Author Topic: Muslim population of UK set to triple by 2050  (Read 625 times)

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
Re: Muslim population of UK set to triple by 2050
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 04:21:48 PM »
Not particularly,  I'll probably be dead by then. The real enemy is the right wing neolib elite

If you survive by some cruel luck...will you grow a massive beard and will you wear a lil burka over Mr Wilson?

tequila_nic

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 04:35:10 PM »

As the population ages the proportion of non-contributiors (ie OAPs) grows; the burden on contributors (ie workers) falls and the burden on the providers grows ever bigger the smaller their proportion gets.

Half of Muslim men and three quarters of Muslim women are unemployed (2012)

2016 and it's not much better

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/muslims-more-likely-to-be-unemployed-than-any-other-social-group-in-the-uk-mps-warn-a7185451.html

https://fullfact.org/economy/are-muslim-women-more-likely-be-unemployed/

58% of all Muslim women were economically inactive in 2015

Quite simply apart from this being worrying, unless you are desperately paranoid about Muslims,

I see the results of the countries they come from and don't want it here.  We've fought a long fight against faith now we seem intent on letting the worst take hold.

Nic
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:57:03 PM by tequila_nic »

Alizarin

• Building a country that works or everyon
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 05:04:44 PM »
If you survive by some cruel luck...will you grow a massive beard and will you wear a lil burka over Mr Wilson?

Yep , cock burkas,  that's where it will be at for tomorrow's Muslim man about town.  One to watch out for on "Dragons' Den"

Alizarin

• Building a country that works or everyon
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 05:09:37 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/muslims-more-likely-to-be-unemployed-than-any-other-social-group-in-the-uk-mps-warn-a7185451.html

I see the results of the countries they come from and don't want it here.  We've fought a long fight against faith now we seem intent on letting the worst take hold.

Nic

It amazes me that you bang on about this 24/7 when the world is close to nuclear war and biodiversity has more than halved in the last few decades.  Worry about the oil running out, rain forests  vanishing and desertification of farmland if I were you

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 05:26:15 PM »
It amazes me that you bang on about this 24/7 when the world is close to nuclear war and biodiversity has more than halved in the last few decades.  Worry about the oil running out, rain forests  vanishing and desertification of farmland if I were you

Utterly agree Al, but such threads fall flat on their face here Al.

tequila_nic

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 05:31:13 PM »

LOL 24/7

Bless.

Nic

Sir Rocis de Liver

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 05:55:08 PM »
When is peak oil supposed to be?
Load of bollocks
Zillions of barrels underground
Advanced extraction techniques.
Carry on fracking
Never mind the NIMBYs

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 05:57:11 PM »
Load of bollocks
Carry on fracking
Never mind the NIMBYs
oil is being generated continually, it won't run out & we simply don't need fracking to maintain supplies

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 06:33:52 PM »
Utterly agree Al, but such threads fall flat on their face here Al.

I must admit people do seem unconcerned about the threat of nuclear war. I don't think many really see the threat as legitimate any more, although it's believed by many to greater now than at any time during the cold war. The media seem less willing to report on the scale of the threat too.

As for the environment, that is also a concern. People seemed more fored up about 10 years ago. Now it's often regarded as 'fake news'

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 06:34:22 PM »
Load of bollocks
Carry on fracking
Never mind the NIMBYs

Or the environment in trumps case and coal lots of that shit to be dug out of the ground.

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 06:43:06 PM »
Now it's often regarded as 'fake news'

I think most advertisers and capitalist profiteers for their rich share holders are more interested in getting us to buy "their products" with palm oil as an ingredient rather than concerning themselves with an opportunity costs corporates avoid through political lobbying such as environmental and habitat destruction along with species decimation and biodiveristy, just suck the shit up and be happy, that's all we are told to do. This way someone gets to become rich, what the fuck that means is open to question, personally I think it is to placate the paranoia about their self worth they suffer about their identity.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 07:40:48 PM »

Nic

Without the influence of traders and scientists and philosophers from what are now Muslim countries the world would have been very different.

Imagine the decimal number system never having been introduced, or any of the robust arithmetical methods they developed which were extended to algebra.

Or if nomads had never settled between the Tigris and Euphrates and established agriculture for us...

The whole planet, well our bit for sure, would be so far behind where it is now.

There'd've been no Renaissance, no industrial revolution, no British Empire. Britain's place as a global power would probably have been usurped by China - or possibly India.

Indian troops might have invaded the British Isles and subjugated the population for hundreds of years. Things like the Amritsar Massacre would have happened in, oh I don't know... Chesterfield and not India.

Indian cities would be dominated by pasty shops and places selling pie and mash; a roast beef dinner would be the subcontinent's favourite dish. India and Pakistan would compete at kabbadi for The Ashes.

Sorry about that. Much of it is absurd but, then again, you started it.

tequila_nic

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 06:04:51 AM »
Without the influence of traders and scientists and philosophers from what are now Muslim countries the world would have been very different.

Imagine the decimal number system never having been introduced, or any of the robust arithmetical methods they developed which were extended to algebra.

Or if nomads had never settled between the Tigris and Euphrates and established agriculture for us...

The whole planet, well our bit for sure, would be so far behind where it is now.

There'd've been no Renaissance, no industrial revolution, no British Empire. Britain's place as a global power would probably have been usurped by China - or possibly India.

Indian troops might have invaded the British Isles and subjugated the population for hundreds of years. Things like the Amritsar Massacre would have happened in, oh I don't know... Chesterfield and not India.

Indian cities would be dominated by pasty shops and places selling pie and mash; a roast beef dinner would be the subcontinent's favourite dish. India and Pakistan would compete at kabbadi for The Ashes.

Sorry about that. Much of it is absurd but, then again, you started it.

wrong decimal numbers are Indian and algebra is Greek

But I gave you facts not absurdity.

Nic
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 06:11:22 AM by tequila_nic »

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »
wrong decimal numbers are Indian and algebra is Greek

But I gave you facts not absurdity.

Nic

Your facts are wrong in both respects.

The Greeks were never that interested in number. It was geometry that floated their boat and number only really served as a tool for the exploration of shape. They had some fundamentally erroneous number assumptions and the realisation that square roots, when not whole numbers, were irrational numbers caused something of a furore and freaked Pythagoras, in particular, right out. The Greeks did edge into algebra for geometric purposes but much of what they did was forgotten and lost; it certainly had little impact on the modern world as we know it. Their work just sat there ignored for centuries.

The earliest mathematicians of any great repute were the Chinese and Indians who came to the conclusions that the Greeks did many hundreds of years earlier. I heartily recommend that you read The Crest of the Peacock (non-European roots of mathematics) as an excellent introduction (there's a free download here: http://www.ms.uky.edu/~sohum/ma330/files/Crest_of_the_peacock.pdf)

But you are wrong. It was Sumerians (basically Iraqis in modern terms not that it existed then) who first introduced any sort of number system although it is barely regnisable to us today. The next major breakthrough was the concept of zero (probably in India) which allowed the adoption of "hundreds, tens and units" as we recognise them (the Romans, for instance had no concept of zero which made their arithmetic rather inconsistent and, arguably, eventually led to the collapse of the Roman Empire because it just go to be too big for the infra-structure to be supported - how they calculated things like CXV(IX x VII) + MIM is rather unfathomable even today without recourse to "modern" methods). I strongly recommend The Nothing That Is as an introduction to the introduction of zero (looks like you might need to buy this one https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/424190.The_Nothing_That_Is). It's all fascinating stuff and much more accessible than Peacock.

And then we're moving on towards Fibonnacci who robbed much of his thinking from Al Jabr (say it aloud a couple of times and you'll twig if you've not already) in the 1400s. Al Jabr actually formalised many of our familiar computational algorithms (subtraction by decomposition and so on) using the Hindu-Arabic symbols (i.e. 0, 1, 2, 3...) we are all so familiar with today.

And all of that was mostly linked and spread by Arab merchants who went east to Asia and west to Europe for trade purposes long before most Europeans gave it a moment of thought. Arab seats of learning were far more advanced than our European universities with Egypt's Library of Alexandria being established some hundreds of years "BC"; we Europeans were still banging rocks together at the time.

It wasn't until well after the Dark Ages that Europe began to catch up and it only did so by the wholesale adoption of concepts and practices long established in the Arab world as we now know it.

So your post is completely wrong at every fundamental level in terms of factual accuracy, I'm afraid. Sorry to bring you the bad news.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:34:35 AM by bababarararacucucudadada »

tequila_nic

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 11:49:35 AM »
Your facts are wrong in both respects.

Nope you are wrong here

your claim was 'Imagine the decimal number system never having been introduced, or any of the robust arithmetical methods they developed which were extended to algebra.'

all things that did not require any input from 'muslims' as they already existed as your post confirms.

The zero was an idea that was bound to happen https://www.livescience.com/27853-who-invented-zero.html

Oh and the book is called 'Hidab al-jabr wal-muqubala' the author was 'Mohammed ibn-Musa al-Khowarizmi'

Also most still will argue the Greeks are responsible

In the context where algebra is identified with the theory of equations, the Greek mathematician Diophantus has traditionally been known as the "father of algebra" but in more recent times there is much debate over whether al-Khwarizmi, who founded the discipline of al-jabr, deserves that title instead.

But here is a good read on the history of algebra

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_algebra

But my facts were in regard to Muslim employment stats something you seem keen to gloss over.

But no bad news as it seems you are not as 'correct' as you would like to think.

But again hardly relevant to the topic under discussion and more relevant to a thread 'what did some Muslims do a 1000 years ago'

Nic