Author Topic: Most Pointless Vegetable?  (Read 341 times)

Je

Re: Most Pointless Vegetable?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 09:30:44 PM »
This thread and reading up on the goodness of cauliflower changed my tea... saw some  tonight and thought better have that... with gravy and other veg to give it some taste...

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 09:38:19 PM »
Gravy. That's another thing that makes crappy stuff taste good!

tequila_nic

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 10:59:10 AM »
Kale.

Nic

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 05:57:36 PM »
I remember a school trip to an arable farm my school made many years ago. We were shown around and there was quite a bit of acreage set aside for kale. I'd never even heard of it. "What's kale?" I asked. "Food for cows," the farmer replied.

Apparently people eat it now. Bizarre.

Je

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 07:55:38 PM »
Kale... never tried it but now you've mentioned it... it's got lots of protein and other goodies, looks fantastic...

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 01:15:46 PM »
Kale... never tried it but now you've mentioned it... it's got lots of protein and other goodies, looks fantastic...

Stick it in the oven at 100c for 30 mins, drizzle with olive oil and some sea salt before you put it in. It comes out far more palatable than when it went in, and slightly resembles that seaweed you get at the Chinese. I eat five platefulls every week. It is very good for you.

tequila_nic

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 01:29:43 PM »
Stick it in the oven at 100c for 30 mins, drizzle with olive oil and some sea salt before you put it in. It comes out far more palatable than when it went in, and slightly resembles that seaweed you get at the Chinese. I eat five platefulls every week. It is very good for you.

I add a drizzle of oil to a pan heat and fry the kale for about a min then add a few table spoons of water and put the lid on for 10 mins to steam.  Once done take the lid off and let it boil dry stir occasionally.

I get the same results as you tastes a lot better (for kale) and again is similar to the crispy seaweed you get from the Chinese

Nic

Visitor

• Banned from posting for my post 44. Bizarre.
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 01:55:22 PM »
I cannot believe this thread. :ROFL:

The seaweed from the Chinese is actually cabbage............

Kale is fabulously tasty.........simply boiled even......

Some vegetables are so much better with the right accompaniment or the right recipe.

Asparagus with a garlic mayonnaise , Jerusalem artichokes parboiled and then fried with garlic, tomatoes etc

Cook okra the right way and it is heavenly...........if you just boil it it is sort of disgusting....... :ROFL:........

Now to the dreaded cauliflower. Guys and gals, it also can be heavenly. Parboil it, dry it and shallow fry it until brown and delicious; serve with a lemon, olive oil, garlic and chilli paste vinaigrette , eaten hot or if there is any left cold the next day.

This is served best in a wonderful fried vegetable feast of all sorts. A plate of potatoes fried a bit like patatas bravas but with ginger and garlic and spices, a plate of dried and fried aubergine, long chilli peppers fried with ground coriander and garlic , blistered brown and tasty etc etc, tomatoes grilled for fun..........

Middle eastern fry up..........to rival the meat version. :)

Nigel Slater has a recipe for cauliflower I am going to test out.
https://www.thespruce.com/fried-cauliflower-recipe-by-nigel-slater-435287

Visitor

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 02:06:58 PM »
Carrots? They're OK when cooked and grated carrot in stuff I can tolerate.

Raw carrot sticks? Fuck off.

Juice them.

Serve cold.

Utterly delicious. Another Middle Eastern delight.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 02:47:28 PM »

Some vegetables are so much better with the right accompaniment or the right recipe.

Asparagus with a garlic mayonnaise , Jerusalem artichokes parboiled and then fried with garlic, tomatoes etc

Cook okra the right way and it is heavenly...........if you just boil it it is sort of disgusting....... :ROFL:........

Now to the dreaded cauliflower. Guys and gals, it also can be heavenly. Parboil it, dry it and shallow fry it until brown and delicious; serve with a lemon, olive oil, garlic and chilli paste vinaigrette , eaten hot or if there is any left cold the next day.

This is served best in a wonderful fried vegetable feast of all sorts. A plate of potatoes fried a bit like patatas bravas but with ginger and garlic and spices, a plate of dried and fried aubergine, long chilli peppers fried with ground coriander and garlic , blistered brown and tasty etc etc, tomatoes grilled for fun..........

If cauliflower is delicious why hide its taste with, and I quote, "lemon, olive oil, garlic and chilli paste vinaigrette" or, and I quote once again, "ginger and garlic and spices, a plate of dried and fried aubergine, long chilli peppers fried with ground coriander and garlic , blistered brown and tasty etc etc, tomatoes grilled for fun"?

I'm sure those dishes are delicious but it ain't the cauliflower that makes them so.

Visitor

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 02:52:52 PM »
I swear the cauliflower on its own cooked like that is delicious. Try it.

:)

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 03:00:44 PM »

I know the seaweed from the Chinese is cabbage.

It's all a matter of personal taste. Boiled Kale is disgusting to my pallete. As is spinach. Someone seved me creamed spinach once, and  almost puked over the table. I prefer spinach raw.

Visitor

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 03:09:21 PM »

It's all a matter of personal taste.

Yep.

Spinach? Raw? mmmmmmmmmmmm

just made me starving at the thought of a bacon , avocado,  raw spinach feast......the combination! ......who invented that? :)

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »

well fuck me with whatever implement comes to hand ... a visitor post I agree with!