Author Topic: The Grand Tour  (Read 267 times)

oake

• 6f616b65
The Grand Tour
« on: November 18, 2016, 09:45:43 PM »
Having just watched the first of the new Clarkson/Hammond/May series, I wondered what the rest of you thought of it.

I thought there were a few mildly amusing moments, but it seemed to contain rather less variety than the old Top Gear in its 70 or so minutes. Three hybrid supercars occupied most of the programme, and there was no equivalent of "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" or "The News", no pianos were dropped on any cars, no caravans were destroyed, and no mad solutions were put forward to address problems that may or may not exist.

There's a Stig replacement of sorts (a grumpy NASCAR driver they call The American), but I'm not sure that's a particularly well-developed idea.

I'm sure many people will enjoy the show, but I can't help feeling that, for what it all reportedly cost, it's a bit of a disappointment.

Then again, I'm probably too old and jaundiced to appreciate it. ;)

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
Re: The Grand Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 09:54:30 PM »
BBC owns top gear format so they can't copy it, glad I'll never see Clarkson/Hammond/May again

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 10:54:40 PM »
BBC owns top gear format so they can't copy it, glad I'll never see Clarkson/Hammond/May again

I know they can't copy the format, but that's not the point. They've produced a show that looks as much like Top Gear as they could legally get away with, yet they haven't been able to think up alternative scenarios to rival much of what they previously had.

Hence I'm saying that, despite the huge budget, the new show fails in a number of areas to rival the old Top Gear. Whether you rated Top Gear or not (and I'm fairly neutral), I'm saying this new show has, so far, fallen short.

And I was asking if others felt the same way.

Sorry if I failed to make my point clear the first time.

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 01:34:28 PM »