Author Topic: Hi-Fi and music formats.  (Read 8000 times)

Clax

Re: Hi-Fi and music formats.
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 08:11:32 PM »
As an anology for luddites out there, vhs was great, dvd's so much more superior and blu ray now so much better than plain old garden dvd's and the latest must have. Vinyl may not be so convenient, but in my opinion will never be superseded unless you want to go the route of modern home cinema entertainment and want to listen to something like this, I am lucky enough to own and appreciate. Then you have no choice, but to be digital.

Sorry Q13, it's already been superseded in sound quality and capacity by CD.  With CD you can convert to MP3 and is more portable than vinyl.  PS, VHS was never 'great' it was shit from the outset but the only show in town.  Personally, the  enhancements of Blu Ray over DVD are nice to have but I can take or leave them.  VHS is a format I was happy to see the back of.

You don't know what you're talking about if you think CD surpasses vinyl for sound quality, do some research and come back to me.. You are equally uninformed if you think you can't convert vinyl to MP3, I have a turntable that does just that. The only part of your post that is correct is that CD's are more portable than vinyl, but forgive me for not choosing my music medium on its 'portability'

Q13

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 08:26:15 PM »
I have a turntable that does just that.

You don't even need a usb eqipped turntable, just something old and quality hooked up to a good old amp and then you plug the amp into the back of the pc and use this free software from audacity.

tequila_nic

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 12:12:46 PM »
You don't know what you're talking about if you think CD surpasses vinyl for sound quality,

Depends on the source

Given new music is done completely digitally (consider meridian recordings or DCS) new his res audio leave vinyl sound dull and tainted

Fair enough it may cost for a CD player setup (my one retails at 25000 when it was new) but to say vinyl is better is simply wrong (and I've been luckly enough to have some very expensive equipment to compare side by side)

Natural Mystic

• hello
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 01:09:01 PM »
I had a great collection of vinyls, all got stolen about 20 years ago :(

Q13

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 01:29:54 PM »
I had a great collection of vinyls, all got stolen about 20 years ago :(

That's really sad NM :(

Q13

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 05:40:34 PM »
Depends on the source

Given new music is done completely digitally (consider meridian recordings or DCS) new his res audio leave vinyl sound dull and tainted

Fair enough it may cost for a CD player setup (my one retails at 25000 when it was new) but to say vinyl is better is simply wrong (and I've been luckly enough to have some very expensive equipment to compare side by side)

To talk about money is vulgar instead indulge us with names. You refer to new music, what about music that is not new and not crap? What about all those vinyl recordings not available in a digital format? Why the shift from cd sales to vinyl? Why the convience of crap digital downloads over vinyl and cd's? Anyone including me can take a vinyl recoding and sterilise it and clean it up on their pc. You want to appreciate the quality of music in a digital format only? I guess you have long since given up on live music as well.

The idea of warming up a cd transport for an hour before inserting the plastic is a joke. Oh and as you would be well advised to do some research as mentioned above by a previous poster, I have found protagonists of the media admiiting early cd recordings were crap.

Hiss pop and squeak? Christ I have gone through my vinyl and others and if there was a pop or click or anything just once in a whole album it deserved closer inspection of the vinyl as it is an anomaly. Also how come you do not refer to FLAC files given you are such a devotee of digital? Yet to purchase a suitably expensive Flac playing front end?

Afterall it was Al who contended cd was a cheap and affordable way to listen to quality music and all you do is say cd is better than vinyl when you are lucky enough "like me" to listen to both media on kit costing thousands. Hardly the point. Fuck me why not hire the band for the evening if one is so lavish?

Oh and please do mention the Chord company when you get around to it, or why not or why I have bothered asking you.

The debate about digital versus vinyl does not extend into the eosteric realms of this sort of kit. If it was then there wouldn't be a musician in the land making a living.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:56:28 PM by Q13 »

Clax

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 07:14:08 PM »
Depends on the source

25000 bloody hell, is it solid gold?

Q13

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 07:17:38 PM »
25000 bloody hell, is it solid gold?

You can spend that easily without adornments. A turntable

Roughly 200k
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:53:47 PM by Q13 »

Clax

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 07:25:23 PM »
You can spend that easily without adornments. A turntable

I've just been looking at those from the link on your earlier post. The increase in quality per dollar spent must decrease dramatically when you pay that kind of money for kit. I would deduce therefore that only poseurs would own a turntable (or CD player) that expensive.

Q13

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 07:29:40 PM »
I've just been looking at those from the link on your earlier post. The increase in quality per dollar spent must decrease dramatically when you pay that kind of money for kit. I would deduce therefore that only poseurs would own a turntable (or CD player) that expensive.

Try this, speaker cable. And yes you did read the price correctly. I had a friend who worked for the Chord Company.

A pair of speaker cables, I haven't bothered to see if that accomodates bi-wiring (it does not). It is long though, I suppose for a big room in a stately home or such like.

Makes Nic's boasts look like he was doing things on the cheap.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:48:59 PM by Q13 »

Clax

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 08:07:32 PM »
At least it's free delivery...

Q13

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 08:09:01 PM »
Okay I will be reasonable this time. Something six feet long to connect your blu-ray, sky box or freeview player to the tele in your front room that is best described now as a panel.

AudioQuest Diamond HDMI Cable 2m

1,289.00 to you Sir.  If you want a "quality" longer than this hdmi cable you can spend up to and over 7k.

Q13

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 08:30:49 PM »
I would deduce therefore that only poseurs would own a turntable (or CD player) that expensive.

It is simply because they can.

MadWorld

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 08:52:06 PM »
Okay I will be reasonable this time. Something six feet long to connect your blu-ray, sky box or freeview player to the tele in your front room that is best described now as a panel.

AudioQuest Diamond HDMI Cable 2m

1,289.00 to you Sir.  If you want a "quality" longer than this hdmi cable you can spend up to and over 7k.

Complete waste of money - digital works or it doesn't.

Q13

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 09:11:47 PM »
Complete waste of money

To be precise it is the cost of the lives of 51 children in Africa infected with malaria who could have otherwise avoided death with a 25 anti-mosquito tent/net each. I had one as a kid when I lived in Gib, draped over my bed.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:48:17 PM by Q13 »