Author Topic: My ride  (Read 2162 times)

Q13

My ride
« on: September 25, 2015, 01:39:17 PM »
This one's for Al:
What do reckon to my ride?

Apparently it comes with a wi-fi, but I have never found it when I have needed to go.

A long long time ago I had one of these:
As a passenger once said to me, "she can lift her skirt!"*

As you can see from my history I have impeccable tastes when it comes to four wheeled transport. :D

*Just checked with google a 141 mile journey I did, google says it would take me 2hrs and 39mins.
I did it just inside of 1hr and 40mins. Oh those were the days.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:45:47 PM by Q13 »

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
Re: My ride
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 02:36:42 PM »
how big is engine in that Alexander bodied Scania?
(Stagecoach 15739 or similar)

Q13

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 03:09:32 PM »
how big is engine in that Alexander bodied Scania?
(Stagecoach 15739 or similar)

Not very big as it hasn't got a bonnet ;)
I've no idea, I'll ask the driver next time I get on it. He or she may be able to quote me a fare but engine stats?
I'll find out for you.

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 08:15:48 PM »
only ripping pish ol' fella .... if same as now it's a 9 litre straight 6

captainfly

• is fantastic!!!
  • HEY HO, LET'S GO!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 04:45:57 PM »
Was your Montego a turbo?

Q13

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
only ripping pish ol' fella .... if same as now it's a 9 litre straight 6

Barky, you almost left yourself open to naiively being asked if you were an ombnibus spotter and collector of models ;)

I did check for you and found this video of an engine from the same sort of bus in the workshop
! No longer available

:)

Q13

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 02:32:58 PM »
Was your Montego a turbo?

Yes they made two versions, the earlier vesion the spedometer went to 130 mine though was the later one and went to 150mph !
I changed the wheels and tyres though. It originally ran on unique to the model michelins, 186 a piece back in 1993 ouch!
The MG Maestro turbo was quicker as it had the same engine but the car was smaller and lighter. 20 to 25 to the gallon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzBmCrLa5Xc
THe brakes could have been better!

Once I overtook an articulated truck on a nice straight two lane road in Cornwall. There was an oncoming car way off in the distance.
No problem you may have thought, well there was a complication I had not foreseen and given that the truck driver didn't see me coming compounded matters,
somewhat. Luckily I didn't have  a passenger, who would have been screaming at my side. I had committed to overtaking the truck and was alongside the rear of the trailer and accelerating when he decided to pull out on me to overtake a large  tractor pulling a trailer: Oh f**k!!!

I should add, I completed the overtake, luckily there was a bit of tarmac beyond the white line on the oncoming right hand side of the road and the oncoming vehicle seeing a white mg turbo at fll chat off-centre to the left of him, an articulated truck and a tractor all coming at him, he probably slammed his anchors on. Very very stupid of me.  :-[

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 05:27:17 PM by Q13 »

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 03:13:03 PM »
Barky, you almost left yourself open to naiively being asked if you were an ombnibus spotter and collector of models ;)

I did check for you and found this video of an engine from the same sort of bus in the workshop

:)
being a VW group diesel in the bus I wonder what it NOx level is

Q13

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 03:16:13 PM »
being a VW group diesel in the bus I wonder what it NOx level is

Has anyone apart from yorself barky thought of asking about their commrcial diesels? I bet not.
Same story I bet. On the front page of the FT on saturday I glanced that questions were asked and put forward to
EU authorities two years before the amercians broke their findings!

Q13

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 05:27:11 PM »
Ownership back then of such a car, a desirable white MG Montego Turbo, here, was not all fun and games. Stolen and recovered once, otherwise broken into too many times. Nowadays if you have a nice car I understand the potential thief breaks into the house and get's the keys, its far easier, given todays security of cars, so a lesson, don't chuck those keys of your nice motor on the side when you get home, put them somewhere safe. YOu wouldn't stack a bunch of notes on the side would you where you put your car keys, same thing the car's value is there just sat (easy cash) with a keyfob attached.

captainfly

• is fantastic!!!
  • HEY HO, LET'S GO!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 01:16:02 PM »
You have ro love the engineering on a carburettor equipped turbo engine, thete is something cool about the mechanical nature of them, iirc the induction noise was pretty crazy from the big SU :D

Q13

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 06:18:07 AM »
You have ro love the engineering on a carburettor equipped turbo engine, thete is something cool about the mechanical nature of them, iirc the induction noise was pretty crazy from the big SU :D

It was a nice car :) Crude but nice, any quicker would have been greedy. To be honest Captain I can't remember the sounds, I know though it didn't have that lovely dumping sound that some turbo's have, rally cars. I guess that s for cars with big turbos. All cars are now again goig turbocharged with smaller capacity engines, wont be long before we see two turbo's on mainstream roadcars to prevent the turbo lag, seen in high end early imprezza's. Met a guy he took one of those to 145 across Dartmoor.

Coudn't drive the roads down here like i used to anymore, probably, too many speed cameras, white chevrons and motorists equipped with video camera's on their phones. They'd get my plates and the infringements I committed. The days of overtaking five or six cars at a time on a nice A road I fear are long gone. Decades have passed and never since i have been driven about have I ever seen anyone do similar.

Took a Renault 21 turbo for a test drive that was quick, but the driving position was awful offset pedals to the left.
Also a Diahtsu Mira turbo. That was insane a pocket rocket 667cc or thereabouts and turbo'd.
These days a Fiesta ST would give me a permanent smile I reckon. I'm a lazy driver I change up so early so I should probably go for, if I could a torquey diesel, put I got used to petrol turbos. I'd be scared these days to get behind the wheel of anthing less to be honest with you. The confidence that just beng able to put your foot down and get away from hassle and trouble given by other road users and just find yourself with a quiet piece of road to yourself, priceless. :)

Cornwall is now full of such lovely fast roads, dual carriages and A roads, millions of EU misspent money was invested, gulfies with their exotica would desert london for such roads in England. Know any? Together we'll sell them a motoring package holiday ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 06:35:46 AM by Q13 »

captainfly

• is fantastic!!!
  • HEY HO, LET'S GO!
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 12:17:07 PM »
The turbochatter is the wastegates and rhe fartung is a dump valve which releases pressure rather than recirculating it.  the Monty had a Garrett T3 which was almost the same unit as some soerra cosworths iirc.  The very latest small turbo petrol ford ecoboost, vag tsi and renault tce all of which i have experiened within the last month are alot like turbo diesel but wit a higher powerband as the max torque comes in at about 3000rpm which makes them feel rather gutsy.

Q13

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 04:51:24 PM »
The turbochatter is the wastegates and rhe fartung is a dump valve which releases pressure rather than recirculating it.  the Monty had a Garrett T3 which was almost the same unit as some soerra cosworths iirc.  The very latest small turbo petrol ford ecoboost, vag tsi and renault tce all of which i have experiened within the last month are alot like turbo diesel but wit a higher powerband as the max torque comes in at about 3000rpm which makes them feel rather gutsy.

Sorry for the slow reply Captain. Thank you, you know what I am talking about ;)
As a petrified passenger in any car, a fiesta with the ecoboost engine, christ it raised my pulse!
So bloody quick. Maybe it was my payback time for when the woman driving me in the fiesta, years before, when I was driving the Monty,
she went to flick her cigarette ash out of the window, at 110 mph, as I courted her.

Alizarin

• Building a country that works or everyon
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 11:42:56 PM »
When I but a young boy, exploited via the evil bitch's YTS scheme and (sort of) in the motor trade (and hating it, incidentally) back in the day, I saw the first roll out of the Montegos with the all-digital dash with the Vanden Plaz model.  All waxed up and looking exactly like a Meastro but a bit longer.