Author Topic: do you think there has been too much propaganda against smoking over the years?  (Read 67 times)

Guzman

Just something ive been thinking about recently.  No im not saying this from a smokers point of view at all, because ive actually been a non smoker all my life, but its still something ive been thinking about.

We use to get videos shown to us in middle school warning us about the dangers of being a smoker, and how your much much much more likely to get lung cancer being one, or how you can smoke so much that you end up smoking your legs off ect ect.

But answer this question here honestly.....have you have known a relative of yours, or the relative of a friend of yours that has been a smoker and has ended up with lung cancer?.  I havent......ever.  But.....how many smokers have i ever known in my life?.......loads!!.   I bet lung cancer cases where the person was/is a smoker, has been more from the war generations....as in those born in the early part of the 20th century.  Because one thing we need to remember is, smoking was not reported as a harmful vice until the 60s.  And many of these war grannies and grandaddies that were around when i was a child (the 80s) smoked about 40-50 a day.   When i was in secondry school, one of my peers told me he only smoked 10 a day.   10 a day??...thats a quarter or a 5th of what these war people smoked per day....thats a big marginal difference.

Its like with alchohol.....drink only 3 pints a week....no harm.  You should make old bones with your original liver and it being in pretty decent shape.  Drink 20-30 pints a week, then your gonna be in trouble.  Its like with Mcdonalds food aswell......go there once a week only....no harm.  Go there 4 to 5 times a week and your weights gonna pile on, your going to be unhealthy, and your body is going to have more toxins going through it than it can comfortably handle.

40 to 50 cigarettes a day?....thats way too many....you cant even go an hour without a fag??.  Before the 60s, it wasnt even known to be a harmfull vice...it was even fashionable to smoke before the 60s, in the 50s it was even considered romantic to.  I bet during ww2, you wernt even considered to be a real man inless you smoked.  Im glad these values dont exist today about them.  Ive even heard that some jazz and blues singers even use to smoke many cigs and cigars a day so it would give them these gravily vocals for them to sing.

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
The links between smoking and cancer have been proven.

People still like too do it.

I don't think it should be outlawed, but I do think that people now are in the know enough that they can make an informed choice.

In Sweden we have a sucking tobacco called snus, which is only linked to a possible slight increase in the risk of pancreatic cancer.

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
Have lost a few relatives due to over indulgence & there's even been a few on forums over the years who've succumbed to either smoking or drink or both ... No there hasn't been enough education of the risks (likely as government wants revenues) but things are heading in a better direction now ... but addiction kills
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 04:26:04 PM by barky »

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
My father died of lung cancer althoug that was casued by asbestos, apparebtly, but he was a heavy smoker. I have had two other rellies who have died from smoking, one from lung cancer and one from heart disease. It does kill.

I believe it's said that around 50% of lifetime smokers (30 years +) die from their habit for one reason or another, roughly 20% of those from actual lung cancer, but the link has been proven. It's not just ung cancer tough. Mouth cancer, throat cancer, brain cancer, bowel cancer. Smoking can increase the risk of all those.

I am a smoker and I'm at the pont where I don't enjoy it. I just do it. I'm not totally against the anti smoking 'propaganda'

Groper

• A bachelor's life is no life for a single man
I'm more concerned about the diesel pollution in our cities.  How many packs of fags does the exhaust of a diesel van pump out?  These particulates are large and hang around for a long time.

Guzman

Oh i was never saying that smoking has never been a detriment to anybodies health, or its not been the cause of any serious health problems or early deaths, but do you think there has been some exaggeration at times?.

I mean somebody smoking their legs off?, never heard of such a thing, other than it being said in that school video.   I dont think the smokers of today smoke as many cigs a day as what our grandparents and great grandparents did.  When you smoke 40 or 50 a day, and your only awake for 16 hours, your smoking every 30 mins at least, thats well over indulging.  Your poor old lungs hardly ever get a chance to breath in any fresh air when your smoking every 30 mins.  How these people ever managed to hold down jobs i dont know.  You'd hardly get any work done if you had to light one up every 30 mins.

Je

do you think there has been too much propaganda against smoking over the years?

NOOOO! Getting people to jack in this filthy habit is a success story. Non-smokers no longer have to join in the coughing and spluttering that those without the sense they're born with inflict on themselves. Coughing/spluttering - there's a clue in there from your body about it not being good for you...

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
Have lost a few relatives due to over indulgence & there's even been a few on forums over the years who've succumbed to either smoking or drink or both ... No there hasn't been enough education of the risks (likely as government wants revenues) but things are heading in a better direction now ... but addiction kills

How has there not been enough education?

bababarararacucucudadada

I don't suppose smoking is any less, or more, harmful now than it ever was. I also think you are absolutely right about the lessening of the impact due to smokers, on average, smoking fewer cigarettes now than they used to.

Statistics are funny things though. Pick just one long-time killer disease: tuberculosis. It used to kill people in their droves. Once the BCG inocculation came along it was more or less eradicated. Take on big chunk of death out of the statistics and the propertion of the others will rise... Likewise poliomyelitis. Swallow you sugar lump and you are immune. Another big chunk of death eradicated. Another increase in those that remain... Likewise measles... Likewise any number of diseases that were once killers that are now either eradicated or treatable.

And, once again, people live longer now. The longer they live the more likely they are to develop a cancer.

Put those together and smoking-related lung cancer becomes an ever increasing cause of death but not because it has become more "dangerous".

Something has to kill you in the end. And will.

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
I don't suppose smoking is any less, or more, harmful now than it ever was. I also think you are absolutely right about the lessening of the impact due to smokers, on average, smoking fewer cigarettes now than they used to.

Statistics are funny things though. Pick just one long-time killer disease: tuberculosis. It used to kill people in their droves. Once the BCG inocculation came along it was more or less eradicated. Take on big chunk of death out of the statistics and the propertion of the others will rise... Likewise poliomyelitis. Swallow you sugar lump and you are immune. Another big chunk of death eradicated. Another increase in those that remain... Likewise measles... Likewise any number of diseases that were once killers that are now either eradicated or treatable.

And, once again, people live longer now. The longer they live the more likely they are to develop a cancer.

Put those together and smoking-related lung cancer becomes an ever increasing cause of death but not because it has become more "dangerous".

Something has to kill you in the end. And will.

Not me.

I am too much of a charming lovable rogue to die! ;)

Compared to me, Ian Macshane is a creepy old man flashing at girls in the park.