Author Topic: The Ashes Down Under 2017/18  (Read 244 times)

bababarararacucucudadada

Re: The Ashes Down Under 2017/18
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 02:15:57 AM »
59-1 at lunch. Steady recovery after the early wicket.

The "59" is almost immaterial. Only 1 wicket down is great. Keep going as we are and the runs will come more easily. Stoneman and Vince are in now, they've had a good look at all of the bowlers and they'll both be hoping for decent scores... Steady as she goes, lads.

Honours even so far.

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 12:24:16 PM »
Slow pitch...meant to quicken up today. Sluggish???? Slow standard of scoring by modern day standards. Maybe nerves. Let's hope Eng can notch up 350 at least.

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 12:38:52 PM »
59-1 at lunch. Steady recovery after the early wicket.

The "59" is almost immaterial. Only 1 wicket down is great. Keep going as we are and the runs will come more easily. Stoneman and Vince are in now, they've had a good look at all of the bowlers and they'll both be hoping for decent scores... Steady as she goes, lads.

Honours even so far.

Don't follow the county scene that much....but I honestly did not know who this Stoneman was.....Disappointed that at least one batter didn't get a century.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 12:40:11 AM »
Stoneman is your typical traditional opener: patient, technically good, not terribly exciting. Him and Alaistair Cook could well bore the Aussies into submission but if they stay together expect England to ratchet up a monster score.

Vince is the one I know nothing about. That said he played beautifully yesterday and was taking the game away from Australia until he was run out superbly by Lyon.

First hour gone on Day Two. One airy fairy hook by Moeen apart there's been no great scares.

Lyon's just gone past Malan's outside edge...

It's looking, dare I say it?, very encouraging at 232-4.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 02:41:20 AM »
It was all going so well... And then a collapse.

The Aussies starting banging it in short; Malan top edged a hook and before you know it we needed some tail-end biffing to get to 302 all out.

I'm calling that 100 runs short of par.

Nothing in the pitch. Not much pace. Nothing has swung. Still some turn.

If Warner gets going our total will be well short.

Right now the Aussies are full of it.

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 02:14:54 PM »
That collapse was unbelievable. I went to bed seething with anger. How could they? At least one should have gone for a big score. Maybe nerves. But has Eng exposed its weakness to short bowing in the very first test itself? Sign of things to come?

Honours stll even...wouldn't it be great if Eng can bowl Aus out for under 250?

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 06:11:22 PM »
We bowled fairly sensibly.

The Aussie approach was weird though. They let Warner start off at the non-striker's end and he didn't get much early strike; the other opened was becalmed and we quickly settled. I can't help but think that Warner taking the first ball would have seem him involved and established momentum for them. Warner never got going, the other opened edged one and was well caught Khawalja looks useless and for a moment it looked like we might skittle 'em cheaply.

It's all on Smith now.

Ultimately I think our 4 quicks + Moeen is a stronger and more stable option that their 3 quicks + Lyon. I think that'll be the difference. Australia managed to end our 1st innings just as their bowlers were showing signs of fatigue and another hour would have been massively to our advantage. We'll see.

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 12:37:50 AM »
5 down....

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 10:28:23 AM »
There can be worthwhile reasons for losing sleep, but last weekend didn't provide any.

Any positive prospects for Adelaide, or should I wait for the highlights? ;)

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 11:34:58 AM »
I'd wait to see if we win the toss or not. If we do and we bat then Cook and Stoneman need to do their stuff. If they do i can see rattling up a big total.

It's the bowling that is a worry. They don't seem to have a hope in hell of getting Smith out and the others, Warner especially, are likely to get a few.

Don't think they start until 2 am though so this one will be very hard to follow from the start.

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 12:41:56 PM »
I'd wait to see if we win the toss or not. If we do and we bat then Cook and Stoneman need to do their stuff. If they do i can see rattling up a big total.

It's the bowling that is a worry. They don't seem to have a hope in hell of getting Smith out and the others, Warner especially, are likely to get a few.

Don't think they start until 2 am though so this one will be very hard to follow from the start.

Yes, the deliberately late start doesn't make it a very attractive proposition. Maybe if they saved the day/night match for the WACA it might be worth getting up early, but 2 am is too late to wait up, and too early to set the alarm. 

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 08:43:30 PM »
Double damn...Oz 2-0 already. Can we stop the tide? Stop Glen McGrath's trolling at least?

Come on Ingerlund...never too late to fightback.

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 09:07:17 PM »
The 3rd test is another 0230 start - about as inconvenient as possible for us at home.

Melbourne and Sydney are both 2330 starts, so I'll probably watch them, and just rely on highlights from the WACA match.

Knowing my luck, we'll win at Perth. ;)