Author Topic: Nash The Slash, RIP  (Read 141 times)

bababarararacucucudadada

Nash The Slash, RIP
« on: May 21, 2017, 12:10:22 AM »
I was just watching a TOTP re-run from 1983 featuring amongst others Howard Jones. As HJ did his bit surrounded by keyboards I was reminded of Nash The Slash who I was saw in a pokey little Plymouth club around the same time.

He was a remarkable act. The stage was shrouded in white sheets and took to it wearing a full tuxedo, a top hat and with his face entirely swathed in bandages in a mummyesque fashion above which he wore sunglasses.

What followed was sensational. He was a multi-instrumentalist (aka one man band) and set going a load of synthesised sequences above which he played electric violin, mostly, and electric mandolin, sometimes.

As he did so there was lots of dry ice and the monochromacity was enhanced/obliterated by the stage lighting.

Among the songs, mostly his own - some instrumentals, was a few cover versions: 19th Nervous Breakdown, Baba O'Riley, Dead Man's Curve, Houses Of The Holy.

I was explaining to Mrs B what the act was like and Googled him only to discover that he had died in 2014 having retired disillusioned from the music industry after 40 years of ploughing his own furrow to a degree of uncompromised success (although the fact that none of you have probably ever heard of him shows the extent of his integrity and the limit to his success).

Anyway discovering that both he quit through disillusionment and has since died has upset me a little.

I know this post will hardly impact on the cosmos but he's remembered here, now, by me and that's about all I can do.

Thanks Nash. I thought you were brilliant and I am so, so sorry it ended this way.

He never really had any hits. Dead Man's Curve was about as close as he ever got but this is far more representative of what he did so give it a go, crank it up, give thanks, spare a thought, shed a tear and a raise a nearby glass to him because the world is both a slightly worse place for his passing but a slightly better one because he was here at all.

ӝ

"Can I call you Nash?" an interviewer once asked him.
"You can call me by my middle name" he replied.
"OK. What is it?"
"The."

Q13.1

• RAF Upper Heyford
    • Me
Re: Nash The Slash, RIP
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 12:17:01 AM »
I remember his name, must have been young.