Author Topic: EU referendum  (Read 17650 times)

Charles Martel

EU referendum
« on: May 23, 2016, 12:05:34 PM »
Amongst people I know who've expressed an opinion I'd say 90% will vote to leave yet the polls claim a huge lead for the remain campaign.
The scare stories have been ramped up to 11 by an increasingly desperate sounding 'stay' cabal of vested interests in the status quo.
With only a month to go is it really too close to call or in the bag for remain as the polls suggest?

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
Re: EU referendum
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 12:10:33 PM »
Amongst people I know who've expressed an opinion I'd say 90% will vote to leave yet the polls claim a huge lead for the remain campaign.
The scare stories have been ramped up to 11 by an increasingly desperate sounding 'stay' cabal of vested interests in the status quo.
With only a month to go is it really too close to call or in the bag for remain as the polls suggest?

Yeah, people YOU know.

You sound like thick people in small towns I have lived in saying that they think a reality show vote will go one way, as everyone in their small town will vote their way.

Legitmate economic experts and commenters saying what they think, are "Scare Stories"?

Vote how you want, you reactionary old relic of a bygone era.

tequila_nic

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:26:30 PM »
Leave

The stay campaign isn't convincing me with their doom and gloom (may, potentially, could, might) and I see Europe currently failing it so better get out now rather than later.

Nic

Je

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 12:29:09 PM »
Amongst people I know who've expressed an opinion

It could well be that those who want to stay don't want to express an opinion contrary to yours. Some of those saying leave may just be lying to avoid talking about it...

tequila_nic

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 12:32:17 PM »
Have to agree with Charles almost all the people I talk to want out even within the company I work for (German owned but offices around the world) most people still want out or can't understand why we would want to stay in.

Nic

Je

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 12:35:36 PM »
almost all the people I talk to

This is why they have professional polling organisations... to be a tad more scientific than someone's "almost all the people I talk to"...

Charles Martel

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 12:35:56 PM »
It could well be that those who want to stay don't want to express an opinion contrary to yours.
Why? What do they think I'm going to do? Kill them?...

Je

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 12:38:40 PM »
Why? What do they think I'm going to do? Kill them?...

The lie is a standard British way of getting out of things... don't want someone going on and on about the referendum... tell them what they want to hear... solved innit...

tequila_nic

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 12:39:59 PM »
This is why they have professional polling organisations... to be a tad more scientific than someone's "almost all the people I talk to"...

I do agree but as I say I don't see the polls being comparable to my experience or that of the people I talk to about this (which is not usually the case as opinion is usually reflected with the polls)

Nic

Titus

• Champion of the Sun, a master of karate
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 12:42:20 PM »
I will vote to remain, but I only know 2 or 3 others who are. Most of the people I know are either voting to leave, or undecided, but still leaning towards leaving.  We had a company townhall meeting the other month, and the CEO made it fairly clear that whilst it was our personal decision to make, it was the company's preference to remain as in as it's in the long term interest of the company. Still, most people here who have decided, will vote to leave.

Very few people I know are well informed on the matter - especially Brexiters I have to say! I think both sides know that, and are therefore going for headlines rather than informed debate.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:44:32 PM by Titus »

Je

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 01:10:51 PM »
I do agree but as I say I don't see the polls being comparable to my experience or that of the people I talk to about this (which is not usually the case as opinion is usually reflected with the polls)

Nic

If you're convinced "almost all the people I talk to" is a more accurate poll than the professionals then there is a money making opportunity  - 7/2 for UK to leave. That's a 350% return. I think those gamblers will make minus 100%.

I placed my bet at 2/5 on remain... that's a 40% return. Its now 1/6.

Last time I read up on it most of the bets placed had been for leave. But most of the money for remain. The leave betters were placing smaller bets attracted by the lure of a 350% return.

If  "almost all the people I talk to" think that  "almost all the people I talk to" want to leave - then there's a big incentive to keep quiet or say "undecided" and not argue with the prevalent view around them.

I only bet what I could afford to lose of course. It could be me that's the fool - but we'll see.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:17:34 PM by Je »

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 01:20:50 PM »

My god charles. You relate a personal experience and you and your circle of acquaintances get lambasted for it as some sniggering right wing racist neo fascists.
The irony is those who decry you for saying leave, want to vote remain and be part of a corrupt, undemocratic, racist, right wing,  fascist EU.

Funny that, innit?

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 01:42:42 PM »
I don't know anyone who's going to vote leave. Most people I know would characterise themselves as liberal, but none think the EU as an institution is not without significant faults, many of which may not be 'reformable'

I'm on the fence, leaning ever more to the remain side of that fence.

I've no love for the EU whatsoever, but in the absence of any coherant, unbiased information from either side I think it's safer to go with the devil I know.

I suspect only a handful of civil servants and anonymous economists know what is actaually best for our country as a whole. They don't have much of a voice in the debate, so our opinions are in line more with our own respective political compasses and prejudices rather than an informed position. IMO.

V8

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 01:49:24 PM »
I'm voting leave, but amongst friends and family there's about a 50/50 split. Surprisingly, there seems to be a bit of a gender split on this too, with female relatives voting to stay and the men voting leave.

I saw a news article on BBC this morning saying that a lot of women are still undecided because they feel they don't have all the facts necessary to make a decision, which is true for all of us, but I wonder if it's that women are generally more risk averse than men so haven't made a decision yet.

My stance is that we will never have all the information to make an informed decision, so all we can do is vote on what we feel is best for us and ours, instinctually almost.

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 01:56:03 PM »
I saw a news article on BBC this morning saying that a lot of women are still undecided because they feel they don't have all the facts necessary to make a decision, which is true for all of us, but I wonder if it's that women are generally more risk averse than men so haven't made a decision yet.

Very good point V8.
Whoever gave them the vote? :D