Author Topic: The inevitable football thread.  (Read 64358 times)

bababarararacucucudadada

Re: The inevitable football thread.
« Reply #870 on: May 06, 2017, 04:19:16 AM »
Its 4:13 am. I have just showered and shaved and am basically ready to go to Grimsby to watch Argyle play. It's as near a 700 mile round trip (not far off the longest trip possible in English football and much further than most other teams will ever have to travel) as makes no difference and will involve many hours of motorway boredom.

Why am I doing this? Argyle, if we win, will be Champions of Div 2. I've been supporting them all my life and this will be only the 3rd trophy we have won in all that time.

If we don't win then we could be pipped to the title by either Doncaster or Portsmouth depending on how they get on.

It's a 5:30 kick-off (thanks Sky; thanks Rupert; thanks FL fixture computer) so think of me shortly after 7:15 pm. I'll either be going batshit mental in celebration or miserable beyond belief.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:21:22 AM by bababarararacucucudadada »

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #871 on: May 06, 2017, 10:43:37 PM »
A draw :( does that mean a rematch or are we not at the top :( ?

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #872 on: May 07, 2017, 03:55:52 AM »
A day of no little drama and shed loads of emotion.

Grimsby scored after 42 seconds. We equalised with about half an hour to go. It ended all square.

Doncaster lost to Hartlepool meaning we finished above them. Hartlepool needed to win to avoid relegation from the league and then hope for the best. In the last minute Newport scored a winner in their match to send Hartlepool down - and save themselves.

Portsmouth walloped Cheltenham 6-1. They had the best goal difference already so the 6-1 didn't matter but the win did. Pompey drew level with us on points but beat us on goal difference to be Champions.

No title for us and we end up as runners-up.

Peak Argyle really - even in a moment of glory we fuck it up.

Very bitter-sweet.

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #873 on: May 07, 2017, 05:19:01 AM »
Thanks Barbar. Pompey, league champions  :thwack:

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #874 on: May 07, 2017, 05:44:39 PM »
Aye.

Thing is I can't find it in myself to do anything other than congratulate them. Over the whole season, and the last one too, they have been a far better team to watch than Argyle. They have built their title on outscoring their opponents and we built our near miss by stifling them. Both approaches are fair and square but one is football as it is meant to be played and the other anti-football.

At the end of 46 matches to say anything other than the best team won is plain daft and that was Portsmouth who despite being unable to beat us on the pitch for 3 years because they have out-performed us in terms of both goals scored and goal difference.

That said if we had scored just one more goal at Grimsby...

Still that's that. Pompey won. Well played Pompey. You deserved it and have my congratulations. Bastards.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #876 on: May 11, 2017, 04:23:45 PM »
Nice bit of penalty mayhem here.

http://bit.ly/2pDb73u

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #879 on: May 30, 2017, 12:33:44 AM »
Don't normally watch football but I watched he FA cup...what a final it was :)

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #880 on: May 30, 2017, 01:19:46 AM »
I have to agree with you.

It just goes to show what can be done when mi££ions and mi££ions are spent on a team (or in this case on 2 teams). High quality players, drilled by high quality coaching, refereed excellently produced a high quality game.

I have watched live football week-in week-out for more years than I care to count but that game was exceptional. Both teams had players who had the vision, wit, skill, bravery and fitness (and the support of a competent referee) to find space where there was none to be had for normal mortals.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Arsenal were sensational in every aspect of the game bar actually sticking it in the net. They deservedly won but it was close and they should have buried Chelsea.

Talking of whom: Victor Moses! What a complete tosser. If I was Chelsea's manager he'd be down the road by now. In fact I'd've had his P45 waiting for him before he reached the dressing room. Sent off for diving in a cup final? Un-for-give-able. I'd want far more professionalism and reliability for my £100k/week than that.