Author Topic: When will the media stfu about Diana?  (Read 124 times)

Alizarin

• Building a country that works or everyon
When will the media stfu about Diana?
« on: September 01, 2017, 02:00:02 AM »
I'm noting the comments about a prog-rock musician who I've never heard of dying recently and although I'm not familiar with the work, it's another human being shuffling off this mortal coil - as every single one of us will do. 

The death of this prog-rock musician means nothing to me but the death of a musician that I like will mean much more, but the point is, why ram down other people's throats your favourites?  Don't get me wrong, the prog rock musician hasn't been rammed down anyone's throats at all, just respectable comments from those who liked his work. 

That brings me on to Diana.  The media wouldn't assume everyone is in mourning over a prog rock musician so why the endless mawkish sentimentalism for a woman who died 20 years ago?  FFS, we got enough of that mass-melodramatic grief at the time.  Most of it rather phoney.

Whether it be through a life caught tragically short or a life extended tragically long with all the fun of cancer, chronic debilitating disease, immobility or Alzheimer's.  Whether we stumble through life basically doing fuck all and achieving fuck all or we leave a massive legacy, virtuous or infamous. 

However, what occurs to me is the number of people who have lost loved one around this time and all they get from the media is Diana rammed down their fucking throats, like she was everyone's best friend forever.

We're all going to die, even if we like to think there may be a possibility of living forever like Noel Gallagher. 

The point I'm making is a long life might be life ended in much experience of misery, humiliation and pain.

So I'd wish the media would just STFU about Diana, ok so many loved her for her rather insignificant contributions like others might like Justin Beiber but so fucking what!  Do we have to have their inadequate sycophantic relationship with someone they never met swamp our media 20 years later?

Sir Rocis de Liver

Re: When will the media stfu about Diana?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 04:18:39 AM »
Thanks so much for starting this Thread.
Even your favourite paper is getting irritated.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4840324/BBC-obituary-editor-says-bored-Diana-coverage.html

Bloody Dianafascism all over again.
And now, I understand, there is to be a statue.
All the main TV channels have gone into overdrive.
For what?
An empty-headed frivolous Royal who had too much time  and money on her hands,
In my humble respectful opinion.
Ma'am
I am sorry  but it is totally cringeworthy and passes me by.

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:06:02 AM »
They'll still be going on about it, long after we've all kicked the bucket.

Digging this up, periodically has a lot of mileage. People still like to be seen to give a shit about this. I've no idea why, but they do. You'd have to fully understand the hypnotic power of media, and herd mentality to understand that one!

She is afforded similar levels of adoration in the media as Mandela. I actually quite liked the woman, but even so, I didn't know her, so sad though it all was, it was 20 years ago and it's time to move, and with reference to the other thread about John Wetton, Diana was never going to record a seminal prog rock album, so all in all, a bit of a no one  :P

Guzman

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 08:43:31 PM »
Im glad the thread i made about John Wetton has had a fair impact on someones mind, so im kind of honoured lol.   The media are only going on about her so much because she was part of the royal family.   But everyones life is precious and valuble, why is hers more precious and valuable just because she has linkage to the monarchy ?. 

I dont dislike the woman, got no reason to, but i remember someones critisism about her once.   They said "oh but Diana did so much for charity people say.  But yeah, everytime she did charity work, she always had camera's filming it.   What about the person who silently helps out at homeless shelters often ect?"

Alizarin

• Building a country that works or everyon
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 11:14:23 PM »
Im glad the thread i made about John Wetton has had a fair impact on someones mind, so im kind of honoured lol.   The media are only going on about her so much because she was part of the royal family.   But everyones life is precious and valuble, why is hers more precious and valuable just because she has linkage to the monarchy ?. 

I dont dislike the woman, got no reason to, but i remember someones critisism about her once.   They said "oh but Diana did so much for charity people say.  But yeah, everytime she did charity work, she always had camera's filming it.   What about the person who silently helps out at homeless shelters often ect?"

I wasn't having a dig at your thread at all, but just that while some people can mean quite a bit to some people but not really register with others.  John Weeton's just died so it's right and respectful to note his passing, but it's all been drowned out by the death of Diana 20 years ago. 

Fair enough lots liked her and I have no axe to grind there, but fgs, you'd think it happened yesterday rather than 20 years ago.  I know it gives the media a chance to fill newspapers with old stock photos rather than actual news and it gives Paul Burrell and assorted toadies another chance to dine out on her memory.

As New World pointed out, Diana wasn't quite up to making a seminal prog album so what did she do the world of progressive rock!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:04:50 AM by Alizarin »

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 08:49:05 PM »
The Diana thing is very complicated.

Basically she was just an acceptably pretty womb on legs so far as the Royals were concerned. She was employed to pump out babies and she did her duty (just as Kate is doing now) admirably. Once she had fulfilled the duty of providing an heir or two to the throne her purpose was served and she was basically chewed up and spat out.

The glut of adulterous sex that abounded then illustrated rather to clearly exactly how amoral the whole shooting match was and the Royals couldn't wait to get shot of her and get (sadly already married and probably barren) Camilla in but what nobody anticipated was the adoration she inspired not just here but globally. All she had to do was turn up, bat her baby blues and the whole world melted before her.

All any publication had to do was put her face on the cover and their sales soared so they photographed her, she posed endlessly and everybody was happy. Until the various shaggings around became too obvious and the world's press sniffed a huge story and even bigger sales. The papparazzi were the media's advanced troops and they chased her relentlessly and, ironically, caused her death.

There can be very few people in the entire world's history who has ever had to live under such pressure and, bizarrely, the only British figure who can understand what it was like is probably Paul Gascoigne - and look how fucked up he is now.

Simpering dumb Diana proved to be rather less dumb than was hoped. In time she became every bit as successful and ruthless a manipulator as the Royal Family and her death nearly brought the whole lot down.

Which leaves the media in something of a quandary. She was, still is - probably always will be - Big News and they killed the goose that laid the golden egg and marking tie 20th anniversary of her demise without drawing attention to their complicity is a tricky one.

And now 20 years later we are where we are. None the wiser and doing it all again with Kate.

All in all I prefer Prog Rock.