Author Topic: Robin Williams suicide  (Read 728 times)

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
Re: Robin Williams suicide
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »
Whilst I won't be lining the street as his funeral car passes, I have to say I feel Robin Williams' death more than I ever did Diana's.

Could never understand the level of grief over Diana.
same here.
Robin Williams has had his troubles over the years & must have been ever so slightly bi-polar --- nobody could be on a manic high as he often seemed to be all the time --- think I assimilated some of his craziness into my own sense of humour by watching Mork & Mindy

Sir Rocis de Liver

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »
I'm a bit surprised that some people actually watched Mork and Mindy.
Still, shouldn't be, some people actually watch "Bewitched" (currently on Gold)

Lost World

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 01:19:27 PM »
If suicide - I hope there's no knock on effect where other people are encouraged to do the same. Sometimes its even members of the person's family. But he's a celeb so there are a lot of people it could influence to think on the same lines.

Unless you're in physical pain with a terminal illness or something, suicide is a very selfish act. There's always someone who cares who you're dumping on big time.

That's a very childish and over simplified way of looking at depression. I'll leave it at that.

DJ

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »
There is not much sense you can make about suicide, the only person I knew personally who committed suicide was an old school friend who was not confident about his looks and eventually took his own life after we left school, I only heard about it years later after returning home from Uni, I was pretty shocked, we were not close friends, but someones death that you know is really something shocking at a young age.

I was shocked and surprised about Williams, but cannot say upset over someone I have no connection with personally.

But suicide is a tricky subject, my girlfriend says she was in shock at the amount of suicides she see's in Hong Kong, people just find a tall building with roof top access.

In my hometown people tend to use the only tall building with access to jump from the multistorey car park.

But like I said motivation, selfishness? It is tricky, we are not in their shoes.

Alizarin

• Building a country that works or everyon
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 01:52:14 PM »
I'm a bit surprised that some people actually watched Mork and Mindy.
Still, shouldn't be, some people actually watch "Bewitched" (currently on Gold)

it was hugely popular in its day.  Too zany for me.  I've always thought of 'zany' as a good euphemism for 'not funny'.  Robin Williams made far too many zany films but he was good when he played the straight roles, IMO.

Lost World

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 02:48:05 PM »
There is not much sense you can make about suicide, the only person I knew personally who committed suicide was an old school friend who was not confident about his looks and eventually took his own life after we left school, I only heard about it years later after returning home from Uni, I was pretty shocked, we were not close friends, but someones death that you know is really something shocking at a young age.

I was shocked and surprised about Williams, but cannot say upset over someone I have no connection with personally.

But suicide is a tricky subject, my girlfriend says she was in shock at the amount of suicides she see's in Hong Kong, people just find a tall building with roof top access.

In my hometown people tend to use the only tall building with access to jump from the multistorey car park.

But like I said motivation, selfishness? It is tricky, we are not in their shoes.

If you believe you have no reason to live, one way or another you tend to die. Depression can be a terminal illness for some, but the individual does have to take control of the situation and also accept that in many cases there is no cure, there are just coping strategies, the effectiveness of which vary from person to person.

MadWorld

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 03:43:01 PM »
That's a very childish and over simplified way of looking at depression. I'll leave it at that.
Certainly so LW - but it is what stopped me after I got seriously ill and was told I could no longer work.

Sir Rocis de Liver

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 05:47:56 PM »
A person's life belongs to that person.
He or she, therefore, has the choice of what to do with it.
No one else's business.

Sally

• da boss
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »
A person's life belongs to that person.
He or she, therefore, has the choice of what to do with it.
No one else's business.
Having seen the horrendous impact it has on a person's family and friends I can't agree it's no-one else's business. It destroys more than the person committing suicide.

Je

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 06:37:41 PM »
http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2014/aug/12/robin-williams-suicide-and-depression-are-not-selfish?CMP=fb_gu

Thanks, I just left my comment there. I put

Leaving Robin Williams aside... and talking generally and about this article...

The article is rantish, intolerant, and makes absurd general assumptions about everyone of the different view. It is absurd to suggest all people who think there is selfishness in suicide disagree with those three other things - that depression is an illness, doesn’t discriminate and is not ‘logical'.'

The article is also ALL about the person who's killing themselves. None of its about the people and the pieces left behind. And that's exactly the same consideration that people of the opposite view are saying has been left out when people kill themselves.

Je

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 06:50:05 PM »
It was my sociology lecturer, in the lecture on suicide, who introduced me to the its selfish point of view. And of course its a sweeping generalisation and he wasn't talking about depressed people specifically but generally, as I was.

He was a bright mind. And speaking to a group who are a risk group for suicide... fresher students. And I could be wrong... but think he was giving out a good message to us... to think about something beyond yourself.

Sir Rocis de Liver

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 06:59:58 PM »
Having seen the horrendous impact it has on a person's family and friends I can't agree it's no-one else's business. It destroys more than the person committing suicide.

Perhaps no one else's business wasn't quite what I meant.
Of course the effect can be, and very often is, absolutely devastating.
But, ultimately, a person has the freedom to decide to end his/ her life.
It's his or hers.
No one else's

Lost World

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 07:34:10 PM »
Perhaps no one else's business wasn't quite what I meant.
Of course the effect can be, and very often is, absolutely devastating.
But, ultimately, a person has the freedom to decide to end his/ her life.
It's his or hers.
No one else's

I 50% agree. The decision to end ones life in the throws of depression is not really a choice because it's a decision made with a unsound mind. It's different to deciding to die because you're dying of a terminal illness anyway. It's nothing to do with the degree of physical pain. It's purely to do with being able to make a rational decision about the situation. Where end of life decisions are made for the terminally ill, it has to be sanctioned by someone who is sound of mind.

In the case of depression, the sufferer can in some cases be effectively 'mad' Actual depression - not a bout of the blues - can lead to paranoid delusions, hallucinations etc.

That said, I stand by my position that the condition is not selfish. It's not a lifestyle choice. You don't decide to top yourself despite the effect it has on others. The condition robs you of the ability to consider others.

Je

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 08:19:59 PM »