Author Topic: Bull  (Read 185 times)

bababarararacucucudadada

Bull
« on: July 20, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »
My GLW is a fan of cops n robbers type TV. As a result we watch lots of Poirot, Morse, CSI etc and one of the programmes we have watched for years now is NCIS.

Just in case you haven't seen it NCIS is like the FBI but a branch of the US Navy. Sort of like Mod Plod in this country except it doesn't actually exist. There is a small team who catch the baddies and one of the team is Anthony Dinozo who has just left the series to star in his own right in a series named Bull. Dinozo was a fairly whacky character, often very jokey and with a flair for the unexpected approach. (As far as is possible within such a TV programme.)

Anyway there was sod all on the TV last night, I remembered that Bull had started this week on one the 5 channels and I got 5Player up to watch it.

GLW wasn't in the slightest interested to the point of being awkward about watching it. "Why don't you want to watch this? It is a new series. Episode #1. We've never seen this before. You can't know it is rubbish." I asked. "I don't like him."

I was flabbergasted. We've watched NCIS for about 15 years now. GLW watches the re-runs on the more obscure channels quite regularly. Dinozo has been absolutely central to everything for all that time.

"Why don't you like him?" "He mucks about too much." "That was just the character he played. He's an actor. This is a different character in a different show. He has stubble and glasses and everything. No Gibbs and Ducky. It is all different."

We watched the show. It was formulaically fine in the way that US TV procedural dramas often are. A little uninspiring. This is not something ever likely to set your blood racing.

GLW did not approve.

Despite having been married to the same woman for 22 years now she still surprises me on a regular basis.

I've never really leaned towards being gay but a relationship with a bloke must be loads simpler.

oake

• 6f616b65
Re: Bull
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 11:43:28 AM »
You've done something wrong.
Her attitude to the programme has nothing to do with the programme itself.
It's because you've done something wrong. Or failed to do something you should have done.
She's not going to tell you what it is you've done or failed to do, and you have almost no chance of figuring it out for yourself, but your failure to figure it out is equally reprehensible.
Have you learnt nothing in 22 years? ;D

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 12:00:43 PM »
I have learned a thing or two...

Although I must admit I thought I was on safe ground here. The alternative viewing was the England v Scotland Ladies' Football match last night and she's not keen on football.

You are probably right. I'm in the doghouse for some reason although the reason for this totally escapes me.

whitesage

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:22:21 PM »
It could just be a case of 'American series fatigue.'

We watch/watched many of the American series like Blindspot, 24, criminal minds, The Blacklist etc etc and whilst we have enjoyed them, they get too much.

We started watching House of Cards, recommended by the kids, 6 episodes in and not much happened. I checked out how many episodes there were and it's something like 72 or 84, 7 series etc. So we watched the British version, it was all over in 3 series of 6 episodes, and much more enjoyable, although I do like Kevin Spacey.

So, for the past few months we have stuck to Lewis, Midsomer Murders, father Brown, Foyles War  but also BBC and the other channels for things like Fearless, The Loch, In the Dark (we have to watch In the dark as the author lives across the road) Do you watched Poldark?

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 02:55:15 PM »
Poldark? Yes.

I'm not entirely happy with the way it objectifies its lead though. Entirely gratuitous.

Criminal Minds? Yes. Lewis? Yes? Foyle's War? Yes. Persons Of Interest? yes. In The Dark? Yes (new - isn't it? I think that's the one.) Father Brown? Yes. No to the others.

Some of them are better than others. Ripper Street. That's the best one. Absolutely sensational. If you are behind the pace there's only 5 series and the series are short too. Those US things all seem to have 26 episodes per series so once you are a series behind it is a huge commitment to catch up so we've never done Breaking Bad or The Wire.

We do have the first 4 series of Game Of Thrones on DVD. Not seen any of that either. Not my cup of tea really but it might even up the objectification a bit.

whitesage

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 04:26:17 PM »
Poldark? Yes.

I'm not entirely happy with the way it objectifies its lead though. Entirely gratuitous.

Criminal Minds? Yes. Lewis? Yes? Foyle's War? Yes. Persons Of Interest? yes. In The Dark? Yes (new - isn't it? I think that's the one.) Father Brown? Yes. No to the others.

Some of them are better than others. Ripper Street. That's the best one. Absolutely sensational. If you are behind the pace there's only 5 series and the series are short too. Those US things all seem to have 26 episodes per series so once you are a series behind it is a huge commitment to catch up so we've never done Breaking Bad or The Wire.

We do have the first 4 series of Game Of Thrones on DVD. Not seen any of that either. Not my cup of tea really but it might even up the objectification a bit.

Hahaha, something for the ladies, and some men,too :) Dr Enys is lovely too, and Lord Falmouth's nephew is lovely, too. I hadn't thought that it catered more for women than men.

I will try Ripper Street as some nights we have nothing, other than Monarch of the Glen  :-[ to watch (we love it though) And persons of interest.
The children put Game of Thrones on for us, and stayed in the room to watch with us, even though they have seen them all, and it was embarrassing as there are quite a bit of sex scenes, which I wouldn't have minded, but not with my kids!

If you can watch fearless, do so, I enjoyed that one, but the Loch.....the way it ended you got the feeling it was done so they could perhaps have another series. I won't be watching that one!

Haven't watched Breaking bad or the Wire....but I remember Wire in the blood, that was good, and Cracker. maybe I can get the kids to find them and re-watch as I have forgotten what happens being from so long ago. 

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 06:07:31 PM »
Cracker was excellent.

Ripper Street is better (and it isn't really about Jack The Ripper at all)!

The only thing that you may struggle with is the dialogue. It has a rhythm peculiar to the time of its setting and is a bit odd to modern ears. Stick with it though and you'll get used to it. It's proper, meaty, adult (not in that sense!) drama. Very hard hitting, positively brutal at times, with plotlines that weave in and out of one another but which converge in the end. The last episode approacheth and once it has arrived we're going to binge watch all of it again.

The Whitechapel of the time was not a place for the faint-hearted and the whole package is as exquisitely realised as any Poirot although it is so much grittier and grimier. It is absolutely top notch stuff.

plandalet

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 04:04:13 PM »
Cracker was excellent.

Ripper Street is better (and it isn't really about Jack The Ripper at all)!

The only thing that you may struggle with is the dialogue. It has a rhythm peculiar to the time of its setting and is a bit odd to modern ears. Stick with it though and you'll get used to it. It's proper, meaty, adult (not in that sense!) drama. Very hard hitting, positively brutal at times, with plotlines that weave in and out of one another but which converge in the end. The last episode approacheth and once it has arrived we're going to binge watch all of it again.

The Whitechapel of the time was not a place for the faint-hearted and the whole package is as exquisitely realised as any Poirot although it is so much grittier and grimier. It is absolutely top notch stuff.

I gave up on it after season 2. I might start again.

whitesage

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 09:00:20 PM »
Thank you for that bababar, it's free on Amazon prime and we are watching it. The language is fine as I love reading Victorian novels, so the rhythm is not peculiar to me. Off to watch Poldark now!