Author Topic: iPod 160GB has finally given up  (Read 1203 times)

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
Re: iPod 160GB has finally given up
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 04:42:51 PM »
I don't know what the heck you guys are talking about.
I use one of these.

tequila_nic

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 05:52:49 PM »
Is there not a current apple version with over 160Gb and a solid state drive?

Obviously Solid state is the better choice for portable technology, as even with dampers and shock absorption of any sort, a traditional hard drive always runs the risk of scratches or shattering.

Personally I would go for a Sony, but these days I only listen to the radio on the go.

nope the iPod is dead (sadly)

Nic

tequila_nic

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 05:56:59 PM »
oh yes, says I as I'm getting 2 old pc's working at this very minute - no clicks from drives I insertedhard drive iPods ... what drives do they take ... 1.8 inch .... replacable if you have patience https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod+Classic+Hard+Drive+Replacement/564  :ninja:

Yes and I had thought about replacing this (I've already replaced the screen when the first died) and I've tried various fixes to get the headphones working but alas no joy.

and this is my most used but of kit (I've always been a fan of portable and I've had all formats :) even data tape) so replacing seems to be due as they have come along quite a way

Nic

tequila_nic

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 05:58:13 PM »
I don't know what the heck you guys are talking about.
I use one of these.

still have a one in a box somewhere Q and I drag it out once in a while to remind myself (and to paly the collection of old rave music :) which I will copy to computer one day

Nic

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 10:22:59 PM »
still have a one in a box somewhere Q and I drag it out once in a while to remind myself (and to paly the collection of old rave music :) which I will copy to computer one day

Nic

Yeh mine too.Got bags full of........ :hmmm:................cassettes  :nooo:  Full of John Peel and, (ahem) Tommy Vance.  Would be lovely to listen to them again. :)

captainfly

• is fantastic!!!
  • HEY HO, LET'S GO!
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 01:02:34 PM »
Hmmm you must really need a silent environment to appreciate a difference when you are using headphones to appreciate the difference  in quality, anywhere I am using headphones always over the ear big cans no earbuds this seems to be the limiting factor and my hearing is surpisingly good (can't see too good mind 8) ) even uncompressed files and high end headphones can't get rid of external noise.  So I gave up and use higest quality MP3 files on my lg phone and an ok pair of skullcandy over the ear cans so I don't have anything that I'll be too upset with if it breaks.

Honestly I am curious on how you would use a high end portable audio player and why you need to carry 12000 songs roughly a months worth of nonstop listening without repeats?

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 01:14:31 PM »
MP3 good enough as I can compensate for any noise in ma heed! .... my CD rips are to FLAC as well though
Call me selective but I haven't got as many as 5000 different songs on any pc hard drive  :weed:

tequila_nic

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »
MP3 good enough as I can compensate for any noise in ma heed! .... my CD rips are to FLAC as well though
Call me selective but I haven't got as many as 5000 different songs on any pc hard drive  :weed:

have you ever listened to say 24/96 on a average (and here I do mean average not some cheap tat) headphones or speackers?

Nic

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 04:53:54 PM »
have you ever listened to say 24/96 on a average (and here I do mean average not some cheap tat) headphones or speackers?

Nic

Nic you are hitting deaf walls. In my experience people are quite appy to listen to mp3s on thier phones or god knows what.
When they are introduced to quality, it becomes a whole different ballgame, then appreciation of quality becomes paramount.
It is like this nonsense with beat headphones, oh they are wireless. Get real!
Yes audiophiles though can be considered a little obsessive, but if it is your kink and you have the dosh?
Someone who doesn't know about it after listening to anything on anything but humdrum, they never look back.

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 05:04:11 PM »
24bit/96KHz .... wonders what that is .... seems something floated as far back as 1999 .... likely most commonly as wav files?

Have listened to 96kbps wma files on crappy headphones & didn't think quality was awful at the time

I have ripped all my CDs to FLAC & do notice the less lossy quality BUT my old bi-amp sony mhc component system needs some renovation (new speakers) before I could take full advantage of the quality
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:06:35 PM by barky »

V8

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 03:57:31 PM »
anyone offer any alternatives?

Nic

Spotify. Subscription costs a tenner a month to go ad free and gives you access to practically anything you want, you can use it on multiple devices, download to listen offline, create and share your own playlists, follow other playlists, etc. New music appears on there pretty quick these days, often on day of release. I've been using it for a few years now and I've only recently failed to find something on there I was looking for (Love Your Money by Daisy Chainsaw). up to now I've found everything I've looked for, as well as been introduced to loads of new stuff I'd never have even looked for in a record shop. Can't recommend it enough

tequila_nic

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »
Spotify. Subscription costs a tenner a month to go ad free and gives you access to practically anything you want, you can use it on multiple devices, download to listen offline, create and share your own playlists, follow other playlists, etc. New music appears on there pretty quick these days, often on day of release. I've been using it for a few years now and I've only recently failed to find something on there I was looking for (Love Your Money by Daisy Chainsaw). up to now I've found everything I've looked for, as well as been introduced to loads of new stuff I'd never have even looked for in a record shop. Can't recommend it enough

still need a portable device though (and for audio only)

this is the issue the ipod is dying headphones are only mono and the hard drive is failing

Nic

tequila_nic

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 10:45:54 PM »
Ok I've decided

I've gone for the AK Jr (it'll store about 1200 tracks) and a new pair of Grado Sr325e's

but I'll add a pair of Audeze closed back for traveling

Nic

V8

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 11:42:35 AM »
still need a portable device though (and for audio only)

Smartphone? Or do you specifically want seperate devices for listening to music than to make calls, etc?

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »
Ok I've decided

I've gone for the AK Jr (it'll store about 1200 tracks) and a new pair of Grado Sr325e's

but I'll add a pair of Audeze closed back for traveling

Nic

Glad to see you have got yourself sorted Nic :)