Author Topic: Hi-Fi and music formats.  (Read 8765 times)

tequila_nic

Re: Hi-Fi and music formats.
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 09:59:44 AM »
To talk about money is vulgar instead indulge us with names. You refer to new music, what about music that is not new and not crap? What about all those vinyl recordings not available in a digital format? Why the shift from cd sales to vinyl? Why the convience of crap digital downloads over vinyl and cd's? Anyone including me can take a vinyl recoding and sterilise it and clean it up on their pc. You want to appreciate the quality of music in a digital format only? I guess you have long since given up on live music as well.

The idea of warming up a cd transport for an hour before inserting the plastic is a joke. Oh and as you would be well advised to do some research as mentioned above by a previous poster, I have found protagonists of the media admiiting early cd recordings were crap.

Hiss pop and squeak? Christ I have gone through my vinyl and others and if there was a pop or click or anything just once in a whole album it deserved closer inspection of the vinyl as it is an anomaly. Also how come you do not refer to FLAC files given you are such a devotee of digital? Yet to purchase a suitably expensive Flac playing front end?

Afterall it was Al who contended cd was a cheap and affordable way to listen to quality music and all you do is say cd is better than vinyl when you are lucky enough "like me" to listen to both media on kit costing thousands. Hardly the point. Fuck me why not hire the band for the evening if one is so lavish?

Oh and please do mention the Chord company when you get around to it, or why not or why I have bothered asking you.

The debate about digital versus vinyl does not extend into the eosteric realms of this sort of kit. If it was then there wouldn't be a musician in the land making a living.

Such a rant Fucking hell Q you need to calm down a little all I said was 'it depends on the source'

But if you want names look at Meridian, Wadia or DCS

But if you want me to name my current set up (it's always looking for the next upgrade) It's DCS along with a SME 30 turntable (one of the ones listed in your link) fitted with a Lyra cart with EAR Paravicini pre and powerd by Tom Evans modified Power to a pair of ATC 100 SL, and all cable is Kimber

'The idea of warming up a cd transport for an hour before inserting the plastic is a joke.' Yes it is and it's not one I've heard.

but the debate does extend to the esoteric as we are the ones having it daily

But as I said Q you need to calm down

Nic

tequila_nic

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 10:02:30 AM »
25000 bloody hell, is it solid gold?

LOL not quite

it's a 3 box setup from DCS http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/scarlatti/

There's one going on ebay for the same I paid for mine (I had older DCS and the offer an upgrade path)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dCS-SCARLATTI-4-BOX-CD-PLAYER-/390810316595?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5afe1c2f33

Nic

tequila_nic

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 10:09:45 AM »
I've just been looking at those from the link on your earlier post. The increase in quality per dollar spent must decrease dramatically when you pay that kind of money for kit. I would deduce therefore that only poseurs would own a turntable (or CD player) that expensive.

It's the nth degree of improvement

Like a motor head always looking for the extra bhp the cost is irreverent as long as we perceive the improvement

Nic

tequila_nic

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 10:10:31 AM »
Try this, speaker cable. And yes you did read the price correctly. I had a friend who worked for the Chord Company.

A pair of speaker cables, I haven't bothered to see if that accomodates bi-wiring (it does not). It is long though, I suppose for a big room in a stately home or such like.

Makes Nic's boasts look like he was doing things on the cheap.

If you're spending that you's be better off with Nordost

http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20ODIN%20Speaker%20Cable.htm

Nic

tequila_nic

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 11:14:08 AM »
To be precise it is the cost of the lives of 51 children in Africa infected with malaria who could have otherwise avoided death with a 25 anti-mosquito tent/net each.

Then every time you piss away your last bottle of vodka you may as well be pissing on the face of a child dying of thirst

But well done Q another thread fucked up by the resident angry fucking drunk.

Nic

Clax

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2015, 07:26:44 AM »
It's the nth degree of improvement

Like a motor head always looking for the extra bhp the cost is irreverent as long as we perceive the improvement

Nic

I suppose so, but as much as I love my music, I don't think I would spend that much. I suspect my ears aren't trained enough to do justice to that much expense.

Q13

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2015, 04:20:27 PM »
But well done Q another thread fucked up by the resident angry fucking drunk.

Nic

I started it it is my privelege! Cheers! ;)
Carry on and just ignore me otherwise and just feed me pleasantries from time to time to keep me happy. The angry bit is correct, the angry fucking drunk? Well that covers a multitude of things, you can take your pick and come back at me anytime, I will admit I can be offensive, arrogant, cantakerous, uncomunicative, ignorant and everything else I am sure you and others have equallly been accused of whilst sober.

Perhaps it may just have something to do with thinking I was going to grow up and save the world as a kid. Got my degree and we were all constantly being seriously asked about environmental problems etc etc. I graduated and realised whilst it was nice for people to ask my opinion in college no-one would pay me for it so I descended first into thinking about the defence research establishment having lived with three female vivisectionsists who worked at porton down and one day a copper came to my place of work to advise me I should look for bombs under my car because I knew and lived with these women, which I did actually before they had told me to (sorry I digress). Yes don't kill the whale by Yes I have posted it and I thought I was going to save the world before realising I had to prostitute myself (We are All Prostitutes, the only theatre production bar one and that was about USAF F111 pilots from Upper Heyford following the bombing of Ghaddafi. so stoned they started a nuclear war).

We all have our stories, I like conveying mine, for whatever it is worth to other's not me, like saying 25k on some hi-fi maybe just you and I Nic realise that is possible and very credible, wether it is right or wrong wayed up against desirable or undesirable in the context of my original argument whereby I like vinyl and digital is just a coomodity, but Al knocked me back saying cd was wonderful, are you now friends with Al because you say you have had access to estoric kit and we should listen to what you have to say about the great debate or are you out just to give Al a stroke? ;) Talking along with me and me only such hi end and I am suprised you have not heard about leaving equipement on just to warm it through to get the best out of.

Okay so this particular piss head may have pissed you off. What for? Starting this thread, debating on it and not leaving you out in the cold like some facist boastful idiot because you have been lucky enough or stupid enough to spend so much more money than most here even thought was possibile on hi-fi and my next thread was going to be about home cinema.

I am sorry you have to be so simple as to characterise me with simple first impressions and have a go at me for squandering a thread I started and you contributed to, for which I am grateful and Nic whilst I am not envious, the SME nice choice I would have one too if I could have bought it from an argos catalogue for argos money, something most here I think may be able to relate to unless like me they spent a bit more money and it lasted.

SO what do you wnat from me? An apology for having a go at you for your contribution? Or did what I say cause you the reason for you upset and characterisation of me with being a piss head?

I don't care, I am just sorry you feel this way.

You come on and say cd is best because I bought 25k worth of kit and have been lucky enough to listen to front end vinyl and cd and I can tell you all cd is best. Sorry this piss head head has upset youm because I started the thread and you now want to accuse me of killing it. even though unlike you I should readers it is possible to spend easily a, to some, a vulgar amount of money on an indulgence because you could and you say I have spoilt the thread since I had the audacity perhaps and others may have agreed with this accountant's way of knowing the cost of everythign but the value of nothing.

Q13

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2015, 04:25:44 PM »
Then every time you piss away your last bottle of vodka you may as well be pissing on the face of a child dying of thirst

Nic

Vodka ;) No Nic just cheap cider for me it is an abuse problem that is all. I do though agree with you, but then you are just reiterating my argument about what a waste of moeny eosoritic hi-fi is when a malaria tent can prevent a death for 25.

Did you make a contribution to my charitable thread giving thread just before xmas?

Q13

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2015, 04:29:07 PM »
I suppose so, but as much as I love my music, I don't think I would spend that much. I suspect my ears aren't trained enough to do justice to that much expense.

It is the law of diminshing returns and consurism fashion capitalism whatever through the art of marketing will make those who have think they are attainging something more if they just spend those few extra grand on whatever (and Nic I state this as a general comment and not directed at you) just for that unimpercitable attainment of "something better".

Q13

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2015, 04:41:34 PM »
If you're spending that you's be better off with Nordost

http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20ODIN%20Speaker%20Cable.htm

Nic

Explain to the uneducated and the piss heads around here why then ;) I for one am interested Nic. Thankyou.

I have got the kit I have and the vinyl I have. Neither gives me any satisfaction.
I wouldn't now consider paying a penny more on either.

.........................Home cinema and Tv's  ................ >    :clap:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:53:05 PM by Q13 »

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2015, 04:53:06 PM »
prices the gullible pay for cables never ceases to make me laugh -- anything over 2 for normal home use & you've paid wayyyyy too much

Q13

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
prices the gullible pay for cables never ceases to make me laugh -- anything over 2 for normal home use & you've paid wayyyyy too much

Sorry it is worth paying more than 2, ask Richer sounds to lend you some for a home trial, they used to, there is a difference. But 2k, maybe that's just because of what you have in your wallet as just cash.

As I have said befoe Barky your listening experience is limited to the quality of the worst bit in your kit. What's the point of spending a few hundred quid on a cd or turntable and amp, let alone all those sheckels on cd's and vinyl, only to pipie it through crap cable costing a couple of quid? You would spend a couple of quid on a ball of string to connect two polystyrene cups to talk over with your neices and newphews. All that money spent on cd's and vinyl a front end turntable or cd player and then an amp and then you want to make it a waste of time spending no-more on cables than a ball of string?

To Barky and others who may read this, it may only cost you twenty or thirty quid to upgrade your speaker cable and then some if you wnat to upgrade you interconnects, cables from the turntable or cd player to amp. I promise you, you will hear an improvement and you will think to yourselves why did I not do this before.

Would you not agree Nic?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 05:24:50 PM by Q13 »

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2015, 05:51:47 PM »
should probably add: I've got a virtually free source for cables, don't have any vinyl & never had a turntable

tequila_nic

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 10:29:04 AM »

The usual maths is about 5% of budget for cables but I've been known to go higher :)

Nic

tequila_nic

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 10:33:16 AM »
Sorry it is worth paying more than 2, ask Richer sounds to lend you some for a home trial, they used to, there is a difference. But 2k, maybe that's just because of what you have in your wallet as just cash.

Have to agree

I have a friend who works in material testing and they test material content of cables.  Last lot that came from china (don't know why this would be surprising) but they were steel with a copper coat!

Nic