Author Topic: Brexit should be prevented - German government advisors  (Read 128 times)

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
Brexit should be prevented - German government advisors
« on: November 09, 2017, 01:51:19 PM »
From the article..

The U.K.’s exit from the European Union should be prevented due to the “far-reaching impact” Brexit would have, Germany’s Council of Economic Experts, which advises Chancellor Angela Merkel, said Wednesday.

If Britain does leave the bloc, an agreement is needed that would minimize the damage for both sides, the council said in its annual report. With talks likely to drag on longer than the two years envisaged by EU rules, a one-time extension period should be granted, the experts said.

“Due to the wide-ranging impact of a U.K. exit from the EU, the council continues to urge that it be prevented,” the council said. “The economic cost of Brexit will hit the U.K. significantly harder than the rest of the EU.”

EU President Donald Tusk last month revived the notion Britain could remain a member of the bloc, saying the outcome was entirely in the hands of the British government. Germany and France have indicated the U.K. would be welcomed back if it decided to reverse the Brexit process. In order to do so, Britain would likely have to hold another referendum or elect a government led by a party that campaigned on a promise to stay in the EU.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/brexit-should-be-prevented-german-government-advisers-say/ar-BBEJmwm?ocid=ientp

Another referendum would mgo down very badly with the public IMO, and would probably lead to a an even larger vote to leave. In any case this is a fucking mess.

Alizarin

• Building a country that works or everyon
Re: Brexit should be prevented - German government advisors
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 02:03:47 PM »
From the article..

The U.K.’s exit from the European Union should be prevented due to the “far-reaching impact” Brexit would have, Germany’s Council of Economic Experts, which advises Chancellor Angela Merkel, said Wednesday.

If Britain does leave the bloc, an agreement is needed that would minimize the damage for both sides, the council said in its annual report. With talks likely to drag on longer than the two years envisaged by EU rules, a one-time extension period should be granted, the experts said.

“Due to the wide-ranging impact of a U.K. exit from the EU, the council continues to urge that it be prevented,” the council said. “The economic cost of Brexit will hit the U.K. significantly harder than the rest of the EU.”

EU President Donald Tusk last month revived the notion Britain could remain a member of the bloc, saying the outcome was entirely in the hands of the British government. Germany and France have indicated the U.K. would be welcomed back if it decided to reverse the Brexit process. In order to do so, Britain would likely have to hold another referendum or elect a government led by a party that campaigned on a promise to stay in the EU.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/brexit-should-be-prevented-german-government-advisers-say/ar-BBEJmwm?ocid=ientp

Another referendum would mgo down very badly with the public IMO, and would probably lead to a an even larger vote to leave. In any case this is a fucking mess.

Which to my mind would be no bad thing.  A clear lead would justify 'the will of the people' rhetoric which scraping by on less than 4% doesn't -  plus we've had time to stare into the abyss and make a more informed decision rather than the bullshit spouted last time .  The best thing about it would be that it would piss off that fucktard Farrige and his ilk.   

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:23:19 PM by Alizarin »

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »
Germany of course would say this....

Remoaners living out their ultimate fantasies.  :D

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 02:09:34 PM »
Which to my mind would be no bad thing.  A clear lead would justify 'the will of the people' rhetoric which scraping by on less than 45% doesn't -  plus we've had time to stare into the abyss and make a more informed decision rather than the bullshit spouted last time .  The best thing about it would be that it would piss off that fucktard Farrige and his ilk.

Thing is, Article 50 has been passed and is being enacted. The sorry situation now is that leave will happen in some shape or form.
It should be cancelled I agree, but the only feasable way to do a referendum or similar that would not lead to a further mooing and bleating about "not rwespectiwing democwacy" and "Durrr, I fink we waz betta when dere were no yuropean pakies dakin ouur jobs, so out of yurope" is if a clear campaign for a referendum finalising the eventual proposed deal and what it really means for people.

A referendum at this stage would just simply make the whole idea of yes no decisions meaningless, and that would be used against the remain supporters should remain "win" this time.

Fuck off with your retarded non opinions.

tequila_nic

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 03:25:25 PM »
Because we are going to do as the Germans want us to do :)

You couldn't make this bollox up

Nic

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 04:43:53 PM »

you obviously give not a shit about severe economic damage brexit will do ... Germans just pointing out sheer stupidity of brexit

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 04:51:49 PM »
Thing is, Article 50 has been passed and is being enacted.
article 50 only opened door to a 2 year countdown to actioning another separate article for leaving EU - 100% reversible
The sorry situation now is that leave will happen in some shape or form.
still not certain going by a government minister I know
It should be cancelled I agree, but the only feasable way to do a referendum or similar that would not lead to a further mooing and bleating about "not rwespectiwing democwacy"
at a time when democracy is to be totally side-stepped?
and "Durrr, I fink we waz betta when dere were no yuropean pakies dakin ouur jobs, so out of yurope" is if a clear campaign for a referendum finalising the eventual proposed deal and what it really means for people.
clear campaign from UK establishment ... lol

A referendum at this stage would just simply make the whole idea of yes no decisions meaningless, and that would be used against the remain supporters should remain "win" this time.
EU ref campaign was meaningless, 100% nonsensical fluff - in a 2nd one they could deal with reality (if they know how)

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 06:24:32 PM »
If one referendum is democratic surely two refererenda are twice as democratic?

If the assertion is it'll be the same result but bigger what is there to oppose?

If you are Leaver advocating democracy you should be demanding Refererendum #2 to settle the issue forever.

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 08:21:46 PM »
article 50 only opened door to a 2 year countdown to actioning another separate article for leaving EU - 100% reversiblestill not certain going by a government minister I knowat a time when democracy is to be totally side-stepped?clear campaign from UK establishment ... lol EU ref campaign was meaningless, 100% nonsensical fluff - in a 2nd one they could deal with reality (if they know how)

I wish I could share your optimistic view for cancellation of brexit, but from here it is looking less likely.

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 08:31:18 PM »
I wish I could share your optimistic view for cancellation of brexit, but from here it is looking less likely.
well my MSP just happens to be minister responsible for brexit for Scottish Gov, he knows his subject well ...... & message coming through is UKs only realistic option is to back out of leaving as UK is totally unprepared as things stand ... or suffer total mayhem relegating UK to economic basket case for decades to come

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 09:54:27 PM »
well my MSP just happens to be minister responsible for brexit for Scottish Gov, he knows his subject well ...... & message coming through is UKs only realistic option is to back out of leaving as UK is totally unprepared as things stand ... or suffer total mayhem relegating UK to economic basket case for decades to come

I really hope so!

How do you think the brexit strongholds will take that.

No one gives a fuck what Farage has to say however. He is an odious little joke who should be drowned in a bucket.

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 10:40:50 PM »
I really hope so!

How do you think the brexit strongholds will take that.

No one gives a fuck what Farage has to say however. He is an odious little joke who should be drowned in a bucket.
if reality gets spelled out to them they'll understand .... already got some folk in leave voting fishing port of Grimsby begging to stay in single market + customs union as they foresee hardship for the fishing industry

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 07:20:43 AM »
if reality gets spelled out to them they'll understand .... already got some folk in leave voting fishing port of Grimsby begging to stay in single market + customs union as they foresee hardship for the fishing industry

Yes I read about that. And the leave campaigns made such a big deal out of protection for British fisheries.

It really seemed that the leave campaign believed that fishing quotas were simply to prevent fishermen from doing their job and nothing to do with the fact that the seas are way overfished.

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 08:55:13 AM »
Yes I read about that. And the leave campaigns made such a big deal out of protection for British fisheries.

It really seemed that the leave campaign believed that fishing quotas were simply to prevent fishermen from doing their job and nothing to do with the fact that the seas are way overfished.

In the same way those types tend to believe global warming is a hoax, and an excuse for governments to impose taxes. It's the alt-right, alternative facts, "I'm not racist, but..." brigade.

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 12:02:01 PM »
In the same way those types tend to believe global warming is a hoax, and an excuse for governments to impose taxes. It's the alt-right, alternative facts, "I'm not racist, but..." brigade.

Absolutely.

Its just becoming more and more frustrating as such viewpoints are getting "legitimised". At least in some circles, and some of those circles have influence.

The PC brigade do not help matters either. Its hard to be realistic these days, without both sides accusing one of being prejudiced or intolerant.