Author Topic: Le Tour  (Read 266 times)

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
Le Tour
« on: July 01, 2017, 02:40:57 PM »
First time (possibly) it starts in Germany. Just started in rainy Dusseldorf. So it will be Geh! Geh! Geh! rather Allez! Allez! Allez!
The whole shebang being shown on ITV 4. Great fun.
I'll be bringing up the rear of the peloton.

bababarararacucucudadada

Re: Le Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »
Do you remember when Le Tour was in Plymouth?

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 02:59:36 AM »
Do you remember when Le Tour was in Plymouth?

I don't don't think it ever was. That was the Tour of Britain not the Tour of France.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 03:38:24 AM »
It did. 1974.

! No longer available

I still have the official programme somewhere. Problem is I have, literally, 100s of programmes from Argyle games and sorting through them to find it will be a real pain.

Can't say I remember much about it.

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »
^^^ I got up this morning and thought Barbar is right. So I have just searched found a video then came here and you have already posted it. I stand corrected. Amazing footage from back then. :D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:59:21 PM by Q13.1 »

Visitor

• Banned from posting for my post 44. Bizarre.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 10:56:41 PM »
There is a beeb article about this which makes it out to be a bit Monty Python.

Tour de France: The disastrous 1974 Plymouth stage

Forty years ago the world's biggest bike race crossed the channel for the first time. However, the slightly strange Plymouth stage was such a disaster the Tour did not return to the UK for another 20 years. But was British ignorance to blame?
"We were treated like illegal immigrants," says former professional cyclist Barry Hoban, of the welcome the riders got from customs officials at Exeter Airport.
With all of them herded into a locked room, he claims he had to kick on the door to get let out.
As one of only two British riders on the 1974 race, the other cyclists turned to the Yorkshireman for an explanation.

Image caption
Tour organisers turned down the hills of Dartmoor in favour of the A38

"'Barry, what's happening, what's happening?' they asked, 'It's not my fault!'" he said of the experience, adding: "I was embarrassed to be British."

END QUOTE

So far, so normal. But the 1974 Tour was unusual in that it strayed outside mainland Europe for the first time.
It had all been the idea of the artichoke growers of Brittany. They had decided a great way to promote their produce in the UK would be to fund the Tour's first ever visit there,

the transport to and from England was not the only problem. The insipid route of the stage - up and down a short stretch of the recently-opened A38 Plympton bypass - was also unpopular with riders.
"I've ridden twelve Tours de France and that was the most boring stage I've ever, ever ridden,"

"The Plympton bypass was five miles long and all you had were people at either end, and no-one in between.

Full version of tale here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-28090246

Visitor

• Banned from posting for my post 44. Bizarre.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »
First time (possibly) it starts in Germany.

Actually the fourth.

Cologne 1965
Frankfurt 1980
West Berlin 1987

And good news that this has happened again, this year. Rejuvenation.

“There was a period of mad love between Germany and the Tour, followed by another of utter indifference,” Prudhomme says. “But now we have returned to a more serene and peaceful relationship.”

At the start of the current decade, German cycling had lost everything. It had no teams: Deutsche Telekom left the sport in 2008, while Milram disbanded in 2010. It had lost all of its star names after Jan Ullrich and Erik Zabel quit the sport. And it had also lost most of its major races, most notably with the cancellation of the Tour of Germany in 2008. Perhaps most importantly, German TV channels had dropped the Tour de France and other races from their programming.

The exodus from the sport stemmed from the country’s high-profile doping controversies in the mid-2000s.

Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/06/tour-de-france/tour-de-france-returns-germany-style_441384#uP2U0kabMzvW02GU.99

If we were allowed signatures

"Please don't compare the Champs Élysée to the Plympton bypass,"

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 01:44:46 PM »
Absolutely.

One is in the greatest city in the world and the other is in France.

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »
Nasty crash yesterday Cavendish out with a fractured shoulder blade and the World Champion Peter Sagan kicked off the tour as well as having the book thrown at him.

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 12:59:16 PM »
Todays mountain stage is shaping up to be very interesting.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 05:02:12 PM »
I think the rider that has won this stage has won the last three TdFs. Something like that.

Not in the top 10 here? Forget winning Le Tour.

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 07:54:30 PM »
I think the rider that has won this stage has won the last three TdFs. Something like that.

Not in the top 10 here? Forget winning Le Tour.

That's right Barbar. Yesterdays stage, sprinters, was deemed to have been won by 6mm !!!

Tomorrow's is the most brutal stage for the climbers and it is so hot there. I just do not know how they do it.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 08:42:21 PM »
Drugs, mate.

That's how they do it.

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 04:37:10 AM »
Well it was a rest day yesterday, thankfully.
All this watching four hours a day of cycling I can tell you is pretty exhausting.
What do you say Captain?

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 04:29:59 PM »
Le Tour today goes through or ends in the city of Pau. I only know this originally because I bought a pc game. Anyone know what sporting event historically also took place in Pau?