Author Topic: Windows 10 Anniversary Update  (Read 698 times)

oake

• 6f616b65
Windows 10 Anniversary Update
« on: September 23, 2016, 08:42:11 PM »
There's an automatic update for Windows 10 that's being referred to as their Anniversary Update.

It just downloads as normal, gives no indication that it's a major change, and off it goes.

If you've tailored your Start Menu to suit your own preferences, be prepared to have to do it all again, and discover that there's no way of getting it back to the way you liked it.

And it told me that Spybot Search and Destroy would no longer work under this version, so it's uninstalled it and switched on Windows Defender instead. Problem I have with that is - I never had Spybot Search & Destroy installed in the first place, so I'm still trying to figure out what software it's automatically uninstalled and replaced with Windows Defender.

Also, I really don't want a list of my "most used" programs cluttering up my start menu; I already have those programs set up in the taskbar, so it's just unnecessary duplication. (You can remove them from the list, one at a time, but it insists on having a list of six, so it just moves something even less relevant in there to fill it up.)

I also don't want a list of "recently added" programs taking pride of place at the top of my start menu, especially when I don't even recognise them, and have no memory of ever installing them. WTF is "Connect", or "Feedback Hub", or "AiO Printer Remote"? Because those, according to Windows 10, are my "recently added" programs! (Subsequent investigation shows that these unwanted programs were automatically installed without so much as a "by your leave" as part of the Anniversary Update - thanks again Microsoft!)

Oh, and there's a new version of Flash Player that you need if you want it to work with the Anniversary Update. If you run Windows Update manually, it's there, together with further updates to the OS on which it is apparently dependent, so one assumes that these would have eventually joined the list of updates scheduled to arrive automatically at some future time.

I do so love having my PC micromanaged by Microsoft. ::)

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 09:14:51 PM »
settings > personalisation > start & you can turn off the recently added thing

Gradually shifting to Linux Mint here, too much crap running within windows
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:43:20 PM by barky »

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 10:07:13 PM »
settings > personalisation > start & you can turn off the recently added thing

Cheers barky - I should have spotted that myself. Maybe I'm just feeling too irritable to think straight!

Gradually shifting to Linux Mint here, too much crap running within windows

Unfortunately, I have to keep at least one machine running 10 - too many customers to support!
And I now have a barrage of phone calls to look forward to over the weekend. :(

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 10:21:16 PM »
a work laptop just did the 1607 update - windows update pushing the anniversary update now - 40% downloaded to installed from 930 till 1500 & I just know I'm going to get a numpty asking 'why did this bit change' - I'm only one that has a clue .. lol

Je

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 05:21:34 AM »
Having avoided updating to keep clear of the Windows 10 update mess.... I foolishly tried downloading windows movie maker on my Windows 8 machine as I wanted a video editor... and it downloaded a couple of GB of Window's updates without asking... took hours installing them and ate up my dongle sim bandwidth so I had to buy another one. And I didn't even get movie maker at the end of it all!

That plus Windows 8 being a pile of **** salvaged only by installing Classic Start Menu... means me and Microsoft are also heading towards parting company in favour of Linux. Or Android in future maybe... having stuck with Microsoft since year dot. So long as it runs OpenOffice and gets on the internet I now no longer care...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 05:26:03 AM by Je »

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 10:50:47 PM »
I thought I'd got off lightly today - only one call, and that was to complain that her icon names in File Explorer were all now left-justified, and the line breaks were consequently all over the place.

Couldn't be too tricky to find a solution, could it?

At least, that's what I thought.

But I'm now reduced to reporting the issue back to Microsoft, because I'm buggered if I can find a way round it, short of telling her to stop using icon view!

Any ideas? Anyone?

Je

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 11:22:41 PM »
I thought I'd got off lightly today - only one call, and that was to complain that her icon names in File Explorer were all now left-justified, and the line breaks were consequently all over the place.

Couldn't be too tricky to find a solution, could it?

At least, that's what I thought.

But I'm now reduced to reporting the issue back to Microsoft, because I'm buggered if I can find a way round it, short of telling her to stop using icon view!

Any ideas? Anyone?

Thread here? Try a couple of restarts, remove WinRar if installed etc

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-10-file-explorer-has-reversed/d267f024-6576-47f3-a691-6c1c3ece7cde?page=1&auth=1

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 11:43:13 PM by Je »

oake

• 6f616b65

Je

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 11:45:41 PM »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 11:47:18 PM by Je »

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 11:50:56 PM »
If no solution there are always alternative file explorers.

https://www.techjunkie.com/alternative-file-explorer-windows-10/

I know, but I'm reluctant to recommend them to the people I support, because they're a bit set in their ways! Win 10 was a major upheaval for most of them. :)

Microsoft are at least beginning to respond:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/anyone-else-seeing-text-justification-issues-in/ab720c58-f8f6-43d9-b5fa-09eb4c8fe657?auth=1

Je

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 11:58:12 PM »

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 12:04:06 AM »

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 01:49:06 PM »
Thanks, but that's a completely different issue.

This is the issue I'm trying to address:

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/58454-windows-10-au-1607-th2-icon-text-left-justified.html
hadn't even noticed that, now I look it's like that here ... doesn't bother me

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 10:39:12 PM »
I have a tale of woe, woe and more woe the details of which I can no longer remember but it goes something like this...

"Get a free upgrade to W10" they said and said and said until eventually I got fed up with ignoring it (or did I get irredeemably fed up with W8? I forget now).

A very long update followed. And all was good. I was rid of W8! Rejoice!

Then along came the 1607 Millenium update...

"Your machine may turn itself on a and off" etc. I left it to it over-night. Next morning it was unfinished. Went to work. Came back. Still unfinished. Left it over-night. Still unfinished.

"Bloody thing has hung" thought I. Contacted by IT expert mate: "sounds like the bloody thing has hung" says he. "Nothing you can do but turn it off and see what happens."

Turned it off. Installation failed. Restore. Took ages. Got there in the end.

Incessant prompts now for updates to be loaded. Tried again. System crashed. Restore useless. After lots of probing around in areas I didn't really understand got it recovered.

All was not well though. Problems with Graphics Card. All OK but slowish and jerky with the W10 inbuilt card but the one for AMD on my lappy gone. Reinstalled it. System crashed. Irrecoverably by me this time. Off to my IT mate...

He couldn't get it back either. Had to basically reinstall W8 and I am working again now.

I think the root of the problem was that my lappy is under-powered: I have shit loads of RAM but the chip is too slow to run W10 (1607).

So that's where I am now. Back on W8. I still hate it. Every now and then my Graphics Card crashes and restores itself but it is more less functioning.

1607 has been the worst thing I have ever encountered in computing.

tequila_nic

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 09:43:39 AM »
a work laptop just did the 1607 update - windows update pushing the anniversary update now - 40% downloaded to installed from 930 till 1500 & I just know I'm going to get a numpty asking 'why did this bit change' - I'm only one that has a clue .. lol

Jesus your letting this out on machines already!

Brave of you :)

Nic