Author Topic: Time Travel Question?  (Read 253 times)

Je

Time Travel Question?
« on: November 19, 2017, 11:45:24 PM »
I was metal detectoring and I found a time travel bracelet... I know this sounds hard to believe, like it would be made up or something... but I'm serious. Once I worked out what it was and what the dials did... I started testing it, nipping forward and back in time a few minutes... then a few hours... its in really good nick considering, bit of rust but otherwise working order. My big question to you all is now what? Where do I go? What do I do? Assassinate Hitler, what? Any suggestions?

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
Re: Time Travel Question?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 11:54:14 PM »
Leave it be. Likelihood is that you would make things worse.

Killing Hitler might just mean that a more competent Nazi takes his place. Maybe that Nazi honours the non aggression pact with Stalin, the UK falls, America never enters the war or just isolates itself after the attack on pearl harbor.

Then we end up with a real three state world.

If you think, "aha! I shall go back further in time" then what about all the other factors, maybe you catch a disease, maybe you spread a disease from now which people in history have no immunity from, so while you kill Napoleon, you also wipe out 80% of Europe.

Best just leave things as they are or just give yourself last week 5 numbers for the lottery.

Then at least you won't need money for a while, so worth the metal detector price, if nothing else.

Je

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 12:04:06 AM »
Killing Hitler might just mean that a more competent Nazi takes his place. Maybe that Nazi honours the non aggression pact with Stalin, the UK falls, America never enters the war or just isolates itself after the attack on pearl harbor.

All that's the least of it. I've been sitting here staring at the bracelet and contemplating this one. I go back to say 1932 and then what... its just me how I do like penetrate all the security and kill Hitler... just me... I'd probably get arrested and end up in a camp. I could go back to when he was a baby... but that would make me a baby killer... would there instead maybe be a way of turning Hitler into a nice guy by giving him a toy to play with or summit?

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 12:06:13 AM »
I would love to see this day Je. However, we shouldn't be able to alter history. But imagine if you get caught up in some cross-fire? 

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 12:14:10 AM »
All that's the least of it. I've been sitting here staring at the bracelet and contemplating this one. I go back to say 1932 and then what... its just me how I do like penetrate all the security and kill Hitler... just me... I'd probably get arrested and end up in a camp. I could go back to when he was a baby... but that would make me a baby killer... would there instead maybe be a way of turning Hitler into a nice guy by giving him a toy to play with or summit?

The situation in Germany then was that someone would have been "Hitler". In a similar way world war one was inevitable.
Even if you were to smother Gavrilo Princip in his squat, or just shoot him and his stupid friends playing at revolution, way easier than killing Hitler and the local authorities at the time would not really give a rat's arse, then something else would happen to be the flame that lights the fuse.

Then what would have happened would be anyone's guess. War obviously, but how long and how far.

Je

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:32:50 AM »
The situation in Germany then was that someone would have been "Hitler". In a similar way world war one was inevitable.
Even if you were to smother Gavrilo Princip in his squat, or just shoot him and his stupid friends playing at revolution, way easier than killing Hitler and the local authorities at the time would not really give a rat's arse, then something else would happen to be the flame that lights the fuse.

Then what would have happened would be anyone's guess. War obviously, but how long and how far.

Okay how about this... I learn German, grow a moustache, become a master of impersonation, kill Hitler and step into his shoes. He is the Fuhrer... anything he says goes... while ruling I cunningly make decrees than morph NAZISM into something completely harmless without anyone noticing?

(There is a tiny flaw... I'm not very good at languages...)

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 10:54:13 AM »
I'd go back to April 29th, 1986.

Plymouth Argyle 4 Bristol City 0.

Everybody tells me it was the best night ever and I couldn't go.

When you are an Argyle supporter you don't get many nights to remember and missing them when they do come around is very galling.

Je

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 11:02:45 AM »
I'd go back to April 29th, 1986.

Plymouth Argyle 4 Bristol City 0.

Everybody tells me it was the best night ever and I couldn't go.

When you are an Argyle supporter you don't get many nights to remember and missing them when they do come around is very galling.

Errr.... okayyyy.... I'm thinking on the lines of saving the lives of 50 million people... and you want to go watch a football match!

If anyone came up with a really good plan... better than anything I could think of... I was thinking I'd be prepared to give them the time travel bracelet... *you* don't get it!

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 11:25:16 AM »
Okay how about this... I learn German, grow a moustache, become a master of impersonation, kill Hitler and step into his shoes. He is the Fuhrer... anything he says goes... while ruling I cunningly make decrees than morph NAZISM into something completely harmless without anyone noticing?

(There is a tiny flaw... I'm not very good at languages...)

Again, too many things could go wrong and lead to the first scenario. You would need to spend a year at least hanging out with Hitler, getting to know all of his mannerisms, tics and odd habits.
And then how do you explain your sudden disappearance to other Nazis.

Je

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 11:47:22 AM »
Again, too many things could go wrong and lead to the first scenario. You would need to spend a year at least hanging out with Hitler, getting to know all of his mannerisms, tics and odd habits.
And then how do you explain your sudden disappearance to other Nazis.

Thank you... thank you.... you are helping me hone my plans to the position that they become realistic! So... I have to impersonate someone close to Hitler in order to learn his mannerisms etc... and probably impersonate someone else close to them first... so there is a whole chain of impersonations ultimately leading up to Alof Hilter.

I am going to need some help with this!

I propose I go into the future to when humanoid robots that can impersonate multiple people have been perfected... using the classic deposit 1 in a bank somewhere now... that's worth enough to buy the future robot when I time travel there. I then go back in time to the 1930s taking the robot and subvert the NAZI hierarchy...

Je

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 12:18:25 PM »
BLAST! I've thought of a flaw. Supposing I stop WW2... then maybe there's a technological development that happened in WW2... or because of WW2... which was crucial to the development of robots that can impersonate people... they never get developed... and there's a blue screen of death/time paradox/Microsoft type world-wobbly and the whole plan falls down like a stack of cards... I get trapped in time... WW2 gets re-invented again... and everything reverts back to how it was!

Yep, this time travel stuff is more problematic than I thought... I'm really thinking hard about whether I should just destroy this time travel bracelet now!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:22:40 PM by Je »

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 12:51:09 PM »
Errr.... okayyyy.... I'm thinking on the lines of saving the lives of 50 million people... and you want to go watch a football match!

If anyone came up with a really good plan... better than anything I could think of... I was thinking I'd be prepared to give them the time travel bracelet... *you* don't get it!

Merely thinking that if topping Adolf would only have resulted in Adolf #2 then many other significant interventions might not work either so opted for something that would make me very happy and not impact negatively on anybody anywhere.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 12:52:57 PM »
If I can't go back to that Bristol City game can I go to the The Who Live At Leeds concert?

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 01:03:07 PM »
OK. I'll play nicely.

If we accept that a Hitler (rather than A Hitler) was an inevitability then we need to ask why?

I'd contend that the end of WW1 was unsatisfactory and the right thing to target would the The Treaty Of Versailles.

The ToV was far too punitive on the Germans. As a result they suffered economic disaster, hyper-inflation and all that which in turn served as a perfect petri dish for Nazi culture to thrive in and that led to Hitler and WW2.

We needed to sow rather more nous than we did and should have been generous to the Germans which would have seen them able to rebuild better and view us as friends rather than as gloating and merciless victors.

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 01:19:36 PM »
What about Pol Pot, US bombing raids in Vietnam(nearly 4 million)?