Author Topic: AV - yes or no? Updated 4 May so vote again please!  (Read 38796 times)

beecher

AV - yes or no? Updated 4 May so vote again please!
« on: March 16, 2011, 02:54:22 PM »
I want PR at Westminster (the only time I ever vote using FPTP is at Westminster)but AV doesn't look like a very good system. Am unsure whether to vote yes and see it as a stepping stone, or vote no and perhaps see the issue kicked into the long grass. I probably wouldn't vote at all if it wasn't for it being on the same day as the Scottish Elections.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:20:28 PM by beecher »

incognito

Re: AV - yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 03:10:56 PM »
Miliband recommends voting AV.

Mine will be a 'No' then.

plandalet

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:34:16 PM »

So playing the man and not the ball so to speak then?

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 04:05:37 PM »
would vote yes, slightly better than current westminster system so a step in right direction -- even if its not a big enough one for my liking

Outernational

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »
So playing the man and not the ball so to speak then?

Obviously he's such a fool that he'd vote "yes" if Milliband was going to vote "no".

:doh:

He hasn't even bothered to vote "no" in this poll!

Outernational

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 04:20:30 PM »
At the moment I'm a don't know.

Like Barky I think it's a small step in the right directions to making this country a true democracy but on the other hand a big "no" vote would put huge pressure on the LibDems and might start or seal the downfall of the Coalition.

So I'll wait until voting day and see which way the wind is blowing.

Carnelian

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 04:40:31 PM »
Haven't made my mind up. 

My head tells me yes, my heart tells me no.

Yes: The Tories will be hit the hardest and will be less likely to be able to form governments, which can only be better for the nation  :)

No: Clegg gets a kick in and this puts such a strain on the coalition that it falls in bitter acrimony  :D

I'm more likely to vote 'no' than 'yes' at the moment.

Carnelian

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 04:41:55 PM »

If Miliband told you not to put your hand in a fire, would you?  :D

beecher

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 05:18:38 PM »
At the moment I'm more likely to vote yes, but not even sure enough to vote in my own poll....
Turn out will be pretty low I think

Sampanviking

• Contractual Obligation Member
    • New Century China Institute for Global Strategy
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »
Does anyone else find it somewhat ironic that the AV question will be settled by a FPTP vote?

incognito

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 06:18:08 PM »
If Miliband told you not to put your hand in a fire, would you?  :D

Probably.

I can't stand him and his type.  He's not genuine in my opinion. Nothing more than a career politician of limited experience outside left wing politics, and a product of the wealthy North London left/liberal establishment. He'll say anything to suit, whether he believes in it or not.

Outernational

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 06:23:48 PM »
Probably.

I can't stand him and his type.  He's not genuine in my opinion. Nothing more than a career politician of limited experience outside left wing politics, and a product of the wealthy North London left/liberal establishment. He'll say anything to suit, whether he believes in it or not.

I can't stand him and his type.  He's not genuine in my opinion. Nothing more than a career politician of limited experience outside right wing politics, and a product of the wealthy establishment. He'll say anything to suit, whether he believes in it or not.

I am, of course, speaking about Cameron and nearly all of the Coalition Cabinet.

incognito

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 06:24:34 PM »
At the moment I'm a don't know.

Like Barky I think it's a small step in the right directions to making this country a true democracy but on the other hand a big "no" vote would put huge pressure on the LibDems and might start or seal the downfall of the Coalition.

So I'll wait until voting day and see which way the wind is blowing.

:D      Brilliant.  The man who resorts to insults because he can't formulate a coherent argument about anything.

Fence sitting again. Incapable of thinking for himself. He's going to 'wait until voting day and see which way the winds blowing'.

You couldn't make it up, as they say.

Clax

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 06:26:54 PM »
I'm pretty much in the yes camp for the reasons already stated. Though it is typical of British politics that we only have the chance to vote on a watered down compromise to PR.

Does anyone else find it somewhat ironic that the AV question will be settled by a FPTP vote?

Yes

Outernational

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 06:28:05 PM »
:D      Brilliant.  The man who resorts to insults because he can't formulate a coherent argument about anything.

Fence sitting again. Incapable of thinking for himself. He's going to 'wait until voting day and see which way the winds blowing'.

And what are you going to do.....do the exact opposite of Milliband says!  Proves you can't think for yourself.

:doh:

You are not sitting on the fence, you are straddling it with a railing stuck up your arse waiting to do the opposite of Milliband says. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:44:01 PM by Outernational »