Author Topic: Toughest Sportsman?  (Read 677 times)

bababarararacucucudadada

Toughest Sportsman?
« on: July 19, 2017, 09:14:24 PM »
I'm wondering which sport the maddest, baddest, hardest bastards take part in.

I reckon I've nailed it down to a few:

Cycling: The sprints and up and down, especially down, mountains as fast as they can with only a t-shirt and shorts to protect them should they crash? Lunacy.

Horse Racing: Jump jockeys especially must have broken nearly every bone in their bodies. When working actually followed by an ambulance all of the time!

Motor Cycling: Crashing at nearly 200mph wearing only leathers?

Boxing: Obvious, this one.

Rugby: Also obvious.

Cases to be made for all of them but who are the actual real Iron Men? (or women)

Je

Re: Toughest Sportsman?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:59:31 PM »
The elephant... can carry five people on their back for miles... heavy lifting supremo.

The puniest large land mammal has nothing to offer but overblown ego. If we didn't have opposable thumbs and a large brain we'd be in the dustbin of history. Physical prowess - none whatsoever...

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:01:42 PM by Je »

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 10:09:59 PM »
Fair comment but elephants aren't exactly "men" in any recognisable sense of the term nor do they partake in sport.

That apart I'm with you all the way. Nothing chins an elephant, does it?

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 12:40:18 AM »
The elephant... can carry five people on their back for miles... heavy lifting supremo.

The puniest large land mammal has nothing to offer but overblown ego. If we didn't have opposable thumbs and a large brain we'd be in the dustbin of history. Physical prowess - none whatsoever...

Yes, that is the point.

Oh and we are way way way more physically adaptable than any other creature.
Name another single species of mammal that lives in the diverse range of environments which you find humans.
Rats are about the only thing which come close.

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 12:56:03 AM »
To answer the question, while combat sports, especially MMA and Boxing, require the most physical endurance and therefore toughness, the truly strongest do those things that are not really sports, but kind of are, like log rolling and competitive lumber jacking.

Rugby is the most physically dangerous of the ball and field sports, except kind of American Football, but American football lets itself down in skill, you just basically have to have one of three talents, if you include being fucking heavy as a "talent".

Historically Irish or Bare knuckle boxing required even more hardness and endurance.
Its a tricky but effective fighting style, but best if you are the kind of fucker who can take punishment as well as dish it.
Rocky Marciano could have done it, Naseem Hamed, no fucking way.
Hence it has gone out of popularity and is not really the best for self defence, so it does not even have a bit of a following.
It is semi still used in some martial arts, coincidentally perhaps, as it turns out most of the punches used would have been with the heel of the hand, rather than the knuckles. The heel of the hand can be used to hit harder, as a fist is actually relatively delicate and easily damaged against a skull or other hard mass of bone.

There was a Ancient Greek technique of wrestling that was basically to the death or submission, which is thought to have put everything today to utter shame. Without looking it up, I believe it was called Pankryon.   

If you ask most practitioners of specific martial arts, they will say their technique is the best and deadliest, however, I would say most of the traditional styles are roughly the same.
The mixed martial arts which are really becoming popular and used in the tournaments are far and away the best.
Virtually every "Pure" practitioner who has tried has been beaten utterly by an MMA champion of the same size and weight.

Also that Brazilian dance fighting thing is just utter faggotry. I realise groundfighting is an effective technique, but some very basic stuff in Krav Maga, (Jewish dirty fighting) will counter it no problem. 

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 12:35:35 PM »

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 12:37:32 PM »
What about these guys?

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 12:42:37 PM »

Yeah. Fine for taking on guys armed with muskets and bayonet at close quarters, but not really much good against competent hand fighters using other styles.

What about these guys?

Hobbit wrestling.

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 12:44:26 PM »
 :D

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »
Actually the more i think about it, while sumo is not good for self defence classes, a sumo wrestler would be a challenge to beat for many other styles.

Krav maga as always would optimise a vulnerability, such as forcing them to break an ankle.
But for a fair sportsman fight, I don't think there is much other to do than wear the sumo down with jabs and kicks, while keeping out of his grip.

V8

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 01:30:50 PM »
If we're talking injuries as an indicator of toughness, then I'll propose BMX freestyle riders, who literally risk their lives at times.

This is a picture of the legendary Matt Hoffman and some of the injuries he's sustained riding:

Watching a lot of BMX freestyle you see an awful lot of crashes, yet they usually jump back up and continue riding straight away. And then there's the issue of concussions and CTE, or chronic traumatic encephalopathy caused by the number of crashes they have. Dangerous sport, tough sportsmen.

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 01:01:48 AM »
If we're talking injuries as an indicator of toughness, then I'll propose BMX freestyle riders, who literally risk their lives at times.

This is a picture of the legendary Matt Hoffman and some of the injuries he's sustained riding:

Watching a lot of BMX freestyle you see an awful lot of crashes, yet they usually jump back up and continue riding straight away. And then there's the issue of concussions and CTE, or chronic traumatic encephalopathy caused by the number of crashes they have. Dangerous sport, tough sportsmen.

Fucking annoying overgrown boys, just like skaters!  :P

V8

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 02:45:27 PM »
Fucking annoying overgrown boys, just like skaters!  :P

Misery guts! Did you never ride a BMX or skate in your youth Sven?

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 03:22:46 PM »
Misery guts! Did you never ride a BMX or skate in your youth Sven?

Sven has been skating all his life V8. On thin ice ;)

V8

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 04:35:24 PM »
Sven has been skating all his life V8. On thin ice ;)

:)