Author Topic: A sign of the times  (Read 454 times)

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
Re: A sign of the times
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 12:51:11 PM »
Perhaps we could stop invading and thieving from Muslim lands....oh and a small matter of killing their civies with our "smart" bombs. Now that would be a good start...

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »
Nonsense.
How can you mistake saying terrorism is a current hazard, which it is, although vastly exaggerated, for surrender?
Nobody is surrendering.

It's always been a hazard. It's always existed in one shape or form. The 'tone' of what he said, suggested quite clearly IMO that we should just accept it the threat. You;re going to accuse me of being a racist in a minute, aren't you... go on, say it...  :yawn:

We surrendered years ago, and none of our foreign escapades have been anything to do with kurbing terrorism, and if they have been they have clearly failed.

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »
Perhaps we could stop invading and thieving from Muslim lands....oh and a small matter of killing their civies with our "smart" bombs. Now that would be a good start...

I agree, we should stop terrorising the Middle East, but I'm not convinced that would go very far to reduce terrorism in the west. Islamic extremists actually invest even more time killing fellow Muslims than they do killing westerners with vans, so  don't really buy into the idea that they are really that upset about what we've done to Iraq. The want an excuse to kill, becuase they beliee they have n other means of making their mark on the world, and the Iraq/Afghanistan conflicts give them that excuse.

Visitor

• Banned from posting for my post 44. Bizarre.
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 01:20:05 PM »
It's always been a hazard. It's always existed in one shape or form. The 'tone' of what he said, suggested quite clearly IMO that we should just accept it the threat. You;re going to accuse me of being a racist in a minute, aren't you... go on, say it...  :yawn:

We surrendered years ago, and none of our foreign escapades have been anything to do with kurbing terrorism, and if they have been they have clearly failed.

Fwiw, I don't think you are racist.

Who did we surrender to and when?

I personally think our response to terrorism is embarrassing; we get upset about terror on , comparatively, a very small scale, and not even in our country, where in other places there is terrorism  on such an unbelievable scale and nobody regards surrendering there, by those suffering it, in any way a possibility. Are we that effete, now?

We used not to care , with noble exceptions, who was being bombed in Spain; now we do.

One day we might have extended our sense of humanity to those in Yemen, too. We are one humanity.

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »
Fwiw, I don't think you are racist.

I personally think our response to terrorism is embarrassing; we get upset about terror on , comparatively, a very small scale, and not even in our country, where in other places there is terrorism  on such an unbelievable scale and nobody regards surrendering there, by those suffering it, in any way a possibility. Are we that effete, now?

We used not to care , with noble exceptions, who was being bombed in Spain; now we do.

One day we might have extended our sense of humanity to those in Yemen, too. We are one humanity.

We touche on this in another thread. People will feel more affceted by attacks closer to home on cultures they understand more. It's part of the human condition. You're not obliged to like it, it's just the way it is.

HOWEVER, if we were exposed to as much news about the horrors inflicted on Yemen by the Saudi's as we are to te relatively little carnage in Europe. Perspectives may shift....just a little. You would at least maybe see a little more activism! But there are reasons, why we don't see much of this footage, and those reasons are political and tied into our unconditional love of Saudi Arabia, and inexplicable desire to bury Iran.

Visitor

• Banned from posting for my post 44. Bizarre.
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2017, 01:50:34 PM »
We touche on this in another thread. People will feel more affceted by attacks closer to home on cultures they understand more. It's part of the human condition. You're not obliged to like it, it's just the way it is.

It is an interesting phenomenon; gradually we include more groups within our sphere of concern and include as one of us.

We used to have, very recently, horrible names for Italians and Spanish and even the French..............now we regard them as part of us. We have this idea of solidarity. The sooner that happens further afield the better; it isn't even spatial. Australia is further away than Yemen. Muslims live among us. Pakistan was our creation. etc etc

When will that solidarity extend to them?

We are very selective.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:53:02 PM by Visitor »

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 01:55:04 PM »
It is an interesting phenomenon; gradually we include more groups within our sphere of concern and include as one of us.

We used to have, very recently, horrible names for Italians and Spanish and even the French..............now we regard them as part of us. We have this idea of solidarity. The sooner that happens further afield the better; it isn't even spatial. Australia is further away than Yemen. Muslims live among us. Pakistan was our creation. etc etc

When will that solidarity extend to them?

We are very selective.

I dunno, Visitor. Perhaps when they accept Big Macs, MTV and stop spending ther lives on their knees praying and let Goldman Sachs run their countries..  ;)

Sir Rocis de Liver

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2017, 02:56:42 PM »
I thought this Thread was about the Total Eclipse in America.
Just seen on TV  'American' people cheering the sky.
Bloody loonies, explains Trump being elected President.