Author Topic: Coding  (Read 825 times)

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
Coding
« on: November 27, 2016, 01:59:08 AM »
If I were to teach myself how to code what language should I learn, C++ ?
Thanks.

captainfly

• is fantastic!!!
  • HEY HO, LET'S GO!
Re: Coding
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 12:07:50 PM »
That is probably a good starting point, as would learning binary. 

To be honest a lot of hobby programming/coding uses libraries so learning how to use libraries of existing code is probably more relevant than actually being a good encoder.

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 05:07:34 PM »
Thanks Captain, I'll look into it.

Je

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 11:08:30 PM »
Depends where you want to go with it.

If you just want to get going with programming - I started writing macros in Microsoft Word. Its easy to learn and you can type one or a few lines and run it and its doing something useful for you. If you use word processing/databases/spreasheets a lot that would be a good place to begin. Basic, which is what you write those macros in, is a beginners language which is widely used elsewhere as well.

But if you've got some other goal you learn what's appropriate to where you're going.

One problem with starting with a major language is you nearly always begin with something to do a "hello world" messsage - which is easy... but it can be a long daunting road before you get to doing anything of practical use. And you might give up before you get there.

So something that produces useable results straight away is my suggestion. It could be javascript if you're more into creating web pages. Or even something like Autoit to automate tasks on your computer.

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:21:06 PM by Je »

captainfly

• is fantastic!!!
  • HEY HO, LET'S GO!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 08:54:51 AM »
Youtube is good placecto look for tutorials and Alison online has some alright free beginners courses.

plandalet

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 09:07:26 AM »
If I were to teach myself how to code what language should I learn, C++ ?
Thanks.

I'd recommend python as a first language. After that it all depends on what you want to do.

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 01:25:39 PM »
I'd recommend python as a first language. After that it all depends on what you want to do.

Why would you recommend python as a first language?

I would recommend JAVA. Or SQL.

plandalet

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 01:35:23 PM »
Why would you recommend python as a first language?

I would recommend JAVA. Or SQL.

SQL is not a programming language and JAVA is needlessly complicated for a first programming language. MIT use python in their introduction to programming class and yes you can do anything you can do in JAVA,  C++, etc. using python.

Automate the boring stuff with python if you want some practical examples of what you can do with python.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 03:56:33 PM by plandalet »

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 05:46:10 PM »
Thanks chaps. I really appreciate what you have said here, it is a great help, you have given  me plenty to consider.
Thanks again. Q.

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 01:29:41 PM »
SQL is not a programming language and JAVA is needlessly complicated for a first programming language. MIT use python in their introduction to programming class and yes you can do anything you can do in JAVA,  C++, etc. using python.

Automate the boring stuff with python if you want some practical examples of what you can do with python.

SQL is a database language true.

But it is relatively simple and shows people how coding works with the commands and flow.

Which is why I would recommend it as a starting point.

Java is not that complex! But I do prefer C# to be honest.

Je

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 09:15:09 PM »
But it is relatively simple and shows people how coding works with the commands and flow.

BAT files are a pretty instant way of getting that. Somewhat limited, but you can start doing something useful after just reading a page like this.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/write-simple-batch-bat-file/

plandalet

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 08:20:19 AM »
BAT files are a pretty instant way of getting that. Somewhat limited, but you can start doing something useful after just reading a page like this.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/write-simple-batch-bat-file/

BAT files are horrible. No faster way to turn someone off programming than to introduce them to that abortion. Hell it's worse than BASIC and that's saying something.

Je

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 01:29:43 PM »
BAT files are horrible. No faster way to turn someone off programming than to introduce them to that abortion. Hell it's worse than BASIC and that's saying something.

BASIC in its visual incarnation, especially VB6 is brill. Rapid Application Development... easy to do things and you can do almost everything with it. Was the most popular programming language in the world.

BAT files can be horrible. With no ide and typing everything out... but you can do things straight away with them... and learn simple instructions. You can't go very far with them.  I'm throwing it in as another suggestion in response to the SQL one. Not my first.

The worst route is starting with a language which is hard to learn... x years at uni... before you can do anything useful and at the end of it... its snail pace stuff.

Languages don't matter so much as what you want to do... a bubble sort is a bubble sort whatever its written in. And you don't want to write it - you find someone else who's written a bubble sort already. Something easy to learn, and is the quickest route to whatever you want to do...

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:31:39 PM by Je »

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 08:28:54 PM »
Thanks Plan for the Python Book link. Took a look for the first time today :( Sorry.
Is something I am going to have to seriously study,
so many thank you's.

Q.

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 10:17:18 AM »
SQL is a database language true.

Which is why I would recommend it as a starting point.

Java is not that complex! But I do prefer C# to be honest.

SQL is proving very useful in my job currently, although I'm still on a learning curve with it, but in principle it is fairly easy to get a basic grasp. We have some very talented coders in our IT dept, but they are all chemists and biologists by profession who just ended up working as developers or data scientists.