Author Topic: Van driver becomes first convicted for 'lane-hogging'  (Read 2794 times)

captainfly

• is fantastic!!!
  • HEY HO, LET'S GO!
Re: Van driver becomes first convicted for 'lane-hogging'
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »
I think thus is a good thing, as stated before, this breaks rhe rules, you should drive on the inside lane unless you are overtaking something, the point of this is entirely about safety. It is entirely possible that the traffic on the inside lane will be doing the speed limit in which case all traffic should be in that lane, not having some idiot in the middle lane driving at whatever speed they fancy just because they can't be bothered changing lanes if something slower than them happens to be in front of them.  The priblem xomes when a car in the middle lane is overtaken and the traffuc on their unside is moving faster than them.  This kind of inconsideratuon is dangerous and should be treated as such.

wotan

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 09:39:58 PM »
The California rules make the most sense to me.

From the California Drivers Handbook

"Drive in the lane with the smoothest flow of traffic. If you can choose
among three lanes, pick the middle lane for the smoothest driving.
To drive faster, pass, or turn left, use the left lane.
When you choose to drive slowly or enter or turn off the road, use the right lane."

"Do not weave in and out of traffic. Stay in one lane as much as possible"

I wonder how you would deal with a six lane highway?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:44:39 PM by wotan »

Q13

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 10:06:07 PM »

When you choose to drive slowly or enter or turn off the road, use the right lane."

And is it easy or had to pass a driving testin the states. That is unless you wantto run amok with a vehicle and provide endless hours of police chase footage for europeans to consume?

Q13

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 10:17:38 PM »

Wos dat? Well the three right hand lanes are for driving in the opposite direction, obviously ;)

wotan

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 10:45:19 PM »
And is it easy or had to pass a driving testin the states. That is unless you wantto run amok with a vehicle and provide endless hours of police chase footage for europeans to consume?

No harder or easier than the UK, easy if you are a competent driver. we do have to take a written test of 46 questions. I don't remember taking a written in the UK, do you have to take one now?
When I took the test in Seattle, the examiner chastised me for feeding the steering wheel through my hands, "we don't do that here, your not in England, grab the wheel and crossover your hands". I also had to parallel park, which I didn't have to do in the UK.
If you move to a different State you have to take the test again in that State.

They don't have hot pursuit police chases in the UK? I think so. 

wotan

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 10:54:44 PM »
Wos dat? Well the three right hand lanes are for driving in the opposite direction, obviously ;)

San Francisco-Oakland Bridge

Keep the middle lane clear for overtaking

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:57:38 PM by wotan »

Q13

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 11:10:34 PM »
^^^ Mobile parking lot?

No chance of the average brit driver coping with this. :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 11:13:49 PM by Q13 »

Q13

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 04:58:11 PM »
No harder or easier than the UK, easy if you are a competent driver. we do have to take a written test of 46 questions. I don't remember taking a written in the UK, do you have to take one now?
When I took the test in Seattle, the examiner chastised me for feeding the steering wheel through my hands, "we don't do that here, your not in England, grab the wheel and crossover your hands". I also had to parallel park, which I didn't have to do in the UK.
If you move to a different State you have to take the test again in that State.

They don't have hot pursuit police chases in the UK? I think so.

Yes they do have a theoretical multiple choice exam relating to one's knowledge or lack thereof of "the highway code". Interesting and highly amusing don't feed the steering wheel through your hands, well us Brits are a bit more reserved than our brash american cousins ;)

I was hoping for Sven to put something on this thread, something I learnt from watching top gear:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Sweden
Apparently it is one of the most intensive and odious drving tests on the planet.

Oh and as for UK police chases, our police cars are not equipped with bullbars. Hot pursuits in the Uk usually end up with the offender being "taken down" in a back garden or allotment as they run from the stolen vehicle. Not like as in the states where world war three errupts on the highway with guns blazing mulitple police cars ramming the vehicle and it has to end up with a dramatic crash with at least three rollovers and some street furniture being involved. ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 05:03:26 PM by Q13 »

captainfly

• is fantastic!!!
  • HEY HO, LET'S GO!
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 08:33:59 AM »

So lobg as everyone knows and follows the rules then either way is alright, the point is in the UK the rules are different.

Highway code rule
268.Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested
conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-
hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these
conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing
traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

So you can happliy be in the middle lane if there is slower moving traffic in the inside lane.

As for six lane highways, I say pah is that all, seven lames are vommon here and there are the ogg streach of eight plus slip roads.

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 10:23:50 AM »
About time !!!

MattW

• Debt free
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 08:14:33 AM »
Will be interesting to see how many others will be caught and fined for hogging the middle lane.