Author Topic: Coding  (Read 603 times)

bababarararacucucudadada

Re: Coding
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 09:31:45 PM »
Thanks Plan for the Python Book link. Took a look for the first time today :( Sorry.
Is something I am going to have to seriously study,
so many thank you's.

Q.

I'm wondering how you got on...

FWIW I would recommend Basic but that's only because I bottled out many years ago and c and Python, of which I know nought, weren't around.

It really does depend on what you want to do though because the languages are all tailored towards a particular functionality whether that be commercial, scientific or wotevs.

I managed to qualify in the end but that was through luck and cheating; I must be just about the worst programmer who ever got a qualification in it.

What I found hardest was a mixture of two things: Syntax and being able to dumb down enough to be as stupid as a computer is. The bloody things do exactly what you tell them to rather than what you want them to do and one tiny error can have massive consequences.

I'd recommend that you start trying to train yourself to use flow charts.  Before you sit down to computerise anything be as certain as you are able to be that the logic of what you are attempting is rock solid.

The last programme I wrote was to solve quadratic equations on a programmable calculator using a version of Basic that was very alien to me (where did line numbers go, eh?). I was insanely pleased with myself that I was able to do it.

I think I'd be better suited to it now than I was then. More open to accepting the challenge and far more mentally attuned to the process.

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
Re: Coding
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 03:19:35 PM »
I'm wondering how you got on...

i gave up on the idea as first of all id have to teach myself to be leftie.