Author Topic: Local news for local people  (Read 21321 times)

Carnelian

Re: Local news for local people
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 03:45:28 PM »
Labour hold Norwich City Council 

Thought I'd put it in here.  Conservatives and LibDems loose seats to Labour and Greens.  Norwich voters not happy with LibDem coalition with Tories.

Eastern Daily Press

The Labour party will continue to run Norwich City Council with a minority administration after holding all six of its seats in yesterday's election and winning a further one.

The last of the results came through just before 2.30am today, with Labour holding 16 seats on the council, the Green Party 14, the Liberal Democrats five and the Conservatives just four.

The biggest shock was in Bowthorpe, where former Conservative group leader Antony Little lost his seat to Labour's Jo Storie by just 46 seats.

And the Green Party gained Thorpe Hamlet from the Liberal Democrats, with Lesley Grahame's 859 votes placing her well ahead of the other three candidates

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED09%20Sep%202010%2021%3A30%3A36%3A660

muf 99%

• Back from the dead! Zombie Muf ;)
  • Divide & conquer!
    • What I'm listening to
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 11:58:35 PM »

For anyone in the area :)

Lol Does that count as SPAM?? ;D

panther

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 01:25:56 AM »
Old photos aid Brookwood Cemetery thefts investigation

That cemetery is a bloody disgrace. Really dreadful place, no effort to clear bracken, shrubs and even small trees growing around graves, rabbits all over the place with an outbreak of myxamotisis last time I was there.

Grim sights that will stick with me from visiting it: unmarked baby graves with rabbit holes in/around them, sunken graves with no sign of filling in, dead rabbit corpses sitting amongst the graves, usual dead flowers/litter all over the place. I don't know why anyone would choose for themselves or a loved one to be buried in such a place.

By comparison the military cemetery next door is top notch. I guess if we do one thing right for our troops, it's that we ensure they get a decent burial.

Chewie

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 12:09:56 PM »
Now I know why it's been hard to 'score' locally recently=

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2079495_sophisticated_dealer_found_with_cannabis_stash

and finally, some good news (of sorts) for residents of Woking-

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2079229_towns_rated_for_individuality_of_high_streets

Sadly, anyone from anywhere else, encouraged to visit here by such a story, will be disheartened if they arrive by car due to the councils lack of foresight in phasing of traffic lights, co-ordination of roadworks etc.

MattW

• Debt free
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 10:15:51 PM »
Not recent but one of my favourite local news stories (well - East Anglia) was of a Farmer putting a thoughtful sign by the side of the road outside that read 'Mud' - to warn motorists of the slippery road conditions caused by muddy tractor wheels, etc.

Then a day later, some joker came along and placed a sign on the opposite side of the road that read 'Showaddywaddy'

;D

Chewie

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 11:32:47 PM »
that raised a much needed smirk.
 ;D

MattW

• Debt free
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 09:25:18 PM »
that raised a much needed smirk.
 ;D

Excellent! The World needs more laughter and smirks.  :D

Natural Mystic

• hello
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 03:09:19 PM »
http://www.thisistotalessex.co.uk/news/Undefined-Headline/article-2833770-detail/article.html

He should be glad he wasn't helping out at my sons after school club !!!

As for his defence "Matthew Dance, mitigating, said White was previously of good character, suffers from Hodgkin's Lymphoma and started looking at paedophilic pictures "as a result of depression after losing his business"  FFS I've heard it all

muf 99%

• Divide & conquer!
    • What I'm listening to
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 06:29:08 PM »
my local MP becomes President of the Liberals :)

Tim Farron - MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale - received 14,593 votes   from party members. He has called tuition fees "the poll tax of our   generation"

Chewie

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 09:02:32 PM »
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2081393_wisley_woman_jailed_over_false_rape_claim

Exactly the kind of case that a certain threads protaganists legal team will be highlighting.
Women who do this do harm to so many other cases and the men they slur.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:33:52 AM by Chewie »

Chewie

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 09:25:51 AM »
Changes to benefit 'patients with greatest needs'

How are local press are reporting what's important to this area.

Our local hospitalk has been around the bottom of the league tables since their inception.

This one is of interest too.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:34:07 AM by Chewie »

Q13

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 09:13:56 PM »
I'll say it quietly. The south west: that's the bit of england the rest of you consider quaint real estate for most of the time and indeed some of you think is a f###ing theme park aka poldark? Anyway we got shat on with snow and thunderstorms, yes lightening with snow! last night. Now you can all have a piece of it knowing we had it first!!!! :)

And by the way you know those nasty breezes you get with a little bit of rain? They come off the atlantic and hit us first as storm force winds with driving rain and inevitably the loss of a few fisherman who bring you your pleasant cuisine.

As I said. IT STARTED HERE for a change and we got a mention on the national media! The first since the Green Army Adverts :D :D :D 

Forgive me, call it local pride.

All day today the yocals have sat in awe at bus stops waiting for buses that will never arrive watching these things called four by fours pummel past at ridiculous speeds.

The four by four isn't that something that was spawned by Londoners prior to their conquest of the rest of the UK?

muf 99%

• Divide & conquer!
    • What I'm listening to
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 11:32:01 AM »
Earthquake and pestilence hit cumbria

Well maybe not pestilence, but I wouldn't rule it out this year ;D

makodragon

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 03:10:58 PM »
Postman breaks leg, no mail.
http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2010/12/23/postman-s-broken-leg-means-no-christmas-mail-for-parts-of-llandudno-55243-27871335/
Deliveries to parts of Llandudno were suspended for health and safety reasons after one postman slipped and broke his leg.
People in Craigside, parts of Craig-y-Don and West Shore were allegedly told that the only way to guarantee receiving letters and parcels in time for Christmas was to collect them from the sorting office themselves.
Town councillor Brian Bertola, who lives in Craigside, said on Tuesday he and his neighbours hadn’t received any post since Thursday morning.
“It’s a dreadful reflection on a public service and the health and safety culture that the unfortunate accident involving one postman has been used as an excuse for Royal Mail not to carry out its duty of delivering the post,” he said.
“The milkman has delivered milk to my house every day and my newspaper has also been delivered from Penrhyn Bay, so there is no reason why a postman can’t get here.”

wamdue

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »
agreed health and safety has to be stopped, its gone way to far in genreal, even more so in the pubilc sector

on the other hand I love the local press, they will print any letter I send them.