Author Topic: Huge protests resume in Egypt.  (Read 27546 times)

Nick49

Huge protests resume in Egypt.
« on: June 30, 2013, 12:38:19 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23115821

Protests calling for the resignation of Egypt's President Mohammed Morsi and early presidential elections have kicked off in the capital, Cairo, and around the country.

His opponents say he has failed to tackle economic and security problems.

Thousands spent the night in Cairo's Tahrir Square, focus of protests which brought down ex-leader Hosni Mubarak.

The protests come on the first anniversary of Mr Morsi's election as the country's first Islamist president.

Morsi critics also say he has put the Islamist agenda of the Muslim Brotherhood party ahead of the country's wider interests.

In Cairo, the anti-Morsi supporters are chanting: "Irhal! Irhal!" ("Leave! Leave!"), reports the BBC's Aleem Maqbool.

Lost World

Re: Huge protests resume in Egypt.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 01:09:07 PM »
All sorted there then.

Come back Mubarak, all is forgiven? No one's perfect.

Nick49

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »
All sorted there then.

Come back Mubarak, all is forgiven? No one's perfect.

I don't think they want Mubarak back - more like the Muslim Brotherhood isn't giving people what they want either.  :)

Lost World

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »
I don't think they want Mubarak back - more like the Muslim Brotherhood isn't giving people what they want either.  :)

Now there's a surprise!  :ROFL: Because of course, an Islamic government was always going to put economic reform first wasn't it.

I remember the debates on here when the revolution first kicked off and some were saying firstly, the Muslim Brotherhood wouldn't win an election anyway, because Egyptians wanted Big Macs and democracy, and when they did get in, there was a definite sense of "There's nothing to see here. Move along"

Nick49

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 03:47:24 PM »
Now there's a surprise!  :ROFL: Because of course, an Islamic government was always going to put economic reform first wasn't it.

I remember the debates on here when the revolution first kicked off and some were saying firstly, the Muslim Brotherhood wouldn't win an election anyway, because Egyptians wanted Big Macs and democracy, and when they did get in, there was a definite sense of "There's nothing to see here. Move along"

I initially felt the impact of the Muslim brotherhood on the protests /  revolution / military coup (  ;) ) that removed Mubarak was not central. I said so here - however they won the election (which did surprise me - though the mass of protestors (just like Brazil or Occupy) do not identify with a particular political party). Now we are seeing the dissatisfaction with the new government burst out in new mass protests. Surely a good thing!!

plandalet

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 04:39:49 PM »
I initially felt the impact of the Muslim brotherhood on the protests /  revolution / military coup (  ;) ) that removed Mubarak was not central. I said so here - however they won the election (which did surprise me - though the mass of protestors (just like Brazil or Occupy) do not identify with a particular political party). Now we are seeing the dissatisfaction with the new government burst out in new mass protests. Surely a good thing!!

The reason they won the election is that they're organized and unified. The rest of the opposition was and is a mess.

Nick49

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 11:11:28 PM »
The reason they won the election is that they're organized and unified. The rest of the opposition was and is a mess.

Yeah that's what I was alluding to when I said the "mass of protestors  do not identify with a particular political party". However, this can also be a strength, and the size of the protests certainly pays testament to that. These are the first opening shots in a global revolution. The beginning of the end for capitalism.... but it's a process that may well take hundreds of years of transition. Sometimes moving forward and sometimes back. We can say, though, that capitalism is not sustainable. At this stage (unlike Brazil) I do not believe the protests in Egypt to be "anti capitalist", but the struggle for freedom and democracy goes hand in hand with the struggle for a fairer economic model - and it's only a matter of time before the political and economic tenets of struggle become amalgamated.

PFF

• What do you reckon?
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 06:33:36 AM »
At least seven people have been killed in Egypt and more than 600 wounded in clashes between supporters and opponents of President Mohamed Morsi.

Five of the dead were shot in towns south of Cairo, one each in Beni Suef and Fayoum and three others in Assiut.

http://news.sky.com/story/1109945/egypt-seven-killed-as-protests-turn-violent

One way or another, it looks like change is coming to Egypt. If the Islamists are successful, I imagine they'd crack down even harder. It seems however, that after a year, the people are regretting their decision to vote that way.

A salient lesson.

Sir Rocis de Liver

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 08:15:36 AM »
Isn't it the same elsewhere?
The educated, urban, privileged versus the older, uneducated, conservative poor?
As in Iran and Turkey.
Backwardness versus the 21st Century?
I like the grandiose way in which an above poster translates this into the start of the overthrow of capitalism.
Societies change over time.
Incredible insight!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:30:21 PM by Sir Rocis de Liver »

plandalet

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 09:00:30 AM »
At least seven people have been killed in Egypt and more than 600 wounded in clashes between supporters and opponents of President Mohamed Morsi.

Five of the dead were shot in towns south of Cairo, one each in Beni Suef and Fayoum and three others in Assiut.

http://news.sky.com/story/1109945/egypt-seven-killed-as-protests-turn-violent

One way or another, it looks like change is coming to Egypt. If the Islamists are successful, I imagine they'd crack down even harder. It seems however, that after a year, the people are regretting their decision to vote that way.

A salient lesson.

A salient lesson in what? That authoritarian dictatorship is preferable to taking your destiny in your own
hands no matter how many mistakes are made and how painful the process turns out to be?

plandalet

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 09:01:52 AM »
Isn't it the same elsewhere?
The educated, urban, privileged versus the older, conservative poor?
As in Iran and Turkey.
Backwardness versus the 21st Century?
I like the grandiose way in which an above poster translates this into the start of the overthrow of capitalism.
Societies change over time.
Incredible insight!

Backwardness versus the 21st century? What on earth makes you think that's the case especially when the
"backwardness" is organized and disciplined and the so-called progressives feckless and incompetent?

Titus

• Champion of the Sun, a master of karate
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 09:17:58 AM »
It sounds like mob-rule Vs democracy. Morsi is the legitimate president, and I don't see what he has done to warrant the attempted overthrow? " failing to tackle economic and security problems" sounds like internal politics to me, the opposition should deal with that at the ballot box, not on the streets

PFF

• What do you reckon?
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 09:31:48 AM »
It sounds like mob-rule Vs democracy. Morsi is the legitimate president, and I don't see what he has done to warrant the attempted overthrow? " failing to tackle economic and security problems" sounds like internal politics to me, the opposition should deal with that at the ballot box, not on the streets

Well of course WE don't know what he's done to deserve it, we're not in Egypt. Point is the change Egypt wanted a year ago, it now wants to undo. That should tell you everything you need to know about Morsi's year in office. I'm guess it wasn't much fun.

If he crushes this rebellion, he will tighten his grip on the people, and I imagine things will get worse. If the rebels come out on top, well I don't know if they've got someone in mind yet to take over have they? So the end result of that is unknown (at least to me) at this present time.

Be careful what you wish for.

Titus

• Champion of the Sun, a master of karate
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 09:39:46 AM »
Well of course WE don't know what he's done to deserve it, we're not in Egypt.

I don't have to personally be there to know what's happening, that's the beauty of the having a free press/media with foreign correspondents

Point is the change Egypt wanted a year ago, it now wants to undo.

Indeed, it had democracy, now it wants mob-rule?

That should tell you everything you need to know about Morsi's year in office. I'm guess it wasn't much fun.

If he crushes this rebellion, he will tighten his grip on the people, and I imagine things will get worse. If the rebels come out on top, well I don't know if they've got someone in mind yet to take over have they? So the end result of that is unknown (at least to me) at this present time.

I'd prefer to call them the opposition . . . and it sounds like they are no more than political opponents - it's like left-wingers taking to the streets of London to depose the democractically elected Coalition

PFF

• What do you reckon?
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 09:58:23 AM »
I don't have to personally be there to know what's happening, that's the beauty of the having a free press/media with foreign correspondents

Indeed, it had democracy, now it wants mob-rule?

I'd prefer to call them the opposition . . . and it sounds like they are no more than political opponents - it's like left-wingers taking to the streets of London to depose the democractically elected Coalition

So you want islamo-fascism in Egypt? Why?