Author Topic: Iraq War Inquiry  (Read 27701 times)

TheSingularity

• A Misanthropical Breed
Re: Iraq War Inquiry
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 12:32:16 PM »
In this posters opinion, THE very worst thing he could have said/done in comparision to his current 'justification' is for the removal of Saddam.

This is his key crux, the one thing that does and I will agree, should help him sleep at night.

Sadly, his (paraphrase) "Saddam can stay in power if he just gives up his WMD's" renders it mute, regards or not of whether the 'Shock and Awe' US attack caught him by surprise.

Voodu

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 11:18:13 PM »

Voodu

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 07:22:50 PM »
http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2010/09/14/just-how-independent-is-the-iraq-inquiry/

As Lamb points out, the review letter does not directly state that the Cabinet Office has no recorded information within the scope of Lamb?s request but instead offers a narrative account of what happened and states that this is ?the extent of information which the Cabinet Office holds?. This substitution of narrative for real information ? and the fact that the review took a year ? displays a complete disregard for the principles of the FOI Act from the heart of government. What emerges from all this is a picture of a Cabinet Office and a Cabinet Secretary making it up as they go along while keeping a tight grip on a supposedly ?independent? inquiry.

More here:

http://www.iraqinquirydigest.org/?p=9459

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 09:56:11 AM »
David Miliband gave MI6  the green light to proceed with intelligence-gathering operations in countries where there was a possible risk of terrorism suspects being tortured, the Guardian has learned.

Guardian Article

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 04:00:01 PM »
Torture warnings pushed aside for Britain to join US in 'war on terror'

The "war on terror" had barely begun when senior ministers in the Labour government became aware that it was to be a harsh and brutal affair, involving fundamental breaches of international human rights law, it was revealed today.

Previously classified documents, disclosed in the high court, show that the government was warned repeatedly in January 2002 that British citizens were possibly being tortured after capture by US forces in Afghanistan, that the US was planning to hold some indefinitely without trial, and that British military lawyers were complaining about breaches of the Geneva conventions.

While the heavily redacted documents ? released in civil proceedings brought by six former Guant?namo inmates ? betray British concern about American conduct, they also appear to show that diplomats, civil servants and government lawyers were anxious to find ways to remain, in the words of Tony Blair, "standing shoulder to shoulder" with the US.

Guardian article

And another

Voodu

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 04:49:27 PM »
Cheers for the links Oake. It is my understanding that if I were party to foreknowledge regarding the potential kidnapping, forced drugging, beating, slashing, raping, torturing and indeed killing of Blair, Straw, Miliband, Hoon, Manning, Dearlove, Powell, Morgan or Goldsmith (for example) I could well be guilty of statutory offences under British law and international law such as the Geneva conventions (of which the UK is a signatory).

What the former terrorist leader, and traitor, of the USS British Isles *thinks* about that isn't worth fuck all in a court of law - which is precisely where he belongs prior to his muchly deserved concurrent life sentences alongside his conspirators. It certainly was most amusing to see members of said terrorist leadership refusing to clap yesterday when their crimes were quickly glossed over ;) 

TheSingularity

• A Misanthropical Breed
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 03:10:22 PM »

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 01:42:23 PM »

PFF

• What do you reckon?
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 05:39:27 PM »
Hi Voodu

Nothing to say on the recently released files into the death of Dr David Kelly? You know, the ones you were oh-so-sure were hiding something?

What about the rest of you 'conspiracy theorists'? Still think there's been a cover-up?

TheSingularity

• A Misanthropical Breed
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 11:06:15 AM »
Hi PFF,

David Kelly Thread

Thread about Hoon related to Kelly's death/documentary

Kelly has not been mentioned in this thread, so take your smarm to any of the above will you, please deary.

Mods,

If you would kindly do this and remove this post as well so this thread is soley about the Iraq Invasion.

PFF

• What do you reckon?
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 02:19:53 PM »
Hi PFF,

David Kelly Thread

Thread about Hoon related to Kelly's death/documentary

Kelly has not been mentioned in this thread, so take your smarm to any of the above will you, please deary.

Mods,

If you would kindly do this and remove this post as well so this thread is soley about the Iraq Invasion.

Kelly has been mentioned in the previous thread, so yes, it's relevant.

Voodu doesn't seem to come into many other threads.

We don't need to clutter up the board with threads re: Iraq.

What's wrong? Not prepared to admit that the conspiracy theories are now dead in the water, officially, as opposed to just among people with common sense?

TheSingularity

• A Misanthropical Breed
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 03:22:01 PM »
Kelly has been mentioned in the previous thread, so yes, it's relevant.

Voodu doesn't seem to come into many other threads.

We don't need to clutter up the board with threads re: Iraq.

No, just global warming threads...

What's wrong? Not prepared to admit that the conspiracy theories are now dead in the water, officially, as opposed to just among people with common sense?

Well first off you'd have to assume I was in the 'Kelly was bumped off' camp, which I haven't been, but to be fair to you I will entertain all theories, conspiracy or otherwise.

What I will say on the matter of at least the inquiry, was to me it was less about the death of Kelly and more the public flogging of the BBC (and thereby all Iraq war opponents).

Of course its all intertwined with Iraq, but the crux of my initial reaction (other than being narked by people not bothering to us the forum search function) is that if this is one conspiracy 'put to bed' that is related to Iraq then that somehow justifies the clusterfuck it all was and somehow the WMD arguement as a pre-text to the war is now nicely swept under the carpet along with Dr Kelly's body.

There, I've now actually indulged in a response that I didn't wish to do in this specific thread, anyway if we are taking a coroner's report at face value then I can tell you precisely how people still supporting Kelly's murder will play it in just two words...

Ian Tomlinson.

PFF

• What do you reckon?
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 03:49:09 PM »
No, just global warming threads...

LOL well I've not said I agree there's not enough of those :)

Well first off you'd have to assume I was in the 'Kelly was bumped off' camp, which I haven't been, but to be fair to you I will entertain all theories, conspiracy or otherwise.
Well initially I wasn't addressing you, but to be honest I address all theories, conspiracy or otherwise. When the conspiracy theory falls apart though, I tend to place more faith in the official line.
What I will say on the matter of at least the inquiry, was to me it was less about the death of Kelly and more the public flogging of the BBC (and thereby all Iraq war opponents).

Not a bad point. However, how many times does a conspiracy need to be disproven before the official line is even heard?
Of course its all intertwined with Iraq, but the crux of my initial reaction (other than being narked by people not bothering to us the forum search function) is that if this is one conspiracy 'put to bed' that is related to Iraq then that somehow justifies the clusterfuck it all was and somehow the WMD arguement as a pre-text to the war is now nicely swept under the carpet along with Dr Kelly's body.

No-one's saying that at all. However, some people where more than happy to use their made-up conspiracy theories to discredit the entire war. What is so wrong in expecting them to now admit they were wrong?
There, I've now actually indulged in a response that I didn't wish to do in this specific thread, anyway if we are taking a coroner's report at face value then I can tell you precisely how people still supporting Kelly's murder will play it in just two words...

Ian Tomlinson.

There are those who, had they accepted what they'd been told about Dr Kelly's death as the truth (which we now know it was) would not have been present at Ian Tomlinson's death.

Am I wrong?

TheSingularity

• A Misanthropical Breed
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 10:35:51 AM »

No-one's saying that at all. However, some people where more than happy to use their made-up conspiracy theories to discredit the entire war. What is so wrong in expecting them to now admit they were wrong?

Yes, it works both ways, but likewise no one will admit to what is 'right' or 'wrong' about anything, because legitimate or not (and its dangerous ground to think every coroner's verdict is suspect) it still is only one (expert) person's opinion.

There are those who, had they accepted what they'd been told about Dr Kelly's death as the truth (which we now know it was) would not have been present at Ian Tomlinson's death.

Am I wrong?

I don't know, I don't understand the statement.
[/quote]

PFF

• What do you reckon?
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 01:29:15 PM »
Yes, it works both ways, but likewise no one will admit to what is 'right' or 'wrong' about anything, because legitimate or not (and its dangerous ground to think every coroner's verdict is suspect) it still is only one (expert) person's opinion.

I don't know, I don't understand the statement.

Did Dr Kelly's suicide (and the suspicion of murder) contribute to anti-war feeling?