Author Topic: Van driver becomes first convicted for 'lane-hogging'  (Read 2793 times)

oake

• 6f616b65
Van driver becomes first convicted for 'lane-hogging'
« on: June 21, 2015, 09:25:16 PM »
About time too. >:(

A van driver is thought to be the first British motorist to be convicted of "lane hogging" after refusing to move from the middle lane of a motorway.
The Huddersfield Examiner reports that the driver of a Citroen Berlingo van was handed a 940 court bill and five points on his licence after driving at 60 miles-per-hour down the middle lane of the M62 when the inside lane was available.
According to the newspaper, six drivers had to brake and then overtake after being blocked by the van in August last year.
New 100 on-the-spot fines were introduced in August 2013 to deal with the issue of middle-lane hogging.
The driver failed to appear in court but was handed the penalty in the form of a 500 fine, 400 costs and a 40 victim surcharge.
West Yorkshire Police's Road Policing Unit said lane hogging "can lead to dangerous situations where other drivers 'tailgate' the vehicle in front to try and get the lane hogger to move over".

ITV News

Q13

Re: Van driver becomes first convicted for 'lane-hogging'
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 09:46:55 PM »
Let him off. This isn't a case about white van man speeding down the outside lane. Middle lane? Okay overtake him.
what's the problem?

Or is this about motorists who covet the middle lane and are too afraid to go in the outside lane?

effing..........

Pathetic. Move into the right hand lane the limit is 70mph  a 10 mph advantage pass the white van,
but applaude a law suit.

Pass him by at 100mph or more if there are no cameras or cops around

say you are glad he is going to be prosected for occupy the middle lane?

Get a grip.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:56:48 PM by Q13 »

wotan

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 10:11:31 PM »
I the US they'll pass to the left of you, the right of you, and go over you if they could.
Cross five lanes to pass. It's legal to overtake in any lane.
Driving on the inside lane is a pain, having constantly to pull out to pass slow moving traffic, people entering the Motorway and having merge with traffic.

Q13

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 10:24:39 PM »
I the US they'll pass to the left of you, the right of you, and go over you if they could.
Cross five lanes to pass. It's legal to overtake in any lane.
Driving on the inside lane is a pain, having constantly to pull out to pass slow moving traffic, people entering the Motorway and having merge with traffic.

We brits apparently get "our knickers in a twist" if presented with such a conundrum :)
Yes in the UK coping with idiots who pull over constantly only to pull out in the next 30 seconds as you approach them maintainging a constant speed...........
Best advice I can give is stay in the outside lane 90mph plus.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 10:28:52 PM by Q13 »

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 10:27:55 PM »
Let him off. This isn't a case about white van man speeding down the outside lane. Middle lane? Okay overtake him.
what's the problem?

Or is this about motorists who covet the middle lane and are too afraid to go in the outside lane?

effing..........

Pathetic. Move into the right hand lane the limit is 70mph  a 10 mph advantage pass the white van,
but applaude a law suit.

Pass him by at 100mph or more if there are no cameras or cops around

say you are glad he is going to be prosected for occupy the middle lane?

Get a grip.

You're coming across as the sort of clueless idiot who's a total menace on the road.

But I'm sure you're just trying to be humorous.

Aren't you? ???

Q13

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 10:43:32 PM »
You're coming across as the sort of clueless idiot who's a total menace on the road.

But I'm sure you're just trying to be humorous.

Aren't you? ???

Not at all, nor funny. A menace when I was on the road?
I was never  a middle lane hogger, I hate them, but I could
pass them by or overake such numb skulls on an A road or b road.

I don't and would never complain about a slower driver in front of me if there was another lane I could avail myself of.
I don't see the problem.

I did once get some driver to pull over and let me pass because I was a twat and thought being up his arse at a ridiculous speed but
couldn't overtake  him which is what I wanted to do because he pt his fut down bt gave up.
christ give me another lane I could quietly without moaning about or interferring with, I would choose, to pass them by irrespective of what lane.

But I was lucky then. Clueless idiot on the road? I would have been long before you had time to make such a judgement.

Now I stick to bus. There are idiots I concede, I just passed them by.

And I so miss it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 10:45:59 PM by Q13 »

wotan

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 10:51:51 PM »
I someone is driving at the speed limit in the middle lane, surely passing them would be illegally driving above the speed limit?
I can't see such laws working here.
Isn't the outside lane in the UK specifically for overtaking?

Q13

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 10:56:03 PM »
I someone is driving at the speed limit in the middle lane, surely passing them would be illegally driving above the speed limit?

Oh I hate talking about myself, one because I am sure others have better stories to tell  and two I don'twant toappear egoistical in the vacuum that others leave because they won't say................Plymouth to Lydney 2 hours and twenty minutes no traffic. Shave 35 minutes off that. I enjoyed it. Never got upset about a middle lane driver :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:05:44 PM by Q13 »

wotan

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 11:09:40 PM »
I used to commute 46 miles each way to work in the San Francisco Bay Area traffic free for all for many years. Getting all het up over other drivers will give one ulcers, or possibly get one shot. Better just relax and keep cool.
The was one instance of a driver getting shot because he was holding up someone who's girlfriend needed to go to the toilet.

Q13

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 11:10:09 PM »

Yes it is, but if idiots are impeding your way, adopt the us model.
They will soon forget about the incident as they become preoccupied with writing to their mp.

No liberty here wotan.

Q13

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 11:12:06 PM »
I used to commute 46 miles each way to work in the San Francisco Bay Area traffic free for all for many years. Getting all het up over other drivers will give one ulcers, or possibly get one shot. Better just relax and keep cool.
The was one instance of a driver getting shot because he was holding up someone who's girlfriend needed to go to the toilet.

No guns here otherwise I would have been shot a long time ago :)

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 12:37:56 AM »

Both the middle and outside lanes are specifically for overtaking.

wotan

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 07:03:52 AM »
Both the middle and outside lanes are specifically for overtaking.

Presumably if you are driving in the middle lane you would be continuously overtaking slow moving vehicles. seems to make more sense to stay in the middle lane if you are driving at the limit, instead of ducking in and out.

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 09:55:17 AM »
Presumably if you are driving in the middle lane you would be continuously overtaking slow moving vehicles. seems to make more sense to stay in the middle lane if you are driving at the limit, instead of ducking in and out.

It might seem to make more sense, but the rules say otherwise.

You could probably make the same argument about the outside lane when traffic is heavy, and the middle lane is occupied by people driving at 60mph. ;)

Q13

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 11:28:25 AM »
To oake, I apologise. It is agood thing was convicted. Apart from middlelane hoggers are  apain the bottom, not everyone can overtake in the outside lane hgv's coaches etc.

Just had a bad experience with a driver who moved into the middle lane slowed up to overtake moved into the left most lane, speeded up and did this incessantly and unnecessarily waiting to two car lengths to come into the middle lane. It was so painfull.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:21:43 PM by Q13 »