Author Topic: Here are some riddles  (Read 169 times)

Guzman

Here are some riddles
« on: August 09, 2017, 09:46:45 PM »
Now no cheating.....no googling them.  See if you can work them out.   With the first riddle my hint is this.....really really really thoroughly pay attention to the question

1) I have 25p in my clenched left hand.    I only have 2 coins in my hand though.  One of them is not a 20 pence piece, so what do the coins consist of then?.

2) A boat in the sea not far from land has a net hanging over its side.   The net is 6 metres long.  3 metres of the net is under the surface of the water.   While the boat is there the tide comes in and the water becomes an extra metre higher.   How much of the net now is under water?.

3)  Your in a race, and during the race at one time you manage to overtake the person in 2nd place, what place are you now in?

4) A sun flower takes 6 months to grow 32 feet in height.   Every month the plant doubles its height, how many months did it take to grow 16 feet?.

Je

Re: Here are some riddles
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:42:49 AM »
1) Does this involve the 25p coin?

Or is it a cheat for two 5p coins?

-- oh hang on... just got it... one of them is not a 20p... the other one is duh...?

2) seen version of this before - so know the answer.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 08:46:10 AM by Je »

Guzman

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 12:45:54 PM »
Here is the answer to the first riddle.  The correct answer is...........the coins i have in my hand are one 5p coin, and one 20p coin.   The coin that is the 5p coin is not the 20p coin (I said ONE of the coins is not a 20p coin, i did not say BOTH of them are not a 20p coin).  Its one of those questions that plays on peoples common perceptions, thats why you really really really have to thoroughly read the question to yourself.

If you have seen the thriller movie Exam, that movie really plays on that aswell.  That movie is all about really thoroughly listening to rules and instructions given to you, and its quite clever what ends up being that 1 question they have to figure out (to be able to answer it)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:53:38 PM by Guzman »

V8

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 01:37:36 PM »

2) A boat in the sea not far from land has a net hanging over its side.   The net is 6 metres long.  3 metres of the net is under the surface of the water.   While the boat is there the tide comes in and the water becomes an extra metre higher.   How much of the net now is under water?.

3 metres still as the boat rises with the tide.

3)  Your in a race, and during the race at one time you manage to overtake the person in 2nd place, what place are you now in?

2nd, overtaking second place puts you into their position of 2nd

4) A sun flower takes 6 months to grow 32 feet in height.   Every month the plant doubles its height, how many months did it take to grow 16 feet?.

Either 5 months if you meant to grow to 16 feet, or 1 month to grow 16 feet from 16 to 32. Or none, as sunflower's don't have feet :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 01:39:39 PM by V8 »

Roger Miringpeis

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:56:55 PM »
Jesus fucking wept.

Guzman

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:09:29 PM »

3 metres still as the boat rises with the tide.

2nd, overtaking second place puts you into their position of 2nd

Either 5 months if you meant to grow to 16 feet, or 1 month to grow 16 feet from 16 to 32. Or none, as sunflower's don't have feet

Green = correct

With the 2nd riddle, some people will answer it with 4 meters.
With the 3rd riddle, many will answer it with 1st place....even i fell for that when when first told it  :-[
With the 4th riddle, some people will answer it with 3 months.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:11:43 PM by Guzman »

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 08:47:17 AM »
3 months? Why might anybody think that?

This is a classic example of exponential growth best addressed by working backwards. If after 6 months it is 32 feet then one month before (i.e after 5 months) it was half of that so 16 feet.

Isn't this really easy? Or am I reading this wrong?

V8

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 09:44:06 AM »
3 months? Why might anybody think that?

This is a classic example of exponential growth best addressed by working backwards. If after 6 months it is 32 feet then one month before (i.e after 5 months) it was half of that so 16 feet.

Isn't this really easy? Or am I reading this wrong?

No, it's really easy. I can't see where anyone could get 3 months from.

Guzman

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 04:33:49 PM »
Because if you dont thoroughly pay attention to the question, your brains too busy thinking "half".

This riddle was asked as one of the questions on a mystery game in The Crystal Maze once, and the contestant did answer it incorrectly.

16 is half of 32......3 months is half of 6 months.

Je

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 09:55:09 AM »
I thought five months for the sunflower one and decided that was the obvious answer... ergo no riddle... spent a while trying to think of the real answer... apart from thinking surely plants don't grow like that... isn't it more like so many inches a day... didn't get anywhere and gave up.

I'll confess, my brain was too thick for the running one... and probably the boat one when I first heard or saw it... must have been about 8 at the time though...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:57:45 AM by Je »