Author Topic: The inevitable football thread.  (Read 64735 times)

Carnelian

Re: The inevitable football thread.
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 02:20:54 PM »
WTF kind of away kit is that, Everton?

Didn't anyone tell them what their sponsors name means? :D

Can they accessorise it with a matching handbag and shoes?

Titus

• Champion of the Sun, a master of karate
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 09:38:28 PM »

TheSingularity

• A Misanthropical Breed
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »
Chanted at Wayne Rooney by Everton fans was apparently:

'No Woman - No Kai'.

Chewie

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 11:22:44 AM »

incognito

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 10:40:38 PM »
"Wenger to face Misconduct Charges".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/9017473.stm

Wenger said: "I complain to nobody".

The man's a denier, to say nothing of being an egocentric manipulator of the media.

It can surely be only a matter of time before the men in white coats turn up at the Emirates to take him away for his own good.

He is becoming more and more paranaoid and it would be in everyone's interest if he was carted off before he makes a bigger fool of himself.

The Arsenal faithfull are still under his spell, but it only needs a reversal of footballing fortune, which will come, and they might then remember all the rage and outpourings that does no credit to the Club.

Forked Tongue

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 11:03:37 PM »
It is at such a time as this I think that Lord A is a bit missed ::)

incognito

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 11:05:53 PM »
It is at such a time as this I think that Lord A is a bit missed ::)

Indeed.  Quite aggravating.    >:(

Forked Tongue

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 11:15:18 PM »
 ;D

I'd try to take you apart re the God Wenger but I could not do the subject justice :)

Titus

• Champion of the Sun, a master of karate
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 01:31:28 PM »
Talking about Arsenal, this article made me ..... despair?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11380291

"In five to 10 years' time we are going to have to ask: 'Where are we going to go to grow our business?'."

Says it all really. How to grow our business, expand our brand, sell the product to China, India, the US . . . . no doubt this includes more mid-season friendlies to far flung corners of the world. I do hate this globalisation of football

PS Not just Arsenal of course, but the entire PL

incognito

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2010, 05:11:19 PM »
Arsenal: 2  West Brom: 3.     ;D

I wonder what the excuse will be this time:  Ref blew whistle too soon?  Ref against Arsenal? West Brom played dirty?  West Brom played wrong type of football?

We'll soon find out.

Forked Tongue

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2010, 11:56:59 PM »
Did your prediction turn out to be accurate?

I did not hear Wenger say anything like that. ;D
After the first five minutes it was all flat," said Wenger.

"It is unusual for us. We are a team who has energy. It was not there.

"What is most frustrating was there was no electricity. We had lost the generator. And then it becomes difficult to play football.

"It is mysterious what happened. It is difficult to explain. We will never forget it but we play on Tuesday night. So, of course, we have to analyse what happened. This is very difficult to understand."

But Wenger refused to blame goalkeeper Manuel Almunia who allowed Jara's shot to bounce off his arms and into the net in the 52nd minute.

His error came after his first half penalty save that saw him keep out Chris Brunt's effort.

"What happened today people will say was because of Almunia," added Wenger.

"But it was 0-0 at half-time because of Almunia. So, I believe, individually, defensively, everyone made mistakes."

and this was what an ex Gooner now playing for WBA had to say..........

"You can't put a price on the education I got at Arsenal which is why you can never be bitter when it's time to move on."

incognito

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2010, 06:06:15 PM »
Did your prediction turn out to be accurate?

I did not hear Wenger say anything like that. ;D

and this was what an ex Gooner now playing for WBA had to say..........

No, you're quite right. Wenger was unusually restrained in his after match comments, but there's still time.  He hasn't held his midweek mediafest yet, or written his notes for next week's programme.   ;D

Actually, even Wenger couldn't criticise the referee, who was described in the Telegraph as having a quietly good match. Nor could he really have a go at WBA who had less cards than Arsenal.

One thing he deserves credit for is not blaming his goalkeeper in public. But Wenger recruited him, so if anyone's to blame its himself. He's quick to boast about his wonderful signings, but on this occasion, unless Alumnia bucks up, he's made a boo boo.

Interesting comments from Alan Hansen in today's Telegraph:

"... you have to wonder whether everybody at Arsenal, from the manager through to the players and the fans, has become stubbornly set in their ways over the team's style of play".

"I also think that Arsenal have a squad that is top-heavy with foreign players and that is an issue that is preventing them forging the kind of team spirit that you saw in Manchester City's win against Chelsea".

We just have to hope that Wenger doesn' take the Telegraph.

Chewie

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2010, 07:16:56 PM »
Wenger was unusually restrained in his after match comments, but there's still time.  He hasn't held his midweek mediafest yet, or written his notes for next week's programme.

:D ;D

Forked Tongue

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2010, 12:31:26 PM »
you have to worry about Hanson and his weird analyses, don't you?
"I also think that Arsenal have a squad that is top-heavy with foreign players and that is an issue that is preventing them forging the kind of team spirit that you saw in Manchester City's win against Chelsea".

Does the foreigner Hanson think that large numbers of foreign players inhibit great team spirit?

And thinks to back up this theory he can cite the current Man City side? Erm? How?

Why not  cite the great Liverpool side of which he was a foreign part  ::) ;D which won the European Cup against Roma which only had 3 out of the 13 players (inc subs) who were ENGLISH  in the side.

Team

Grobbelaar, Neal, Lawrenson, Hansen, A.Kennedy, Lee, Johnston (Nicol), Whelan, Souness (capt), Rush, Dalglish (Robinson)

He does have daft ideas..................

incognito

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2010, 03:32:37 PM »
you have to worry about Hanson and his weird analyses, don't you?

Does the foreigner Hanson think that large numbers of foreign players inhibit great team spirit?

And thinks to back up this theory he can cite the current Man City side? Erm? How?

Why not  cite the great Liverpool side of which he was a foreign part  ::) ;D which won the European Cup against Roma which only had 3 out of the 13 players (inc subs) who were ENGLISH  in the side.

Team

Grobbelaar, Neal, Lawrenson, Hansen, A.Kennedy, Lee, Johnston (Nicol), Whelan, Souness (capt), Rush, Dalglish (Robinson)

He does have daft ideas..................

Well I suppose you could call Hansen 'foreign' because he was born in Scotland, but I think as far as football in Britain is concened you would normally regard as 'foreign' someone who was born and brought up outside the UK, or the British Isles even.

Certainly Hansen's point was about a lack of a common language and heritage which made it more difficult for them to blend together.

I'm not even suggesting he's right about that, but that was the point he was making.

I did wonder how much different Arsenal are from Man City, though, and many other Premiership sides in that respect.