Author Topic: Does this sound dodgy??  (Read 1586 times)

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
Does this sound dodgy??
« on: June 06, 2015, 05:35:39 PM »
1) At last years MOT time I took my Seat into the local Seat service centre. It failed the MOT on emissions. The engineer called me and said he suspected that the catalytic converters (there's two on the Ibiza) was failing and quoted me 1100 for relacement. When I kicked up a stink about the price, he said he said they could 'tweak' it to get it throgh the MOT, but it would need replacing eventually. 8 months later I've not noticed any change in the performance of the car or spotted any of the symptoms of a failing cat. A mechanic - a freind of a freind - said there was probaby nothing to worry about, and the garage was possibly trying to pull a fast one.

2) On May 12th this year I booked the car back in to investigate an unhealthy noise coming from under the bonnet. The same garage said the auxillary belt and tensioner needed replacing and that was what was causing the noise. They done the work ( I think) charged me 200 and about a week ago I noticed the noise had returned. I'm going to get the mechanic - friend of a freind - to cast his eye over this, and hopefully check if the work was carried out at all (perhaps they just adjusted the existing tensioner??)

Any opinions and advice would be appreciated. Am I being taken for a ride??

wotan

Re: Does this sound dodgy??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 10:05:20 PM »
We don,t have an MoT test here in California, but an emissions (smog) test every other year. Whoever does the test is not allowed to do the repairs.

One has to be suspicious of dodgy mechanics and sometimes they're just incompetent.
I know there are some that will disagree, but I always go the Honda dealer service center. I have never feel I've been ripped off, and with regular service I usually keep a car at least ten years pretty much trouble free. Preventive maintenance pays off in the long run.

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 06:39:20 AM »
I normally take the car to an MOT only place rather than a garage who benefit from finding things wrong..  ;)

This latest issue with the aux belt is starting to look very dodgy to me. Unless of course the sound is the result of something completely different that they didn't diagnose. Can't think what though.

Q13

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 01:19:52 AM »
NW can't you submit you car for a pre-MOT inspection to say three garages and then get their reports and quote them off against each other for the work necessary? Sweet talk each as you ask for the pre-mot or better still get your wife or girlfriend or a female friend to act dumb flutter her eyelids and come out with a sob story that she needs the car to get her kids to school as a single mother and to go to work, blah blah blah or just call their bluff.

Google the alleged MOT failure for yor make model ad year and see if there are any similar prolems or as to the real cost of replacements. Typically car parts are marked up on cost up to ten times for retail or similar. Yeit sounds like some grease monkeys are trying to rip you off. Is it a diesel, many people got suckered into buying diesels and they are fucked when their cats give out. Been through any deep puddles? Cats don't like water.

Tweek it to get it through the Mot, yes obviously run the engine lean. Used to involve a simpleatweakto the carbs, now afewtaps on a keyboard when plugged into the car's ecu.

Best of luck.

captainfly

• is fantastic!!!
  • HEY HO, LET'S GO!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 03:24:40 PM »
The dodgy thing is taking a car ro a main dealer dor an mot, use rhe xoucil run mot testing station.  Then fing an independant mechanic/garage with a good reputation to do any work, Main dealers are for company owned cars or free/cheap service deals.

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 04:37:00 PM »
The dodgy thing is taking a car ro a main dealer dor an mot, use rhe xoucil run mot testing station.  Then fing an independant mechanic/garage with a good reputation to do any work, Main dealers are for company owned cars or free/cheap service deals.

Did you try to type that with your cock or something... ?  :ROFL:

Sorry, yes I think you're right. I do normally take it to an MOT only place, but last year it just worked out easier with the timing of the service and my work arrangements to take it to the same place. I won't be doing that again.

wotan

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 08:09:01 PM »

A good reputation? Good luck with that.
Should I take my Mercedes S63 to Joe's Garage?

Q13

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 10:00:49 PM »
A good reputation? Good luck with that.
Should I take my Mercedes S63 to Joe's Garage?

It would be a sad state of affairs if you owned a S63, but then moaned about servicing costs.
Or indeed had to even be bothered with what they were.
Luckily, in some ways for NW he doesn't own such a capitalist barge so perhaps
NW may just find music to his ears at Joe's Garage;)
Of course yes, good luck, but as George Melly once said to me
"I have a nice little man who makes my suits for me".
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 10:06:59 PM by Q13 »

wotan

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 10:23:34 PM »
It would be a sad state of affairs if you owned a S63, but then moaned about servicing costs.
Or indeed had to even be bothered with what they were.
Luckily, in some ways for NW he doesn't own such a capitalist barge so perhaps
NW may just find music to his ears at Joe's Garage;)
Of course yes, good luck, but as George Melly once said to me
"I have a nice little man who makes my suits for me".

NW and the Captain, can do as they please.
I've had my cars regularly serviced at the dealership for years, no complaints. The
odd occasion when I have used Joe's Garage I've regretted it.

Q13

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 10:43:50 PM »
NW and the Captain, can do as they please.
I've had my cars regularly serviced at the dealership for years, no complaints. The
odd occasion when I have used Joe's Garage I've regretted it.

Ever come across the phrase "Rip-Off Britain"?

wotan

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 11:03:34 PM »
Ever come across the phrase "Rip-Off Britain"?

I don't believe Britain is unique in that respect. Rip-off artists are everywhere.
More likely to be Joe's Garage than Honda.

The Captain can do what he likes, I'm expressing my opinion in response to the op.
Of course in California, the test stations do not do repairs.
Modern cars are largely diagnosed by plugging in to the cars computer systems.
My new car gives a code on the dash when a particular service is required.

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 06:08:16 AM »
A friend of my mums partner; a former mechanic said he has never worked at a garage that didn't rip people off. It's widespread and common in the industry. It's why he got out of the buisness and went to work as an engineer elsewhere.

Basically, it's best if you are recommended a mechanic who is personally known and trusted by a firend or family member. Not just someone who done a good job once. Personally I think they take one look at you or suss you out on the phone and if they don't like you or think you're a clueless gimp they'll stitch you up.

Q13

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 03:25:03 PM »

I don't believe Britain is unique in that respect. Rip-off artists are everywhere.
More likely to be Joe's Garage than Honda.

The Captain can do what he likes, I'm expressing my opinion in response to the op.
Of course in California, the test stations do not do repairs.
Modern cars are largely diagnosed by plugging in to the cars computer systems.
My new car gives a code on the dash when a particular service is required.

How do you know that code is not bugged to flag up a service when it isn't needed? ;)
Or what if the messenger is faulty and nothing else?

I jest.

Modern cars, forget the day of kerbside repairs, got to plug the damn thin into a laptop then you have a female version of Hal tell you how she is is feeling on that particular day.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:32:58 PM by Q13 »