Author Topic: King Crimson are the greatest rock band that ever existed...  (Read 185 times)

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
If more people listened to and understood King Crimson the world would be a better place. Not necesarily happier, but slightly more 'interesting'

One of their earliest appearences was supporting the Rolling Stones in Hyde Park in front of around 500K people. When they performed '21st Century Schizoid Man' a stunned crowd gave them a ten minute ovation, having never heard rock music played like that before.

Crimson produced 13 albums in their career and although very influential, sat comfortably at the top of the 'Second division' of rock bands throughout the 70's. Big, but not huge. Widely heard of, but not widely heard. Band leader Robert Fripp has recorded with and produced Bowie, Blondie, Daryl hall, The Orb, The Future sound of London, Porcupine Tree to name but a few...

Fripp described KC as 'a way of doing things' It was rock music that went beyond even the conventions of prog rock. It took the whole concept of rock and pop and bent it out of shape in an unsettling and highly original way. Although Fripp has been somewhat dissmisive of the idea that they were trailblazers, their 1974 album Red is deemed by many to be the very first 'grunge' album, influencing the likes of Nirvana and Pearl Jam ( I personally disagree, but have a listen you decide...)

If you're not aware of this old band, give them a try. Throw out your Coldplay albums and listen to music that matters.

bababarararacucucudadada

Re: King Crimson are the greatest rock band that ever existed...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 11:03:12 AM »
Discipline.

That's the one that does it for me. Absoutely brilliant.

Robert Fripp is a bit of a one-off though. I'm pretty sure he has a form of autism which means that he just views the world differently to just about everybody else. This is then reflected in his music which is quite unlike anybody else's.

His individual brilliance as a session man led to to perform with all sorts of other brilliant performers and those who could put up with him usually ended up in King Crimson where everybody did Fripp's thang oblivious to commercial pressures: it's all about the music, maaaaan.

Fripp keeps a blog/diary which is well worth a look. He's often very funny and the game is trying to figure out if he's being funny on purpose or not.

https://www.dgmlive.com/word

Married to Toyah, too, which must be one of the more unlikely R 'n' R marriages but it seems to work for them and Toyah is still surprisingly hot so he's a lucky chap.

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »
Yeah, Toyah still looks lovely. She's a very nice lady too.

Discipline is a good album. I always liked Adrian Belews voice. That was the first of a string of three KC albums in the 80's which completely redefined their sound and upset a few die hard fans in the process. Matte Kudasai is a lovely song, but my fave tune on that album is probably Frame by Frame.

Listening to Fripp talk I would agree he may be somethwere on the autistic spectrum. He claims he was actually tone deaf and wanted to understand music at a technical level, rather than an emotional level. He's always surrounded himself with very talented and varied players.

I have an album called Sacred Sounds by Daryl Hall, produced by Fripp. Hall was very young then, and was the record companies poster boy; good looking, nice voice etc, but they hated the album thinking it was too wierd for a 'pop star' It's suprising good in parts, and you can hear Fripps mark all over it.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:08:59 PM »
I saw Toyah in concert a few weeks ago. She's a proper little goer, a fantastic performer and a far better singer than I ever imagined.

Back to Discipline I'd go for Thela Hun Ginjeet or Elephant Talk but it is all wonderful - probably my Desert Island CD; either that or Raindogs or Rust Never Sleeps or Sabotage or...

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 03:59:47 PM »
I saw Toyah in concert a few weeks ago. She's a proper little goer, a fantastic performer and a far better singer than I ever imagined.

Back to Discipline I'd go for Thela Hun Ginjeet or Elephant Talk but it is all wonderful - probably my Desert Island CD; either that or Raindogs or Rust Never Sleeps or Sabotage or...

Black Sabbath's Sabotage? If so, I agree, great album. My top Sabbath album.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 04:50:17 PM »
That's the badger.

Those first 6 Sabbath LPs might be the best run of releases by any band ever! All of 'em very good but Sabotage pips it for me with Vol 4 last.

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 05:15:58 PM »
That's the badger.

Those first 6 Sabbath LPs might be the best run of releases by any band ever! All of 'em very good but Sabotage pips it for me with Vol 4 last.

I like all their stuff including the albums with Dio. The weakest album with Ozzy, for me was Never say Die. I think their cocaine consumption as at its peak then! Vol 4 is very good as is Master of Reality.

Generally though, for me, the first 5 Crimson albums is the best run, possibly only equalled by the first 5 by Genesis (if we discount From Genesis to Revelation which many of us fanatics don't regard as their debut - same as the first Moody Blues albums is not the real Moody Blues)

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »
Tecnical Ecstasy wasn't up to much either.

First proper gig I went to was the Heaven and Hell tour with RJD. It was the last in the tour. They had flame throwers and used what remained of the gas up. I can't imagine it being allowed these days!