Author Topic: F1  (Read 16159 times)

Titus

• Champion of the Sun, a master of karate
Re: F1
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2012, 04:13:50 PM »
far more coverage I think ... what's really going to attract an audience beyond race, half hour build up to race, 15mins after race + qualifying I'm not sure .... but probably advertising smothered promotional material will be present on sky f1 along with dull & boring extended interviews with drivers

Indeed. I don't think more coverage necessarily = better coverage. They'll probably show the practice sessions live, but who is really interested in that? The races will be shown advert free apparently

Titus

« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2012, 04:22:11 PM »
Nothing drives me more batty on TV than endless speculation beforehand and disection afterwards.

But then again, the F1 people are quite knowledgeable and not as vomit-enducing as say, Adrian Chiles, but that is football.

I do enjoy the race buildup, and discetion after the races, but only up to a point. If it goes on too long, it can get annoying. I personally think the BBC had the balance right - an hour or so before the race to catch people up on what's happened in the two weeks between races, and then a half-hour to hour analysis.

What I assume SkyF1 will be doing, is having a prev-race analysis, next-race build up show mid week . . . I doubt I could stomach that amount pointless talking tbh

trollspeil

• Fuck The Coalition
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2012, 10:40:22 PM »
How so?

Better sound (Dolby 5.1) Choice of cameras to view including  in car and pit lane...  and of course no ads

Titus

« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2012, 12:07:45 PM »
Better sound (Dolby 5.1) Choice of cameras to view including  in car and pit lane...  and of course no ads

The beeb had ads?  :hmmm: Internal ads perhaps, but SkyF1 will be promoting ManU V Bolton or some such as well . .

The other two are quite gimicky to me - sound is but a minor and I doubt many people will wacth in-car or pit lane for very long . . . most will stick to the directors cut

TheSingularity

• A Misanthropical Breed
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2012, 03:07:21 PM »
What I like about F1:

Qualifying.
Brundle's pit lane stroll.
In-car fastest qualifying lap.
Certain races.
Podium.
Press conference.

Pit lane camera's might be amusing if you get another 'Dinez in the oven' event.

trollspeil

• Fuck The Coalition
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:39 PM »
The beeb had ads?  :hmmm: Internal ads perhaps, but SkyF1 will be promoting ManU V Bolton or some such as well . .

The other two are quite gimicky to me - sound is but a minor and I doubt many people will wacth in-car or pit lane for very long . . . most will stick to the directors cut

I didn't say the beeb had ads. I meant the usual argument for commercial networks doesn't apply here. The races will all be shown uninterrupted.

Sound would only be minor if you didn't have home theatre.

At least the option to view differently is there. You are stuck with what the beeb want to show you.

Sky F1 will be showing all the races whereas the bbc will only have extended highlights of the half they don't have.

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2012, 10:54:35 PM »
quite happy not to see Brundle again ... was getting a bit annoying ... never watched any sports with volume turned up beyond norm, what's home theatre?

Titus

« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2012, 11:16:40 PM »
I didn't say the beeb had ads. I meant the usual argument for commercial networks doesn't apply here. The races will all be shown uninterrupted.

Sound would only be minor if you didn't have home theatre.

At least the option to view differently is there. You are stuck with what the beeb want to show you.

Sky F1 will be showing all the races whereas the bbc will only have extended highlights of the half they don't have.

Meh, I was really asking why Sky's coverage would be better than the Beeb's last year - enough to justify the change in channel. Sound and (what I would call) gimicky camera options, isn't that at all . . . for me anyway (and I 'd suspect 90% of fans)

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2012, 10:30:14 PM »
not quite -- bbc are showing all races in full just not all live --- these "extended highlights" have been extended  ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:39:41 PM by barky »

trollspeil

• Fuck The Coalition
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2012, 11:43:08 PM »
not quite -- bbc are showing all races in full just not all live --- these "extended highlights" have been extended  ;)

Not according to the BBC. They are only showing extended highlights.

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2012, 10:34:24 AM »
Not according to the BBC. They are only showing extended highlights.
have seen both races so far in full on bbc, only bits noticeably chopped to any degree were the podium (which you don't need footage to know what happens) & the after race 3 drivers in a row interviews (which are boring & you can get quotes of them from elsewhere with extreme ease)

TheSingularity

• A Misanthropical Breed
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »
Nice to see a bit of a spat so early between Vettel and Karthikeyan.

Not so nice to see the 'we love Bahrain' propaganda being pumped out.  But then again that uprising as been quashed by the West, so not entirely unexpected.

TheSingularity

• A Misanthropical Breed
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2012, 12:17:58 PM »
So yester Bernie said he reckoned Bahrain would go ahead - and the Jackie Stewart came up with some crap shoot about how it should too.

The Damon Hill said it shouldn't and now the BBC is reporting thatF1 teams expect Bahrain Grand Prix to be called off

Farce again.

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2012, 07:33:35 PM »
would seem McLaren have fucked up AGAIN with mr Hamilton's car and not given him enough fuel to get back to pits & get car scrutineered with 1 litre still in tank .... demoted from pole to last -- which IMO is a bit harsh ... but as McLaren have done same before with Hamilton's car they must have decided to hammer home the rules?  :finger:

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2012, 11:04:36 PM »
would seem McLaren have fucked up AGAIN with mr Hamilton's car and not given him enough fuel to get back to pits & get car scrutineered with 1 litre still in tank .... demoted from pole to last -- which IMO is a bit harsh ... but as McLaren have done same before with Hamilton's car they must have decided to hammer home the rules?  :finger:
With Hamilton half a second faster than anyone else, it should provide some drama as he makes his way from the back.