Author Topic: The great university Ponzi scheme scandal.  (Read 342 times)

bababarararacucucudadada

Re: The great university Ponzi scheme scandal.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 05:33:15 PM »
Did you have to pay fees and get a student loan etc, Je?

oake

• 6f616b65
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 05:52:33 PM »
... and double the money sounds much better... a debt you only have to pay back when you're earning over 21K and eventually gets written off...

So, to benefit from this temporary period of relative wealth, people would have to spend their entire working lives earning less than 21K, so that they never have to pay the loan back.

Otherwise, they'd have to earn very significantly more than 21K to survive the crippling repayments, and still be able to live a reasonably comfortable life.

I'm not sure it's quite as attractive an option as you're suggesting....

Natural Mystic

• hello
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 06:50:59 PM »
So, to benefit from this temporary period of relative wealth, people would have to spend their entire working lives earning less than 21K, so that they never have to pay the loan back.

Otherwise, they'd have to earn very significantly more than 21K to survive the crippling repayments, and still be able to live a reasonably comfortable life.

I'm not sure it's quite as attractive an option as you're suggesting....
I think its about 24 k now

Je

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 09:17:43 PM »
Did you have to pay fees and get a student loan etc, Je?

No, no fees and I got a grant - much more generous those days. I wouldn't be put off by the loan-when-you-can-afford-to-pay-it though that they have these days. I don't see the problem, except with the courses people should be educating themselves in - if they have an interest.

Its way better than the kicking people at the bottom of the pile are getting - loans for food when you're destitute...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:20:56 PM by Je »

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 09:47:54 PM »
Regarding the last point: two wrongs do not make a right.

Do you feel some sort of moral obligation to retrospectively pay 50K for your time at university?

I'm guessing that, given your views on today's students, you do but I may be wrong.

Je

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 08:24:51 AM »
Do you feel some sort of moral obligation to retrospectively pay 50K for your time at university?

No. To repeat myself: thinking of courses I did - its laughable that they might cost that much.

50p would be excessive for one of the courses I did. It was about teaching what suited the university rather than anything relevant to what the students needed to learn.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 12:12:47 PM »
I'm just trying to understand the mindset that grasps an opportunity offered to them but would deny the same opportunity being offered to others but I'm not getting very far.