Author Topic: Queensferry Crossing  (Read 354 times)

Je

Queensferry Crossing
« on: August 30, 2017, 09:35:01 PM »
Less than half the cost of one of those stupid aircraft carriers built next to it and it's actually something useful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-41086779

Two people died in its construction. First traffic jam and breakdown today. 20 people a year jump off the old one and kill themselves... so maybe we'll have the first suicide soon. Or maybe they'll keep to the old bridge as that's being kept for pedestrians...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:36:48 PM by Je »

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
Re: Queensferry Crossing
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 10:37:07 PM »
built for 1.35Bn, 245Mn under max budget originally set aside for project ... only built because SNP were in power (a project Labour scrapped in 1997) ... no PFI used to fund bridge ... no charges to cross bridge

Sir Rocis de Liver

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 11:21:25 PM »
Please remember who funded this when you start spouting the 'independence' nonsense.
Me, an English taxpayer.
Thank you.

Visitor

• Banned from posting for my post 44. Bizarre.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 12:51:20 AM »
Please remember who funded this when you start spouting the 'independence' nonsense.
Me, an English taxpayer.
Thank you.
Really? YOU funded it? Nonsense! :ROFL:

Visitor

• Banned from posting for my post 44. Bizarre.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 01:38:49 AM »
Me, an English taxpayer.
Thank you.

I guess, following your own sweet logic, YOU are the fucker who financed the Iraq quagmire too.

Own up. :ROFL:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 02:04:26 PM by Visitor »

Alizarin

• Building a country that works or everyon
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 06:52:52 AM »
built for 1.35Bn, 245Mn under max budget originally set aside for project ... only built because SNP were in power (a project Labour scrapped in 1997) ... no PFI used to fund bridge ... no charges to cross bridge

You get a bridge the country gets a Tory government and Brexit, thanks Wee Jimmy

Je

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:51:49 AM »
Me, an English taxpayer.
Thank you.

Nonsense. It goes on that ginormous thing called the national debt. In the short term - the Chinese or somebody are paying for it. In the long term its yer grandchildren. If you don't have any then relax, it was FREE...

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 09:00:02 AM »
Nonsense. It goes on that ginormous thing called the national debt. In the short term - the Chinese or somebody are paying for it. In the long term its yer grandchildren. If you don't have any then relax, it was FREE...

:clap:

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 04:52:50 PM »
Me, an English taxpayer.
Thank you.
WRONG - it wasn't a UK funded project, UK said NO to funding it!
You aren't paying a penny to it unlike what happens with UK projects from general funding pot where everyone pays!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:05:55 PM by barky »

Sir Rocis de Liver

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 07:11:12 PM »
Sorry and thanks, Barky.
You're certainly more on the ball than this Thread's starter.
It looks a magnificent sight.
Saw it a few weeks ago and about the same time, saw the magnificent new aircraft carrier in the Moray Firth doing its sea trials.

Je

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 10:31:49 PM »
Ah yes, "the magnificent new aircraft carrier" without aircraft. They had some but they sold them off to the Americans for almost zilch.

Okay, I lie, the Royal Navy does actually have a plane that could fly from this otherwise useless ship...

https://www.navywings.org.uk/aircraft/all-aircraft/fairey-swordfish-mk-i-w5856/

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 12:21:50 PM »
Despite many offers of PFI and PPP Scotgov declined and went for the self financing route via the Scottish Futures Trust .

Incidentally... initial estimated cost of the project in 2007 was between 3.25 billion and 4.22 billion... this was revised to between 1.72 billion and 2.34 billion... so the bridges final cost of 1.35 billion is considerably under budget... god knows what it would cost if the process started today with the value of the pound

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 01:32:27 PM »
Despite many offers of PFI and PPP Scotgov declined and went for the self financing route via the Scottish Futures Trust .

Incidentally... initial estimated cost of the project in 2007 was between 3.25 billion and 4.22 billion... this was revised to between 1.72 billion and 2.34 billion... so the bridges final cost of 1.35 billion is considerably under budget... god knows what it would cost if the process started today with the value of the pound

You got a cut-price bridge? ;)

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 02:15:39 PM »
You got a cut-price bridge? ;)
compared to the typical UK government contracts whose budgets spiral upwards with final bill far, far more than original estimate .... yes.
Had bridge gone ahead under a Labour administration bill would likely have been well over double the amount ... with best part of 1Bn going on servicing the funding package alone

Sir Rocis de Liver

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 04:20:38 PM »
compared to the typical UK government contracts whose budgets spiral upwards with final bill far, far more than original estimate .... yes.
Had bridge gone ahead under a Labour administration bill would likely have been well over double the amount ... with best part of 1Bn going on servicing the funding package alone

Marvellous achievement, Barky.
It just shows what Scotland can do when it goes it alone.
Well done.
Never mind the muddled and failing educational system
Never mind the failing health care system.
Both under Nicola.
You have a great bridge.
And the rest of us in the U.K. will defend you with our marvellous new aircraft carrier, 'Queen Elizabeth'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/06/snp-fire-scottish-education-system-records-worst-ever-rating/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:23:47 PM by Sir Rocis de Liver »