Author Topic: Oliver Schmidt jailed for seven years for Volkswagen emissions scam  (Read 26 times)

oake

• 6f616b65
A senior Volkswagen executive was sentenced to seven years in a prison by a US court on Wednesday after being found guilty of concealing software used to evade pollution limits on nearly 600,000 diesel vehicles.

Oliver Schmidt, a German national who was the general manager in charge of VW’s environmental and engineering office in Michigan, had pleaded guilty to his part in the cover-up and argued he was “misused” by VW in its attempts to circumvent US emissions tests.

But at the sentencing in Detroit judge Sean Cox sided with the prosecution. “It is my opinion that you are a key conspirator in this scheme to defraud the United States,” Cox told Schmidt in court. “You saw this as your opportunity to shine … and climb the corporate ladder at VW.”

Schmidt read a written statement in court acknowledging his guilt and broke down when discussing his family’s sacrifices on his behalf since his arrest in January.
“I made bad decisions and for that I am sorry,” he said.

Guardian

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
Re: Oliver Schmidt jailed for seven years for Volkswagen emissions scam
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 10:43:19 PM »
Good on the US for doing this. They even jailed a few of their banksters during the 08 crash. Here in Britain, we  give them a golden handshake and send them into retirement.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:29:58 PM by Return of the Mac »