Author Topic: Empire Strikes Back - best movie of all time? According to Empire readers  (Read 1931 times)

Alizarin

• Brexshit means Brexshit
http://www.thewrap.com/star-wars-the-empire-strikes-back-voted-greatest-movie-of-all-time/

Really?  It's not that great.  The characterisation is juvenile as befits a sci-fi/fanasty aimed at a general audience but mostly kids, but on every level apart from fantasy sci-fi, it doesn't stand up.  Watching the C3PO character as an adult, it's just absurd high camp.  If C3PO dressed as Mae West and said "I'm free!" after singing "I am what I am", it would not increase the camp factor.

The plot is so-so and the ending is a real anti-climax.

Are Empire readers just like the movie version of comic book guy in The Simpsons?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:06:25 AM by Alizarin »

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
It's the best Star Wars film.

Which is not saying a lot anymore.

Alizarin

Titus

• Champion of the Sun, a master of karate
It's just a reflection of Empire readers than anything else. If the new Star Wars films weren't on the horizon, I doubt it would have one. Nostalgia

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
http://www.empireonline.com/301/list.asp?page=38

I was not trying to contradict you.

I was expressing my personal opinion.
Of course, I do not give a fuck who disagrees with me. Whether they read Empire, or whether they are Leonard Maltin or Barry Norman.
Its not the best film ever, no film is, as no film can perfectly satisfy every single element of what makes a film good.

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
Looking through the rest of that list, it is mostly ott special effect based, good examples of their genre.

I think it can be said that there are superior examples of film genre, but not of "Film".

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer

Asa

It's just a reflection of Empire readers than anything else. If the new Star Wars films weren't on the horizon, I doubt it would have one. Nostalgia

I agree, it's a poll of a very specific group. Empire has always had a place in the affections of a lot of movie goers of a particular age though, I'm not sure the new movies have changed that at all. That nostalgia has existed for a long time.

Asa

Its not the best film ever, no film is, as no film can perfectly satisfy every single element of what makes a film good.

Exactly, even on a personal level, most people's favourite film can vary from day to day. I could probably get it down to a top ten, but even then, to put them in any kind of permanent order would be difficult.

Natural Mystic

• hello
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes will be the best movie of 2014, can't wait to see it :)

Chewie

^ Agree, hunger is strong to see this. The pre release trailers look incredible.

Asa

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes will be the best movie of 2014, can't wait to see it :)

Yes, can't wait to see that, I loved the last one, watched it a lot of times already.

Alizarin

I was not trying to contradict you.

I was expressing my personal opinion.
Of course, I do not give a fuck who disagrees with me. Whether they read Empire, or whether they are Leonard Maltin or Barry Norman.

I didn't think you were.  I only posted the link for more information, not to call you a liar or anything.

It's certainly not the best film ever by a long way and IMO, it shows the immaturity of the Empire readership if they think it is.  It's all subjective, but I can't see how it trumps any other film in any department except "Best Sequel to Star Wars".  The acting, plot, sound track or even special effects don't trump other films.

Asa

I didn't think you were.  I only posted the link for more information, not to call you a liar or anything.

It's certainly not the best film ever by a long way and IMO, it shows the immaturity of the Empire readership if they think it is.  It's all subjective, but I can't see how it trumps any other film in any department except "Best Sequel to Star Wars".  The acting, plot, sound track or even special effects don't trump other films.

At the time the effects were up to par, and John Williams does a good job of the soundtrack. Looking back it hasn't aged that well, but it obviously has a place in people's affections still. I wouldn't put it down to an immaturity of the readership, more a sense of sentimentality.

Alizarin

At the time the effects were up to par, and John Williams does a good job of the soundtrack. Looking back it hasn't aged that well, but it obviously has a place in people's affections still. I wouldn't put it down to an immaturity of the readership, more a sense of sentimentality.

Of course, I'm just quite surprised that a sequel to a film that whether it was better or not, did introduce the whole thing, the battles, the characters and the look, which really set the standard for sci-fi fantasy for many years.  In a way the first one took the risks.  I've always been underwhelmed by the Empire Strikes Back, even as a kid. 

I think you're right, it is a case of sentimentality, but that to me is a bit like saying the best song ever written is Black Lace's "Agadoo" because you met the love of your life while dancing to it at a disco.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:12:40 PM by Alizarin »