Author Topic: Glastonbury 2017  (Read 933 times)

bababarararacucucudadada

Glastonbury 2017
« on: June 23, 2017, 11:37:05 PM »
Just accidentally caught some Margo Price in the nether reaches of the BBC's coverage.

Both types of music: country and western. With a bit of funk, southern boogie and psychedelia.

Never heard of her before but she has my seal of approval.

bababarararacucucudadada

Re: Glastonbury 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 12:29:20 AM »
The Flaming Lips!

That hamster ball gizmo is brilliant!

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »
Radiohead were incredible. Live, they are beyond rock music. I know some people don't get it, and that's a real shame.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 10:02:17 AM »
I'm one of them.

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »
I'm one of them.

You're one of many! Never has a band polarised opinion so much. I see that as a positive thing in itself.

People dismiss them as miserable. I would say they are 'dark' but miserable doesn't really describe them IMO. In the same way, I never understood people saying the Smiths were miserable when in fact most of their tunes were somewhat jaunty, and the lyrics rather funny...if you have a dark sense of humour.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 12:37:40 PM »
I don't mind dark at all. Never happier than when immersing myself in Nick Cave's world... In many ways they are an ideal headliner: those who like 'em love 'em and for those who don't there's lots of other stages. I'd've been off watching the Flaming Lips had I been there hoping that many 1000s of others had hit the Pyramid for Radiohead.

barky

• Design Consultant
  • Ethnic Nationalism is a Cancer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 04:06:20 PM »
Radiohead were incredible. Live, they are beyond rock music. I know some people don't get it, and that's a real shame.
post 'the bends' they are to me just weird artpop & painful

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 10:07:46 PM »
! No longer available

Jezzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Proud to be a Corbynista !!!

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 07:44:48 PM »
Barry Gibb was pretty awesome.

Return of the Mac

• The 140 character man
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 10:20:18 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-prime-minister-trident-michael-eavis_uk_59500b88e4b02734df2b25ad

Trident....yes...should go...at least then, our government will behave in a civilised manner than following the law of the jungle.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 12:47:47 AM »

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 10:38:33 AM »
post 'the bends' they are to me just weird artpop & painful

The Bends is brilliant, but OK Computer is pure genius, beyond that they had moments of brilliance and some moments of 'WTF?' But live I think they are mesmorising. I'm a prog rock fanatic, so I love the 'artrock' element.

Are you going to see Nick Cave later this year? I was going with a friend, but can't make the O2 show. That's the wrong sort of venue for him IMO. The first time I saw him was at the Reading festival back in the 80's. I've never forgotten that show.

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 10:40:28 AM »
Foo Fighters were also exellent. A good and obvious choice of headliner.

As much as Ed Sheeran means nothing to me, I thought he done well out there on his own on that huge stage. A confident performance. Barry Gibb, I struggle to take seriously tbh. Chic were pretty good though.

V8

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 10:52:34 AM »

Amazing set by Radiohead at Glastonbury this year. Saw so many complaints on fb about it, people claiming to be fans but complaining that they didn't play a greatest hits set. to me, that's what it was, the whole set worked really well, sounded fantastic, just a fantastic selection of songs to play and despite the miserable tag, they looked like they were really enjoying themselves up there, Thom was on good form engaging and chatting with the audience, just perfect all round.

V8

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 10:58:59 AM »
The Bends is brilliant, but OK Computer is pure genius, beyond that they had moments of brilliance and some moments of 'WTF?' But live I think they are mesmorising. I'm a prog rock fanatic, so I love the 'artrock' element.

Agree about OK Computer, but I love all of their more recent stuff too and find myself listening to those more than OK Computer. Their latest album is just amazing, with each of the members showing what they've been up to between albums, especially Greenwood's classical composer work. I love that each album they do is different from the last, that they innovate and surprise every time.  And then it all comes together live to fantastic effect drawing on one of the best, most varied back catalogues in the business.