Author Topic: Win10 updates issue  (Read 216 times)

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
Win10 updates issue
« on: July 17, 2017, 01:14:28 PM »
I've noticed for the last four days or so, whenever I go to shut down, or sleep my HP laptop, there are always updates to install with the shutdown or re-start, but they don't appear to be installing. They're clearly there ready to be installed but the re-start isn't kicking the proces off. It's not happened before.

Any idea's anyone?

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
Re: Win10 updates issue
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »
Had seen similar recently
Check windows activation is behaving, a computer of mine was suddenly saying it wasn't activated last week after an update & it was a bit fiddly to fix -- easy if you've got a microsoft account set up though (I haven't bothered!)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:40:06 PM by barky »

Guzman

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:30:47 PM »
I dont like Windows 10!!!!!, i can see now why so many bash it.

I dont like the fact that my copy of Word 2000 cannot be installed on it.....your forced to buy a latest version of it online, or nothing.  But yet on my windows 7 and windows 8 pc's i can install it on.

I also dont like the fact that i cannot figure out how to get it where i can reformat my pc back to factory settings and have windows 10 be on it again.   Its a shame that pc's later than windows 7 stopped supplying pc's with discs so you can easily reformat it back to factory settings.

Later edit:  And this is ultra annoying for the windows 10 netbook pc i bought last year, that hardly has any hardrive space on at all.   To update it at all, it needs nearly all my hard drive space that i got to be able to (all your factory setting programmes on there take up quite a bit of hardrive space purely by themselves).  So this means inless i can figure out how to restore my pc back to factory settings with a new update version of windows 10, i can never update the dam thing!!!.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:36:26 PM by Guzman »

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »
what do you mean word 2000 or nothing? lots of alternatives these days!

try Abiword for a stand alone word processor ... libreoffice if you have the space

as for returning to settings > update & security > reset this pc

Guzman

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:30:09 PM »

as for returning to settings > update & security > reset this pc

Tried all that, i just keep getting the message "has been unsuccessful, no changes have been made".  Every avenue ive tried has just been a dead end

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:38:18 PM »

tequila_nic

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 11:19:57 PM »
I dont like Windows 10!!!!!, i can see now why so many bash it.

I dont like the fact that my copy of Word 2000 cannot be installed on it.....

:) 15 year old software.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Nic

barky

• Design Consultant
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 11:38:08 PM »
:) 15 year old software.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Nic
not quite that old, suspect you meant staroffice,  but openoffice is on the slow development path - about 1 a year & seems to still be 32bit only for windows! - original programmers jumped ship long ago to form LibreOffice http://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ ... more features & far more frequent updates & any update openoffice gets libreoffice gets BUT not the other way round thanks to the way they are licenced!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:39:54 PM by barky »

tequila_nic

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »
not quite that old, suspect you meant staroffice,  but openoffice is on the slow development path - about 1 a year & seems to still be 32bit only for windows! - original programmers jumped ship long ago to form LibreOffice http://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ ... more features & far more frequent updates & any update openoffice gets libreoffice gets BUT not the other way round thanks to the way they are licenced!

Office 2000 was released in 1999 it is now 2017 you do the math (I was being generous with 15 years)

Nope Open office still better than 2000 :) hence the recommendation but yes there are PLENTY of alternatives out there

Nic

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 08:17:37 PM »
The spec for W10 is for a chip 1 GHtz or more. My chip is 1 GHtz and it went tits up.

As an aside I wouldn't go near W10 with a 1 GHtz chip.

And I detest W8.

tequila_nic

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 08:35:33 AM »
The spec for W10 is for a chip 1 GHtz or more. My chip is 1 GHtz and it went tits up.

As an aside I wouldn't go near W10 with a 1 GHtz chip.

And I detest W8.

W8 was sodding awful

It's worth the time and effort getting into Linux if you're not a game player.

Nic

Je

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 09:36:52 AM »
Office 2000 was released in 1999 it is now 2017 you do the math (I was being generous with 15 years)
Nic

At least one famous writer is still using a DOS word processor... if it does the job...

tequila_nic

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 11:38:06 AM »
At least one famous writer is still using a DOS word processor... if it does the job...

:) and some still use pen and ink.........

But given the claim was 'I dont like the fact that my copy of Word 2000 cannot be installed on it.' it should be clear it doesn't 'do the job' :)

Nic

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 02:25:49 PM »
All my updates installed last night in one super massive bundle! Took over 90 mins with about three automatic re-starts. I got an alert that they were overdure and do I want to "Re-start and install now?" Yes, I fucking do. I've been re-starting repeatedly for days without installations happening!

All fine now, anyway.

Generally I don't mind Win10. I had Win8.1 before and migrated over a year ago, and Win 10 is generally better. The only feature I don't like is that fucking Cortana thing popping up when you touch the mouse slightly differently to normal. Can that be disabled?

tequila_nic

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 02:37:15 PM »
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2949759/windows/killing-cortana-how-to-disable-windows-10s-info-hungry-digital-assistant.html

Nic
All my updates installed last night in one super massive bundle! Took over 90 mins with about three automatic re-starts. I got an alert that they were overdure and do I want to "Re-start and install now?" Yes, I fucking do. I've been re-starting repeatedly for days without installations happening!

All fine now, anyway.

Generally I don't mind Win10. I had Win8.1 before and migrated over a year ago, and Win 10 is generally better. The only feature I don't like is that fucking Cortana thing popping up when you touch the mouse slightly differently to normal. Can that be disabled?