Author Topic: A sign of the times  (Read 455 times)

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
A sign of the times
« on: August 18, 2017, 08:58:02 AM »
Not a single mention on Facebook, this forum or any other forum I go on, about Barcelona.

That's not a criticism, just an observation. I guess we've reached a point where these attacks are so common they no longer warrent comment, beyond the realm of rolling news who are obliged to report it for days on end, with breathless excited reportage, and endless identical eye witness acounts for hour and hours.

Are we bored with terrorism now? Do we need a really big one to wake us up??

Je

Re: A sign of the times
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 09:33:04 AM »
There are countries in the middle east and North Africa that have been ripped apart by violence. Suffering thousands of such attacks. Apart from Western white people being attacked, what makes this one specially worthy of comment?

Wednesday 16 August: 25 killed

Tal Afar: 20 executed.

Baghdad: 1 man killed by IED leaving his house in Tha'ala; 1 body found in Rashidiya.

Mandali: 1 man killed and his son wounded by IED exploding under their car.

Baquba: 1 body found.

Tal al-Sibat Camp, Al Alam: 1 child dies from malnutrition and lack of basic services at camp for displaced in Salahuddin.

https://www.iraqbodycount.org/database/recent/

Did you even hear of the Tal Afar 20 executed?

The 10 killed by coalition air strike in Qaim on Sunday?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:37:52 AM by Je »

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 10:23:20 AM »
There are countries in the middle east and North Africa that have been ripped apart by violence. Suffering thousands of such attacks. Apart from Western white people being attacked, what makes this one specially worthy of comment?

Why would we care equally about atrocities in countries we have little or no connection to, and are already established war zones? If there was a terror attack resulting in hundreds of deaths in your home town, would you be equally as affected by it emotionally as you would by an attack in Kabul or a Saudi airstrike in Yemen? Of course you wouldn't, and that doesn't make you a racist, or make you ignorant. This NuLiberal requirement to be equally upset by any act of violence anywhere in the world is unrealistic. Of course every act of terrorism is equally abhorant, but the effect it has on you as an individual DOES depend on the connection you have to the country or culture the attack was inflicted on.

Back on thread...My point was that at one point everyone was up for having their say when something like this happened. Now, not even the racists can be arsed to pipe up with 'Bloody Muslims at it again" Is it all just a big bag of whatever, now?

Visitor

• Banned from posting for my post 44. Bizarre.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 01:00:34 PM »
On another thread an eminent member of the forum has been going on about the terrible habit of being selectively concerned about the oppressed

but we are now told that being selective about concern for the slaughtered is perfectly normal.

Strange.

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 01:21:03 PM »
If you're referring to me, you're memory is good. I've no idea what you're talking about, but then I am old and losing it. Can you link to the thread you're referring to?

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »
Our elected governments do a "better" job than these terrorist nutjobs. Can't see the big deal about 2 minutes of silence and all...I see double standards by the Western world. More like White lives matter.

Don't forget how our elected and so called democratic governments fund the opposition in various nations to get their man in...or drop vicious bombs to topple governments and in the process kill millions.

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 02:46:50 PM »
Have heart folks...we bleed the same blood. Don't give me this geographical or cultural bullshite.

Visitor

• Banned from posting for my post 44. Bizarre.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 02:47:56 PM »
If you're referring to me, you're memory is good. I've no idea what you're talking about, but then I am old and losing it. Can you link to the thread you're referring to?

I wasn't referring to you, NW.......the thread was the Glasto one.

You are known to me for just wanting to kill people, especially recently.

As to the theme of the thread I don't think people are bored of this terrorism, nor are people not commenting if you look under the articles about this on yahoo etc but I think people are weary and upset and concerned how powerless to prevent or dissuade.

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 03:00:20 PM »

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »
Not a single mention on Facebook, this forum or any other forum I go on, about Barcelona.

That's not a criticism, just an observation. I guess we've reached a point where these attacks are so common they no longer warrent comment, beyond the realm of rolling news who are obliged to report it for days on end, with breathless excited reportage, and endless identical eye witness acounts for hour and hours.

Are we bored with terrorism now? Do we need a really big one to wake us up??

I know what you mean and don't really disagree but I'd like to add that this, although it seems hardened and callous, may actually be a good thing.

The perpetrators of these acts want to provoke outrage. The outrage is easily turned to anger. Anger then fuels reprisals. The reprisals in turn harden the perceived grievances or injustices that caused he outrage the first instance.

The cycle has to be broken somewhere and here is as good a place as any.

Sir Rocis de Liver

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 07:38:32 AM »

Your oft-repeated sentiment.
And your point is?
Obviously this particular - European atrocity - is of alarm and relevance because it is close to home.
It concerns us in ways that your hand-wringing ones don't.
Perhaps you don't understand that.

Alizarin

• Brexshit means Brexshit
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 01:09:30 PM »
yes, it is a sign of the times.  I expect we've run out things to say now.  The argument's have been said, disgust and anger aired.  Contempt voiced.

It's not so much that we're jaded by these events it's more that we don't have a valid answer nor a solution to them.  It is the downside of multiculturalism and immigration but that doesn't mean we chuck the baby out with the bath water and ditch multiculturalism and immigration, because that's the worse option.  It could be nipped in the bud by authoritarian measures but no decent person should want that.

Sir Rocis de Liver

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »
Why would we care equally about atrocities in countries we have little or no connection to, and are already established war zones? If there was a terror attack resulting in hundreds of deaths in your home town, would you be equally as affected by it emotionally as you would by an attack in Kabul or a Saudi airstrike in Yemen? Of course you wouldn't, and that doesn't make you a racist, or make you ignorant. This NuLiberal requirement to be equally upset by any act of violence anywhere in the world is unrealistic. Of course every act of terrorism is equally abhorant, but the effect it has on you as an individual DOES depend on the connection you have to the country or culture the attack was inflicted on.

Back on thread...My point was that at one point everyone was up for having their say when something like this happened. Now, not even the racists can be arsed to pipe up with 'Bloody Muslims at it again" Is it all just a big bag of whatever, now?

Good post, NW
That's what I was trying to say, above.
And perfectly reasonable when so close to home and possibly knowing victims etc.
And not a conscious and deliberate decision to deny atrocities occur in far flung countries as the poster I responded to implies and whinges about.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 06:40:45 PM by Sir Rocis de Liver »

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 01:32:50 PM »
I wasn't referring to you, NW.......the thread was the Glasto one.

You are known to me for just wanting to kill people, especially recently.

As to the theme of the thread I don't think people are bored of this terrorism, nor are people not commenting if you look under the articles about this on yahoo etc but I think people are weary and upset and concerned how powerless to prevent or dissuade.

Yeah, I'd be the first to admit I'm in an 'angry phase' thanks to the apparent re-emergence of an embolened far right, bolstered by the tacit support of an elected president.

In my defence, I only advocate the culling of Nazi types, in the same way one would advocate the destruction of cancer cells in an otherwise healthy body. I accept that this position is not palatable for many and is contraversial and would never be enacted, leaving us with an ongoing problem of ever increasing hate and violence. With that in mind, we have - in part - the liberalista to blame for extremism.