Author Topic: Jerry Dammers to be honoured in South Africa for Free Nelson Mandela  (Read 706 times)

Alizarin

• Building a country that works or everyon
Man behind song that became an anti-apartheid anthem to receive award for outstanding work benefiting the country

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/24/jerry-dammers-honoured-south-africa-free-nelson-mandela

Clax

Re: Jerry Dammers to be honoured in South Africa for Free Nelson Mandela
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 08:54:21 AM »
Man behind song that became an anti-apartheid anthem to receive award for outstanding work benefiting the country

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/24/jerry-dammers-honoured-south-africa-free-nelson-mandela

Saw them live in Sheffield back in the eighties, great band. This song struck a chord back then and was released at exactly the right time as the anti-apartheid movement grew in the UK and worldwide.

Asa

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 02:13:09 PM »
Nice for Dammers to be honoured in this way. So many of these types of honours are trivial or undeserved.

Alizarin

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 01:20:54 AM »
Jerry Dammers is my musical hero.  The Specials were the stand out band of the Two Tone ilk musically and lyrically.  I was (too much) too young to see them live before they split. The honour is well deserved.  I don't know if he'd accept it or not, but wtf offer a bauble to a twat like Gary Barlow for sucking up to royalty in the most nauseating manner and not Jerry Dammers for really making the world a better place!

Alizarin

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 01:21:41 AM »
Saw them live in Sheffield back in the eighties, great band. This song struck a chord back then and was released at exactly the right time as the anti-apartheid movement grew in the UK and worldwide.

Very envious!

Asa

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 09:23:32 AM »

I saw them at Glastonbury a few years when they reformed, without Dammers though. They were great, real party atmosphere down the front.

MattW

• Debt free
Kudos Jerry!  :clap:

I was (too much) too young to see them live before they split.

;D

Nite Klub is my favourite Specials tune. Gangsters is really good too.  :)