Author Topic: Glastonbury 2017  (Read 928 times)

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
Re: Glastonbury 2017
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 02:23:50 PM »
Thom Yorke's reaction to pro-palestinian supporters makes whole band down ... referring to them as "some fucking people" over & over + giving them the middle finger at same time .... and band happily playing in Israel too ... fuck em

V8

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 02:31:40 PM »
Thom Yorke's reaction to pro-palestinian supporters makes whole band down ... referring to them as "some fucking people" over & over + giving them the middle finger at same time .... and band happily playing in Israel too ... fuck em

When was this Barky?

Visitor

• Banned from posting for my post 44. Bizarre.
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 11:07:04 AM »
V8, did you ever bother to find out?

barky, I am disappointed you did not reply  to V8 and take the opportunity to give him some info on this particular case and BDS and all the cases of the pro Israelis trying to prevent pro Palestinian artists from just playing.

There has been a concerted effort against Roger Waters....even having a film 'Wish you weren't here' doing the rounds....... trying to ban him in New York, even.....and now upping the efforts against Gilad Atzmon.

V8 might listen to you.

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 06:13:01 PM »
V8, did you ever bother to find out?

barky, I am disappointed you did not reply  to V8 and take the opportunity to give him some info on this particular case and BDS and all the cases of the pro Israelis trying to prevent pro Palestinian artists from just playing.

There has been a concerted effort against Roger Waters....even having a film 'Wish you weren't here' doing the rounds....... trying to ban him in New York, even.....and now upping the efforts against Gilad Atzmon.

V8 might listen to you.

forgot I'd posted that here! https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/07/palestinian-activists-disrupt-radiohead-concert-in-scotland/

tequila_nic

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 11:10:46 AM »
Agree about OK Computer, but I love all of their more recent stuff too and find myself listening to those more than OK Computer. Their latest album is just amazing, with each of the members showing what they've been up to between albums, especially Greenwood's classical composer work. I love that each album they do is different from the last, that they innovate and surprise every time.  And then it all comes together live to fantastic effect drawing on one of the best, most varied back catalogues in the business.

Agree. The latest album is excellent, as was In Rainbows.

V8

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »
forgot I'd posted that here! https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/07/palestinian-activists-disrupt-radiohead-concert-in-scotland/

Thanks. I did look into it a little at the time, and from what I can gather, Thom Yorke and the rest of Radiohead simply do not "agree with the cultural ban at all". That is there prerogative, and he has his reasons. The gig they played in Israel had a Jewish-Arabic support band, and Johnny Greenwood is even married to an Arab Jew, so the main objection seems to be to the open letter Waters et al posted, which seemed to be assuming Radiohead are somehow unaware and made their decision out of ignorance. As Yorke said, "playing in a country isn't the same as endorsing its government".

Here's an interview with one of the support acts who sums it all up pretty well, showing that even some of those BDS claim they're campaigning for don't want sanctions, that they're counter-productive. And then you look at the people involved in BDS, as per Nic's link and they're a bunch of anti-Semite holocaust deniers. I'd have given them the fucking finger too.

Arab-Israeli singer Nasreen Qadri on Tuesday blasted supporters of the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) movement for urging Radiohead to cancel its concert in Tel Aviv, which is scheduled for Wednesday.

Dozens of artists, including notorious anti-Israel activist Roger Waters, sent a letter to Radiohead urging the band to cancel its Tel Aviv concert in order to “pressure Israel to end its violation of basic rights and international law.”

Thom Yorke, the band’s frontman, later fired back at the boycott calls, calling them “an extraordinary waste of energy”.

Qadri, who will share the stage with Radiohead at Wednesday’s concert, wrote in an op-ed for Newsweek on Tuesday that calls for the band to boycott Israel are “counter-productive and only hurting those who wish to promote peace and tolerance in a troubled region.”

“This approach is hurting me. I am a Muslim Arab woman. I am a singer. And this Wednesday, I will share the stage with Radiohead in their concert,” she added.

“I was born in Haifa and grew up in Lod—two cities with a mix of Arab and Jewish communities, living side by side. It wasn’t always easy, but my personal experience has taught me that open dialogue is the only way to overcome our differences. Ever since I won a singing competition on Israeli TV, my music and my story have inspired many in Israel to open their minds and hearts to Arabic music and my people's culture,” continued Qadri.

“I have dedicated my life to music, and dedicated my music to breaking down borders and bringing people closer together. That is why this past year I did what no other Arab-Israeli has done before, and sang in Israel's official Independence and Memorial Day ceremonies.”

Noting that Yorke had pointed out that “playing in a country isn't the same as endorsing its government," Qadri added, “I believe that it has everything to do with endorsing its people, and using music to engage with them. After all, if we don’t engage one another, and work together, we will never find peace between us.”

“This Wednesday, I will also perform alongside one of Israel's most talented artists, Dudu Tassa—a Jewish singer—to bring a message of co-existence to every corner of the country. The two of us were fortunate enough to be invited by Thom Yorke to tour with Radiohead across the U.S. earlier this year,” she wrote.

“I must admit, I had never heard of Radiohead before receiving Yorke’s invitation, but that tour changed my life and was one of the peaks of my career. A peak I am looking forward to ascending again this week when I share the stage with Radiohead in front of a sold out crowd in Tel Aviv.”

“An Arabic proverb says ‘music is the nutrition of the spirit.’ Music feeds people’s spirits and opens them up. Music builds bridges and this is exactly what I am hoping to achieve through this concert,” she stressed.

“Those who call for boycott are only trying to divide us. They are trying to shut down the music. I will not be a part of that. Sadly, there are too many countries in the Middle East in which such a concert could have never taken place,” wrote Qadri, who added, “I was lucky to be born in Israel, and I am grateful for the opportunity to build bridges of understanding.”

Radiohead is one of many artists that have in recent years been targeted by BDS activists and pressured to cancel shows in Israel.

Many musicians have ignored the calls and went ahead with performances in Israel, such as popular rhythm and blues artist Alicia Keys and pop duo Pet Shop Boys.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/232667

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 05:37:42 PM »
It's difficult to take anything seriously that includes the words "notorious anti-Israel activist Roger Waters".

Balanced? Objective? Hardly.

V8

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
It's difficult to take anything seriously that includes the words "notorious anti-Israel activist Roger Waters".

Balanced? Objective? Hardly.

Which part of it do you object to? Notorious? Anti-Israel? Activist?

He's involved with BDS, and they are a very questionable organisation , with spikes in antisemitism wherever they go:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39719314

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bds-is-continuing-to-spread-hate-and-anti-semitism_us_592dab59e4b075342b52c080

Even the Germans have opposed BDS for Anti-semitism:

http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/German-Chancellor-Merkels-party-labels-BDS-antisemitic-474715

And if anyone knows about anti-Semitism, it's the Germans.

I've just read an interview with Waters which is quite relevant, this part in particular:

"What about those artists who come to Israel to perform and say, “Let’s separate music from politics”?

“They’re not actually saying, ‘Let’s separate politics from music.’ They’re actually saying, ‘I care more about my work and career than I care about these oppressed people. I’m very happy to care about the oppressed people, but not to the point where I’ll let it interfere with my career.’ That’s what they’re saying. So they’re showing themselves to be people who actually don’t care. They have no care for what’s going on in Gaza.”

http://www.haaretz.com/news/1.668705

And yet, recent world tours by Waters have played in China and UAE, both oppressive regimes that disregard human rights when it suits them, so was he putting his career first there? Did he think he could change things by going to those countries, or does he just not care about those oppressed people?

From the same interview:

What about those who say, “I’ll go and play there, and I’ll try to convince the Israelis”?

“I can look them in the eye and say, ‘You’re on a false errand, that’s not going to happen. You’re not going to change the minds of the people in the Knesset and get them to behave in a legal, proper and humane way toward the occupied Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank.’ It will not work. It doesn’t work. It didn’t help the situation in South Africa back in the 1980s and ‘90s with Rod Stewart and Elton John and Dionne Warwick, and whoever the few others were – there were very few of them – like Queen, going and playing in Sun City.

The irony is, he's also played Israel, in 2006, despite being asked not to. He chose to ignore those requests, just as Radiohead have chosen to ignore his request. He should respect their choice.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 08:40:14 PM »
"Notorious" is the bit I would question. I don't think he's notorious in any way at all.

Why Israel and not other places? You'd have to ask him but I do know he travelled around the area before he was famous for being a Floydy so perhaps it has something to do with that?

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 02:22:18 AM »
What is next on Roger Water's tour dates........ oh yes Riyadh Saudi Arabia, then a few UAE states culminating in Pyongyang NK.

Sad bastard.

Has he got a new song? A twist on "sing if you are glad to be gay"?

Sing if you are glad to be:
A zionist right wing racist bastard
An mysogenist who likes to decapitate women in public
You fear being sent to a work camp by your fascist ruler.

Maybe I am missing something here, but I know waters is a cretin.

V8

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 09:39:38 AM »
"Notorious" is the bit I would question. I don't think he's notorious in any way at all.

Having done a bit of research into this, it would appear he's certainly notorious amongst the Jews. He's been involved with BDS for quite a long time.

Why Israel and not other places? You'd have to ask him but I do know he travelled around the area before he was famous for being a Floydy so perhaps it has something to do with that?

he gives a reason in the interview I linked to, it's because he played Israel and found out what it was like there, yet he'd seek to deny other bands a similar "road to Damascus" moment by going there and seeing for themselves. In his case, he says he played there despite calls not to out of ignorance, so now he assumes all other's who choose to play there are like him, ignorant, or putting theri careers above their morals, like he did, but in Radiohead's case they are an informed band making an informed choice.

I mentioned the other countries he's played in to highlight his hypocrisy on this matter.

V8

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 09:42:48 AM »
What is next on Roger Water's tour dates........ oh yes Riyadh Saudi Arabia, then a few UAE states culminating in Pyongyang NK.

Sad bastard.

Has he got a new song? A twist on "sing if you are glad to be gay"?

Sing if you are glad to be:
A zionist right wing racist bastard
An mysogenist who likes to decapitate women in public
You fear being sent to a work camp by your fascist ruler.

Maybe I am missing something here, but I know waters is a cretin.

Exactly, all the things he accuses Radiohead of, putting their career ahead of their morals, not caring about the oppressed, he's just as fucking guilty of if not more. Fucking rock stars and their pet projects. He should concentrate on his music and actually learning to sing rather than publicly bitching about other bands in open letters to the press.

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 10:40:36 AM »
Exactly, all the things he accuses Radiohead of, putting their career ahead of their morals, not caring about the oppressed, he's just as fucking guilty of if not more. Fucking rock stars and their pet projects. He should concentrate on his music and actually learning to sing rather than publicly bitching about other bands in open letters to the press.

Indeed, and I don't think Radiohead really need to worry about furthering their career. They're in a pretty good place and have been for years. I actually like Waters and share his concerns about the oppression of the Palestinains, but firstly I would say keep politics out of music, and also beware hipocrisies all round. I've noted the liberal support for any kind of boycott on Israel; actions that impact on the people, not the regime, but have also noted their opposition to boycotts or sanctions placed on other countries on the grounds that it hurts the people, not the regime. You can't have it both ways, and there are plenty of Israeli Jews who strongly oppose their governments policies.

Also tragic that a thread on Glastonbury has descended into a slangfing match about a problem none of us really understand fully.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
I don't see how you can keep politics out of music nor why you would want to.

In fact the decision to be musically apolitical is a poitical one in itself...

! No longer available