Author Topic: WiFi Intermittently drops out  (Read 198 times)

bababarararacucucudadada

WiFi Intermittently drops out
« on: June 13, 2017, 09:21:44 PM »
I'm a very middle-of-the-road sort of techie type. I'm not entirely useless but nor am I in any way expert so please bear that in mind when replying.

Every now and then our WiFi signal drops out. I can't pin any reason for it happening; it seems to be random.

But that makes little sense to me. If it was hardware fault then it would work or it would not, surely?

So does the amount of WiFi signal arriving to my house vary very much according to external third party users meaning that when my household signal gets beamed out there ain't much to beam? Or should I reset something?

Or get on to BT and give 'em some earache?

Or what?

Just done a speed est and I'm getting 21.9 bps downlaod and 0.02 mbps upload:

" Latency: 82 ms
Server: Leeds
Your Internet speed is fast

Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos at the same time."

Which seems OK.

Any bright ideas out there?

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
Re: WiFi Intermittently drops out
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:37:05 PM »
Try periodically resetting the router.

Basically a router is a small computer dedicated to providing your internet connection.

Like all computers its RAM and Cache get filled up and they just require the occasional clearing.

Routers tend to be as simple as fuck with very little other than this which can go wrong.

The only hardware fault that is anything like common on them tends to be issues related to power surges.
So provided you get your leccy from the national grid, and don't have any 50 copper poles on your roof, you should be fine.

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 10:38:10 PM »
Why the fuck is your server in Leeds? Don't they have servers nearer you?

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 10:41:01 PM »
Ask me one on sport.

I just did the Google speed test. That was what it said. I know no more.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 10:47:51 PM »
Try periodically resetting the router.

Basically a router is a small computer dedicated to providing your internet connection.

Like all computers its RAM and Cache get filled up and they just require the occasional clearing.

Routers tend to be as simple as fuck with very little other than this which can go wrong.

The only hardware fault that is anything like common on them tends to be issues related to power surges.
So provided you get your leccy from the national grid, and don't have any 50 copper poles on your roof, you should be fine.

OK. Thanks. It's just a case of the old turn it off and turn it on again then...

Or could the issue be with the target device?

To be honest I don't have much trouble with it but my boy is always whingeing about it and in particular he can't get WiFi in our bathroom on his mobile. Could the issue be with his phone?

New World

• IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »
Has it always been this way with your current router, or is the bad signal a recent development? How old is the router?

Won't hurt to call your service provider. You may just need a new up to date hub. I replaced my BT hub about 18 months. I was having the same problem. My hub was old, so I upgraded to their most recent hub, for a small installation charge IIRC, and haven't had the problem since.

I think there must be cheaper providers than BT out there too. Mind you, they all start dirt cheap, lock you in then start fleecing you! Fuckers.

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 09:11:27 AM »
For some reason we couldn't get Netflix through You TV. BT sent us a new hub then and that was about 6 months ago so the gizmo is current and new (ish).

I don't have much of a problem with it. Seems to work fine for me but every now and then our TV loses WiFi and my boy, who uses it all the time with gaming and so on, is always manking about it. He thinks it is useless and I can barely see a problem...

Sven

• Goran Sphincter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 02:01:39 AM »
OK. Thanks. It's just a case of the old turn it off and turn it on again then...

Or could the issue be with the target device?

To be honest I don't have much trouble with it but my boy is always whingeing about it and in particular he can't get WiFi in our bathroom on his mobile. Could the issue be with his phone?

Possibly, possibly not. A bathroom will undoubtedly have copper or some other similar metal piping, so that kind of hardware in the walls will cause interference.
I have found that phones and tablets, shit or top quality tend to suffer from loss of connection at distance, or more commonly, if something pretty heavy, like a fridge or concrete rebar wall, is in the way.
Laptops tend to be a bit more reliable at a distance, but remember, you are dealing with pretty much the same thing as good old fashioned radio waves, so they are subject to the ability of the receiver.
One in any kind of computer is going to be better, simply because they are not trying to shove something quite complex into a small space.

Your boy is just being a millennial. If he wants uninterrupted gaming, then he needs a good old fashioned wire for today's games.

Wi fi will periodically crash or stop working, just because it is prone to do so. The very fact that basically a dedicated localised radio signal can provide more information per second than transmitted yearly for most of the last century, and be affordable to most working people is fucking astounding.

Make him join some Luddite scouts and don't let him back on his PlayStation till he can make a serviceable knife from flint. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:05:32 AM by Sven »

bababarararacucucudadada

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 12:45:32 PM »
I'll give that a try!