Author Topic: Liam Gallagher calls on fans to boycott reissue of Definitely Maybe  (Read 1096 times)

Alizarin

• Building a country that works or everyon
Oasis’ former frontman tells his Twitter followers ‘don’t buy into it,’ following news of the 1994 album’s 20th anniversary release

Liam Gallagher has called on Oasis fans to boycott the 20th anniversary reissue of Definitely Maybe.

“HOW CAN YOU REMASTER SOMETHING THATS ALREADY [BEEN] MASTERED,” he tweeted late on Friday night. “DONT BUY INTO IT. LET IT BE.”

Announced last week, the Definitely Maybe reissue is due to be released on 19 May. In addition to a re-mastered edition of the 1994 album, the deluxe packages will include practice recordings, live and acoustic versions, as well as a replica of the band’s original demo cassette. It is allegedly the first in a series of reissues, with new editions of What’s The Story (Morning Glory)? and Be Here Now to be released later in the year.

On Twitter, Gallagher seemed to be mocking the retrospective tone of the Oasis reissues’ promo campaign. “THE OASIS YEARS,” he wrote. “THEY FORGOT TO MENTION BONEHEAD USED TO STICK FIG ROLLS UP HIS ARSE HA HA X.” But some fans have also interpreted his messages as an indication that Gallagher might reclaim the Oasis name for his group Beady Eye. In his most baffling tweet, Gallagher wrote: “IT’LL BE ME AS IN LG THAT THROWS IN THE TOWEL NOT SOME ROADIE FROM THE 80s”. According to these conspiracy-minded fans, Gallagher is claiming that his brother Noel, a former roadie for Inspiral Carpets, had no right to dissolve Oasis.

Happy to oblige.  Still, a plea that's surplus to requirements where Beady Eye are concerned!

Lost World

Re: Liam Gallagher calls on fans to boycott reissue of Definitely Maybe
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 11:01:55 AM »
LG has always been a complete cock and lousy singer. Oasis overall were fairly ediocore too, and I think Noel eventually figured that out. when asked about the release of a new Oasis single about 4 (?) years ago, he was asked to describe it. He said to the DJ "It's the same as the last 13 singles"

I did buy the first couple of albums when they came out and enjoyed them for a year or so, but I think it was a sign of the times that Oasis, back in the day, were afforded the same kind of adoration in the media as Led Zeppelin were in the 70's. Regardless of ones personal taste in music, on an actual musical level Oasis were demonstrably nothing special; same as the Stones in that respect.

That said the re-issue/re-master culture is pretty annoying and cynical, so I agree with LG on that.

Alizarin

• Building a country that works or everyon
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 01:02:16 AM »
Quite agree LW.  My comment of the time was that Oasis weren't the best band on Creation, that being Primal Scream.

However, Definitely Maybe is a great album and What's the Story Morning Glory a very good album.  The absurd reverence that Noel and Liam attached to the Beatles was tedious and a musical straight jacket.  They well deserved their tag as an arse kissing Beatles tribute act.  Over the years Blur pissed all over Oasis in creativity.  More a case of creative, smart boys over thick boys rather than snooty middle class boys over honest working class boys.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:09:53 AM by Alizarin »

Asa

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:23:14 AM »
Quite agree LW.  My comment of the time was that Oasis weren't the best band on Creation, that being Primal Scream.

Oasis weren't even the 2nd best band on Creation, I'd put The Super Furry Animals above them too. I was a fan though, saw them at Earls court and Glastonbury.

However, Definitely Maybe is a great album and What's the Story Morning Glory a very good album.  The absurd reverence that Noel and Liam attached to the Beatles was tedious and a musical straight jacket.  They well deserved their tag as an arse kissing Beatles tribute act.  Over the years Blur pissed all over Oasis in creativity.  More a case of creative, smart boys over thick boys rather than snooty middle class boys over honest working class boys.

Agreed, I was a Blur fan as well, and they're definitely the more original and creative of the 2 bands.

Asa

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:25:35 AM »
That said the re-issue/re-master culture is pretty annoying and cynical, so I agree with LG on that.

True, but I think I may still download the remastered version just to see how different it is from a production point of view to see if it was really necessary. I thought the first album was pretty well produced to start with though so I can't see what improvements could be made.

Lost World

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 12:50:42 PM »
True, but I think I may still download the remastered version just to see how different it is from a production point of view to see if it was really necessary. I thought the first album was pretty well produced to start with though so I can't see what improvements could be made.

That's my issue with the remaster/re-issue market. It's often the case that there is no discernable improvement in sound, or at best a negligable difference which may only be of interest to die hard collectors and utter fanatics with Aspergers syndrome  ;) Sometimes the re-master is far worse than the original. Definitely Maybe had good production to start with, and quite suitable production for the music.

Many progressive rock bands from the 70's have waves of re-issues which really get on my tits. I'm a big - ahem! - Genesis fan (I guess someones got to be) and they must have re-mastered all of their albums at least 3 times. I've been on forums where people are wanking themselves silly over the next re-issue of whatever album by them, and I'm not just talking about geezers in their 50's but high school kids who have to have everything the band has ever done in every bloody format, and just don't understand why a 'true fan' wouldn't want the same.

Asa

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 02:44:18 PM »
That's my issue with the remaster/re-issue market. It's often the case that there is no discernable improvement in sound, or at best a negligable difference which may only be of interest to die hard collectors and utter fanatics with Aspergers syndrome  ;) Sometimes the re-master is far worse than the original. Definitely Maybe had good production to start with, and quite suitable production for the music.

Part of the problem with remasters is that they're still working with the original master track or at best the individual parts of each track, so if the recording to start with is not great, there's not much they can really do to improve on it. I don't think this is the case with Definitely Maybe. Technology has moved on and there are certain things they can do, but as you say, with negligible difference.

Many progressive rock bands from the 70's have waves of re-issues which really get on my tits. I'm a big - ahem! - Genesis fan (I guess someones got to be) and they must have re-mastered all of their albums at least 3 times. I've been on forums where people are wanking themselves silly over the next re-issue of whatever album by them, and I'm not just talking about geezers in their 50's but high school kids who have to have everything the band has ever done in every bloody format, and just don't understand why a 'true fan' wouldn't want the same.

Pink Floyd are another who've had multiple re-releases of their albums. I'm a bit of a completist with some bands, but only to the extent I'd like to hear everything a band has done, but not that I want to own every single released version of every song.

Lost World

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 05:01:11 PM »
Part of the problem with remasters is that they're still working with the original master track or at best the individual parts of each track, so if the recording to start with is not great, there's not much they can really do to improve on it. I don't think this is the case with Definitely Maybe. Technology has moved on and there are certain things they can do, but as you say, with negligible difference.

Pink Floyd are another who've had multiple re-releases of their albums. I'm a bit of a completist with some bands, but only to the extent I'd like to hear everything a band has done, but not that I want to own every single released version of every song.

Exactly. I have all the Floyd albums, but beyond replacing my vinyl with the CD I don't need multiple CD's of the same album.