a-a-ad" (a sure start to either a request for something he knows is cheeky or forgiveness for some sin or another) "the stereo has stopped working".

This is a particular bummer because he has his XBox and Smart TV playing through his fuck off expensive AER speakers via it.

So there we are. We have a grand invested in a piece of integrated kit and the central component (the amp) doesn't work.

Moral dilemma time: do I spend 100 (or wotevs) to resurrect it or just accept that it is time to go fully modern, scrap it and flog off the 500 or so LPs I can n longer play?

V8

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2017, 01:52:23 PM »
I was going to say that. Spotify is amazing value for the price of 1 CD per month and if portability is the thing then the slight drop in audio quality is irrelevant. I listen to it loads in the car.

On a similar theme when we bought our house a little over 20 years ago it was a very bad time to invest a sizeable chunk of money in a decent hifi but that didn't stop me from bunging about 1K on a top-o'-the range Pioneer stack system back then. All very whizz bang for the time and I never have figured out what half of the functions are for.

Yesterday my boy comes in: "Da-a-a-ad" (a sure start to either a request for something he knows is cheeky or forgiveness for some sin or another) "the stereo has stopped working".

This is a particular bummer because he has his XBox and Smart TV playing through his fuck off expensive AER speakers via it.

So there we are. We have a grand invested in a piece of integrated kit and the central component (the amp) doesn't work.

Moral dilemma time: do I spend 100 (or wotevs) to resurrect it or just accept that it is time to go fully modern, scrap it and flog off the 500 or so LPs I can n longer play?

I ditched my separates system in my last house move a couple of years ago as I never used it anymore, and just used a Sony surround amp/dvd player with the TV plugged in and the speakers spread round the living room. When I moved, the new living room wasn't right for surround sound due to it's odd shape, so I just got a sound bar and a sub which does me OK. The Sony amp got moved to the bedroom which I use to plug my turntable into. The turntable also acts as a blue tooth in, so for having that plugged into the amp, I can stream anything from my phone, via the turntable. So my recommendation would be to keep your vinyl, just get a separate amp and pick up a turntable.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2017, 04:21:53 PM »
The "we don't use it anymore" is the sticking point here. Neither do we, really.

That's why I'm reluctant to spend anything on it...

I just look at it and think "1000!" and can't chuck it.

I guess it'll just sit there gathering dust as an ironic nod to post-modern sculpture until such times as I have to do something about it.

tequila_nic

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2017, 04:57:26 PM »
The "we don't use it anymore" is the sticking point here. Neither do we, really.

That's why I'm reluctant to spend anything on it...

I just look at it and think "1000!" and can't chuck it.

I guess it'll just sit there gathering dust as an ironic nod to post-modern sculpture until such times as I have to do something about it.

what is 'it'

you may be able to replace the broken part from eBay

Nic

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2017, 05:08:30 PM »
what is 'it'

you may be able to replace the broken part from eBay

Nic

Or just replace the amplifier?

tequila_nic

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2017, 05:12:28 PM »
Or just replace the amplifier?

tend to find with these stacked devices the interconnection isn't great and they tend to use propriety connectors

But yes a replacement may be in order

Nic

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
Barbar could find himself a local repairman who may be able to fix his amp. I had to do that years ago and the guy did a fab job for my amp and for one of first dolby surround sound SVHS players on the market back in early 92.