Author Topic: Marco Simoncelli dies in MotoGP crash  (Read 1528 times)

oake

• 6f616b65
Marco Simoncelli dies in MotoGP crash
« on: October 23, 2011, 12:45:34 PM »
The 24-year-old Italian, who rode for Gresini Honda, lost control of his bike and was hit by Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi, who had been travelling a short distance behind him.

Race organisers immediately waved the red flag and, as soon as the severity of the rider's injuries became clear, the event was cancelled after only two laps.

Fears were heightened as replays instantly showed Simoncelli's helmet was removed as a result of the impact from Edwards, who was flung across the circuit.

Simoncelli lay motionless in the centre of the track, where he had been hit by the other bikes.

The Italian was taken to the circuit's medical centre for treatment but doctors could do nothing to combat the serious injuries sustained in the collision and he was pronounced dead.

World champion Casey Stoner said: 'As soon as I saw the footage, it just makes you sick inside. Whenever the helmet comes off that's not a good sign.'

A short statement posted on the MotoGP website read: 'Marco Simoncelli succumbed to injuries sustained in Malaysia.'

Simoncelli debuted in the sport in 2010 and recorded several promising results this season, finishing third in the Czech Republic and second in Australia.

R I P

Lucifer

• I didn't do it
Re: Marco Simoncelli dies in MotoGP crash
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 02:27:31 PM »
RIP. He was well known as a crasher and always entertaining to watch. He will be missed.

Looks like he had come off and was hanging onto the side of the bike, when Edwards and Rossi round the corner.

You see his crash helmet come off and go spinning along next to his bike. Like Stoner said, the helmet coming off is never going to be good news. It would take a lot of force to make a crash helmet come off.

Marco Simoncelli Crash in Sepang Malaysia 2011 R I P

Rossi must be devastated, he was friends with Simoncelli and was one of the ones that hit him.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 02:30:33 PM by God »

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 03:21:17 PM »
glad to see someone else posted about this sad event, Simoncelli was quite a character...  I had tagged it onto the F1 thread (for some reason) before 11am today  ..... could be enough to make rossi quit MotoGP
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:25:06 PM by barky »

Sally

• da boss
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 08:43:19 PM »
A horrible accident to watch. I really feel for the two riders who hit him. They had no chance to avoid him. And that helmet coming off, just made my blood run cold.
RIP

wotan

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 08:30:12 PM »
Marco was an entertaining and charismatic character on and off the track, in a sport were most of the riders are pretty dull and boring, he will be missed.

Lucifer

• I didn't do it
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 11:48:13 PM »
From the reverse angle, it looks like Rossi's bike may have delivered the fatal blow. Apparently you could see tyre marks on his neck.

There were reports that Rossi was crying and Edwards had to be sedated. It wouldn't be surprising if one or both of them chose this time to retire.

Sally

• da boss
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 06:54:26 AM »
Edwards had a dislocated shoulder amongst other things so sedation wasn't surprising. Even so I expect they are both totally traumatised by this. It is the sort of thing that could well see them finish.

Charles Martel

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 09:17:47 AM »
A great talent & a sad loss. RIP

MattW

• Debt free
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 10:38:43 AM »
RIP :(