Author Topic: Time Travel Question?  (Read 251 times)

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
Re: Time Travel Question?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »
What about Pol Pot, US bombing raids in Vietnam(nearly 4 million)?

Well Pol Pot was finished by the Viet Cong and NVA, literally a year after US involvement, and therefore the bombing raids stopped, but had they not happened, then the NVA and Viet Cong would not have been mobilised to the extent which they would have been able to stop the Khymer Rouge.

Pol Pot could only be stopped with a similar approach to stopping Hitler, so again way too complex and way too easy for things to not only go wrong, but for them to either happen anyway, or someone worse waiting in the wings to make their move.

And how would you influence the US to not conduct the bombing raids, even if you came from the future? Again, you have to be able to be in a position to control the decisions of the various involved Presidents, Congress, the Senate, Militaries. Basically you are proposing to go back to say, 1950 and then using your knowledge of future events to manipulate your way into high office, even the presidency.
How that would change things is wildly difficult to predict!

Stop bringing up things you don't understand and only vaguely know that they made the US look bad.

OK. I'll play nicely.

If we accept that a Hitler (rather than A Hitler) was an inevitability then we need to ask why?

I'd contend that the end of WW1 was unsatisfactory and the right thing to target would the The Treaty Of Versailles.

The ToV was far too punitive on the Germans. As a result they suffered economic disaster, hyper-inflation and all that which in turn served as a perfect petri dish for Nazi culture to thrive in and that led to Hitler and WW2.

We needed to sow rather more nous than we did and should have been generous to the Germans which would have seen them able to rebuild better and view us as friends rather than as gloating and merciless victors.

I completely agree that the ToV was what evenually led to WW2. Many scholars do say that World Wars one and two were really just the same war seperated by a 20 year gap.

However again, how is a time traveller going to influence this in any way, short of going back earlier and trying to involve themselves in the system so that they are a powerful decision maker, or have the ear of a decision maker, without causing other effects which would potentially be wild, unpredictable and have a lot of potential to be far worse.

This is why my favourite Time Travel film is actually "The Butterfly Effect" as it demonstrates how even a slight change can have a major later consequence, which makes things overall far far worse.

Back to the Future touches on this, but makes out that it is ultimately fixable, and possible to make a life better, but that is a fucking silly film that thought that the biggest flop in the world of cars was an appropriate vehicle to put a plutonium powered device in the back.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 02:44:04 PM »
So I'm back to the Bristol City game, then?

Nothing at all would have changed but I'd've had a cracking night out.

Actually not going was, in a peculiar way, pretty cool. One of the more bizarre nights I have ever enjoyed involving a barely audible BBC Radio Wales commentary of Kidderminster v Hereford (or similar - I don't remember who it was), my mother who was listening to commentary on ILR and a student phone line that only took incoming calls.

Not the same as being at the match but in its won way massive fun.

captainfly

• is fantastic!!!
  • HEY HO, LET'S GO!
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 04:49:22 AM »
Changing the past is not something anyone should ever try, now sering the future and then using it is self fulfilling, so skipping a few days forward and seeing the lotto numbers is fine, then using them to win is what will always have happened, so that is what I would do :clap:

Je

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 11:17:55 AM »
Changing the past is not something anyone should ever try, now sering the future and then using it is self fulfilling, so skipping a few days forward and seeing the lotto numbers is fine, then using them to win is what will always have happened, so that is what I would do :clap:

Hmmm this plan also involves changing the past though! When you've travelled to the future and seen the lotto numbers... then you travel back to the past!

Edit: If you just mean seeing the future by precognition then that would be valid.

(head starts to hurt) If your plan is valid for time travel then any time travel to the past would have to be fine... with the proviso that what you do there is incorporated into the fixed events of the universe.... ie you make the past through time travel... but don't change it... it was always what happened.

Edit no2:

So in fact I could use this bracelet to travel back to the past... so long as my travelling there and what I do is already incorporated into the events of the past... so I can't kill Hitler before 1945 as we know that didn't happen... but for all we know I could have had dinner with Genghis Khan. Indeed it could be that I *have* to time travel back to the past as I'm part of it... and if I didn't the present couldn't have happened.

(Looks again at time travel bracelet... considers my calling...)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:32:11 AM by Je »

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 02:37:56 PM »
Hmmm this plan also involves changing the past though! When you've travelled to the future and seen the lotto numbers... then you travel back to the past!

Edit: If you just mean seeing the future by precognition then that would be valid.

(head starts to hurt) If your plan is valid for time travel then any time travel to the past would have to be fine... with the proviso that what you do there is incorporated into the fixed events of the universe.... ie you make the past through time travel... but don't change it... it was always what happened.

Edit no2:

So in fact I could use this bracelet to travel back to the past... so long as my travelling there and what I do is already incorporated into the events of the past... so I can't kill Hitler before 1945 as we know that didn't happen... but for all we know I could have had dinner with Genghis Khan. Indeed it could be that I *have* to time travel back to the past as I'm part of it... and if I didn't the present couldn't have happened.

(Looks again at time travel bracelet... considers my calling...)

If you had dinner with Genghis Khan, you would probably have contracted dysentery and died. (Three days later)

Also, you risk giving him AIDS, thus spreading AIDS all over the known world. in 1192 or something.

captainfly

• is fantastic!!!
  • HEY HO, LET'S GO!
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 02:56:43 PM »
Time travel to before the start point of an individual return event should not be possible as there should not be a way alter the past as it has already happened unless the parellel dimensions theory is true, but there will probably not be a way to get back to your start point.
Unless this has all be sorted out because if time travel does exist then the creation of it should have made reallity work with it and any journey has been incorporated into reallity.

Unless you are the one causing the Mandela Effect just to mess with people?

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 03:55:39 PM »
Time travel to before the start point of an individual return event should not be possible as there should not be a way alter the past as it has already happened unless the parellel dimensions theory is true, but there will probably not be a way to get back to your start point.
Unless this has all be sorted out because if time travel does exist then the creation of it should have made reallity work with it and any journey has been incorporated into reallity.

Unless you are the one causing the Mandela Effect just to mess with people?

The Mandela effect is "believed" to be related to cross universe or reality rather than a result of time travel. But you are kind of right in that one of the theories related to an operating time travel would be cross universe.

The hoax John Titor was based on this theory.

Je is claiming to have found a time travel bracelet, of undetermined age.

I suppose the first thing he should do is see how far back it will take him, to test the time travel is only possible from the moment it is made possible theory.

But he should absolutely not give Genghis khan AIDs.

Groper

• A bachelor's life is no life for a single man
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 08:01:44 PM »
My big question to you all is now what? Where do I go? What do I do? Assassinate Hitler, what? Any suggestions?

Dunno what you do but I'd go back in time and beat my 16 year old self up.

Je

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 09:58:48 PM »

Give me the details and I'll see what I can do! Any message to go with it etc...

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 10:03:15 PM »

You would love to go back to 2016....just before the US Prez election.  :cops:

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 10:40:46 PM »
You would love to go back to 2016....just before the US Prez election.  :cops:

You would go back to 1988, before you lost your dignity.

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2017, 10:46:33 PM »
You would go back to 1988, before you lost your dignity.

My Russophobe stalker returns. You should marry that guy Groper....another Russophobe and live happily ever after(here's me hoping) and stalker free !!!

Je

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2017, 11:26:16 PM »
Lets recap the plan so far...

1) Take bababarararacucucudadada back to April 29th, 1986 Plymouth Argyle Vs Bristol City.

2) While there collect a couple of soccer hoolies and take them to give Groper a message on his 16th.

3) Have dinner with Genghis Khan.

still looking a tad lame...

Edit... another idea is I collect Genghis Khan and get him to give Groper his 16th birthday present?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:29:42 PM by Je »

Groper

• A bachelor's life is no life for a single man
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2017, 07:12:40 PM »
Give me the details and I'll see what I can do! Any message to go with it etc...

:D

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2017, 10:24:57 AM »
My Russophobe stalker returns. You should marry that guy Groper....another Russophobe and live happily ever after(here's me hoping) and stalker free !!!

You don't have any stalkers you moron.

Those guys who keep looking through your window at you are undertakers giving an estimate to your parents on the size and construction of the coffin they will need to buy.

The other guys are crane and winch operators who have been given the grim task of removing your monstrously obese body from your pit when you expire.