Author Topic: What is grammar ?  (Read 495 times)

bababarararacucucudadada

Re: What is grammar ?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 11:36:03 PM »
The issue I have is not with Guz. It is with the usage of "would of". It just so happens that he seems to be the only one to use it.

This would appear not just to be lazy but a matter of Guz not actually knowing what it should be despite having been told explicitly what it should be which is a different thing altogether but I may be wrong... I don't know. It does matter though and I am trying to find out which it is.

Now if he is just being lazy then that is contemptible and he deserves all the abuse that might come his way but if he genuinely doesn't understand why it is wrong then that is another thing entirely and he deserves no abuse whatsoever but as much help as we, and anybody else, can give him.

All this "grammar nazi" stuff is just a cop out. It is a diversionary tactic being used to avoid the issue under discussion and is not helpful, least of all to Guz, at all.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:41:24 PM by bababarararacucucudadada »

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 11:42:11 PM »
I'm sure we've all seen this but it is amusing.

The European Commission has announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU, rather than German, which was the other contender. Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had room for improvement and has therefore accepted a five-year phasing in of "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make sivil servants jump for joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k", Which should klear up some konfusion and allow one key less on keyboards.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f", making words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e" is disgrasful.

By the fourth yer, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and everivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. ZE DREM VIL FINALI COM TRU!

Herr Schmidt

Visitor

• Banned from posting for my post 44. Bizarre.
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 10:18:19 AM »
  I think what grammar actually is is this........literal etiquacy

:ROFL:

literal etiquacy

So pleased this has been cleared up once and for all.

Guzman

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 11:41:15 AM »
Ok, what if i said that i will try to break the habit of putting "would of" instead of "would have" or "would've"?.   Me calling you a grammar nazi was not looking for a cop out, lets put it all into context here.   Your original approach towards me for informing me that "would of" was a poor display of grammar usage all began in the thread i made about that SJW woman who got all fiery at a grocery store owner because he displayed a confederate flag on his wall.  How you approached me in that thread was packaged as an attack towards me for it.   Especially when at first you displayed that childish "well if you dont know im not gonna tell you" attitude (even Sven had to insist that you told me what the problem was instead of making me guess it).

Je

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 12:46:09 PM »
I'm sure we've all seen this but it is amusing.

Life might be a lot easier if we switched to Unifon - phonetic English alphabet, end of spelling mistakes.

Je

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 12:47:48 PM »
I've started learning a bit more about grammar recently - and I found Word's grammar checker to be helpful - particularly with fragments... I'd been putting masses of those in my writing and not realising.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 01:39:46 PM »
Ok, what if i said that i will try to break the habit of putting "would of" instead of "would have" or "would've"?.   Me calling you a grammar nazi was not looking for a cop out, lets put it all into context here.   Your original approach towards me for informing me that "would of" was a poor display of grammar usage all began in the thread i made about that SJW woman who got all fiery at a grocery store owner because he displayed a confederate flag on his wall.  How you approached me in that thread was packaged as an attack towards me for it.   Especially when at first you displayed that childish "well if you dont know im not gonna tell you" attitude (even Sven had to insist that you told me what the problem was instead of making me guess it).

Excellent but a few questions remain unanswered...

Do you realise why a sentence should not begin with "because"?

(Which is absolutely correct by the way so well done for that one!)

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 01:47:27 PM »
I've started learning a bit more about grammar recently - and I found Word's grammar checker to be helpful - particularly with fragments... I'd been putting masses of those in my writing and not realising.

Don't place too much trust in MS Word grammar or spellcheck functions. They are both useful but neither are entirely perfect and both lead to an Americanization of English that may be neither required nor appropriate. Use both by all means but don't enslave yourself to their diktats and trust your instincts because not even Word is always right (even if it usually is!).

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 12:28:04 AM »

Do you realise why a sentence should not begin with "because"?

Is it because there is a law which states the word because should always be preceeded by a comma referencing a poposition preceeding the comma? What is the word for it? Conjunction seems too simplistic for me.

captainfly

• is fantastic!!!
  • HEY HO, LET'S GO!
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 08:01:48 AM »
Grammar helps to put context to the words used in a sentence anything more than that is pedantry.  If you are clever enough to see a grammatical error and still understand the intention of the writer then anything other than a polite and private word of advice is just a powertrip that makes you look like you have an empty joyless life with no other hardship than somebody else not following literary rules that you hold so dear or that you are a c**t not worthy of further time.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:36:35 PM by captainfly »

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 09:03:55 AM »
Is it because there is a law which states the word because should always be preceeded by a comma referencing a poposition preceeding the comma? What is the word for it? Conjunction seems too simplistic for me.

Conjunction it is.

A conjunction joins two ideas; there is always a before and after. Which is why a conjunction should not go at the start of a sentence.

It applies to the other conjunctions too: if, since, but, or, and, before etc

A comma can be important here. The bit before the conjunction is a main clause and the bit after the subordinate clause. However these can be reversed and this is often signified by a comma:

Despite the inevitable hangover, Bababa drank 15 pints of Guinness.

The above is a good example of good grammar being rather inelegant. Much better to say "Bababa drank 15 pints of Guinness despite the inevitable hangover".

But (there you go!) much of this is picky and can easily be over-looked without criticism because at least the words are the right ones. Just imagine the confusion if we all assign our own pet meanings to words that nobody else understands... Communication quite simply ceases to be meaningful and given that Messageboards are solely for communicating then their redundancy is sure to follow.

Guzman

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »
Good way of putting it Captainfly lol

What i cant stand though are people on forums and message boards where, when you make a thread about something, and they make a reply to you, and all they say as a reply is telling you you spelt so and so word wrong, or "its your're, not your", and they say no response at all towards the subject you posted about, to me that's just nothing but passive aggression there.

The only time i think that pointing out someones spelling or grammar misuse as a retort is fair game, is if the person is trying to attack you on your lack of smartness, education or trying to call you stupid.  If they make a reply like "stay off the internet and do the world a faver, coz your just dum and retarted", then their kind of asking for it really lol.

I cant really give you an answer as to why its wrong to begin a sentence with "because", only answer i can give is ....your're just not meant to, its sloppy.  Something to that effect.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 11:13:53 AM »
I've already given the explanation in my previous post about "because" but again you are right: it is sloppy.

Does it matter? Not much (it isn't one of those things that exercises me very much) mostly because it is actually not only a word but also the right one.

The reason I mentioned it was to try to establish your level of understanding. Somebody has told you this and you have remembered it. That is fine but it is not enough. That same person should also have told you why this is so along the lines of "you should not begin a sentence with "because" because it is a conjunction; a conjunction is a joining word and you cannot join a something to a nothing." They might have gone on to listing a few other conjunctions, too, and saying "you shouldn't start a sentence with these either".

It's kind of like the old proverb "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach him to fish and he will never be hungry". The first is good, and in some instances good enough, but the second is far better.

Guzman

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 11:55:27 AM »
Here's another food for thought.

Sometimes a persons spelling and grammar usage can give them away as a possible liar over something, i'll give you some examples.  If someone claims they are an antiques dealer for a living, and their company is a global company and they sell and distribute antiques all over the world, but they spell "shipping" as "sheeping", they cant be telling the truth, because "shipping" is a word that they would see so much in their line of work.

Earlier on in the year i spoke to a 37 year old from the USA that claimed they were a school teacher for a living, but their spelling and grammar was worse than mine, and they didnt know what the word "intense" meant.  Your a teacher for a living and you dont know what the word intense means???.  That would be like a plumber not knowing what a washer is, or a car mechanic not knowing what a piston or cylinder is.

Years ago i saw a video on youtube that was a parody on junk/con emails, and at one time it said this "please please please help me, my name is prince Akota Viya, and i am the last remaining monarch member of the royal family of Zimbabwe , please send me money to help save my family and help our monarchy survive.  And please also ignore the fact that i cannot spell Monarchy or Zimbabwe."  lol

captainfly

• is fantastic!!!
  • HEY HO, LET'S GO!
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 12:43:52 PM »
Actually the bad spelling, grammar and obvious discrepancies in scams like emails and advertisements is often used as a filter.  So that only the people who are not able to see this fall for it, a con usually won't work on smart people so why waste the scam on them.